The Referendum Thread

Lanarkshire_Bud

Scottish Independence Referendum  

286 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Ouch - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-26538402

A £12Bn deficit on a total budget of £65Bn. The Scottish Government is proving even more hopeless at managing the economy than Tony Blair and Gordon Browns governments down at Westminster - and you don't even have a bank bail out to blame it on. Poor show John Swinney. Poor show.

Uk deficit of 96 billion pounds or is it double ?

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2013/12/12/uk-deficit-figures_n_4430765.html

Well I've shown many times how by scrapping welfare, state education and healthcare - and by paying out the collective annual spend as a dividend to every UK Resident UK Citizens - the UK Government could wipe out the National Debt and any sign of a deficit almost immediately. Unfortunately mainstream political parties appear to be reluctant to take such a radical step but no matter, what the excersize does prove is that the UK still has sufficient assets to cover it's liabilities and then some. Could the same be said of an Independent Scotland?

Yesterdays budget showed that since coming to power in 2008 the Coalition Government has managed to reduce the deficit from £156Bn, inherited from Gordon Browns Labour Government, to £96Bn. As a percentage of GDP we can see that the intense pressure that was building on the UK economy prior to 2008 has eased and the government is forecasting that by 2018 there will be no annual deficit any more. Today Alex Salmond said at First Minister Questions that he still believed that the SNP predictions that the cost of a barrel of North Sea Oil would never fall below $113 was conservative and realistic, despite the fact that a barrel of oil is currently trading at $105.85 and that over the period of the last year the peak trading price - and it was only there for hours - was $115 per barrel. All of the so called "costings" for Independence have been based on this $113 figure which appears to be highly optimistic.

Edited by Stuart Dickson

Well I've shown many times how by scrapping welfare, state education and healthcare - and by paying out the collective annual spend as a dividend to every UK Resident UK Citizens - the UK Government could wipe out the National Debt and any sign of a deficit almost immediately. Unfortunately mainstream political parties appear to be reluctant to take such a radical step but no matter, what the excersize does prove is that the UK still has sufficient assets to cover it's liabilities and then some. Could the same be said of an Independent Scotland?

Yesterdays budget showed that since coming to power in 2008 the Coalition Government has managed to reduce the deficit from £156Bn, inherited from Gordon Browns Labour Government, to £96Bn. As a percentage of GDP we can see that the intense pressure that was building on the UK economy prior to 2008 has eased and the government is forecasting that by 2018 there will be no annual deficit any more. Today Alex Salmond said at First Minister Questions that he still believed that the SNP predictions that the cost of a barrel of North Sea Oil would never fall below $113 was conservative and realistic, despite the fact that a barrel of oil is currently trading at $105.85 and that over the period of the last year the peak trading price - and it was only there for hours - was $115 per barrel. All of the so called "costings" for Independence have been based on this $113 figure which appears to be highly optimistic.

They're reluctant because it's a load of s***e

Dicko still trolling and reeling folk in argue.gif

Maybe it's all true and I'm just misjudging him but is the following not a fair summary?

He presents the image of a staunch Tory, likens the SNP to the Nazis, a wealthy individual with TV's in his 4 (or whatever it is) bathrooms, dislikes the public service including the NHS, lives in Wishaw and supports Sunderland. He dislikes Paisley, and just about everything to do St Mirren and Scottish football in general.

Yet persists in posting his 'alternative' views on a website dedicated to St Mirren supporters. How could anyone be bothered!?

Guest TPAFKATS

Ouch - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-26538402

A £12Bn deficit on a total budget of £65Bn. The Scottish Government is proving even more hopeless at managing the economy than Tony Blair and Gordon Browns governments down at Westminster - and you don't even have a bank bail out to blame it on. Poor show John Swinney. Poor show.

But the Scottish Gov only spends the pocket money it receives from westminster.

Poor show dicko...poor show

Guest TPAFKATS

Oil revenues

Since Dec 2013 the Office Budget Responsibility (OBR) have revised oil price forecast up (from $97.4 to $99.3 per barrel), however this is still well below other forecasting agencies.

OBR Oil Production forecast remains un revised at 39.2 million tonnes (290milion barrels) per year, despite the oil & gas industry forecasting a marked recovery in production levels.

OBR also dont take into account the Wood Review which predicts ADDITIONAL production of 3 to 4 billion barrels (150million – 200million barrels per year over 20 years).

Oh, and they've also revised down their revenue forecasts by £3bn/year.

All seems like a re-run of 1979... I smell Westminster shite!

Guest TPAFKATS

I see Johann Lamont's devo max, sorry devo lite, actually its more like devo nano proposals came out the other day. After almost 3 years we have around 300 pages of nothingness summarised by her being annihilated by Gordon Brewer on newsnicht.

Labour in Scotland would've been better to just raise a white flag.

Oil revenues

Since Dec 2013 the Office Budget Responsibility (OBR) have revised oil price forecast up (from $97.4 to $99.3 per barrel), however this is still well below other forecasting agencies.

OBR Oil Production forecast remains un revised at 39.2 million tonnes (290milion barrels) per year, despite the oil & gas industry forecasting a marked recovery in production levels.

OBR also dont take into account the Wood Review which predicts ADDITIONAL production of 3 to 4 billion barrels (150million – 200million barrels per year over 20 years).

Oh, and they've also revised down their revenue forecasts by £3bn/year.

All seems like a re-run of 1979... I smell Westminster shite!

Never mind forecasts and predictions Tony, what is the REAL price for Brent Crude today?

No need to look it up - it's $105.97 right now. That's quite a bit better than the $99.80 that it was at last month, but it's still absolutely nowhere near the $113 per barrel that the Scottish Government have based all their figures on. And laughably the Nationalists will tell you that the Conservatives are responsible for fuel poverty whilst they carry on praying that the prices go up so their figures look remotely realistic.

Even the advisor's that the SNP hired to do their financial projections warned them that $113 per barrel was too optimistic and we haven't even started talking about the amount of deposits in the North Sea that are economically viable to extract yet. Thank f**k the SNP don't get more than pocket money to play with - they'er f**king hopeless at forecasts and predictions when it comes to the economy. Poor old Alex Salmond even thought that RBS buying ABN Amro was a good idea.......:rolleyes:

Edited by Stuart Dickson

Guest TPAFKATS

How many times dicko, it was darling who pushed through the sale without the due diligence that he should have undertaken. It was also darling who had Goodwin as an advisor.

Stop telling porkies!

How many times dicko, it was darling who pushed through the sale without the due diligence that he should have undertaken. It was also darling who had Goodwin as an advisor.

Stop telling porkies!

Aye right!

He's reached the pathological liar stage now.

Edited by FTOF

Page not found? Aye very good :rolleyes:

It's currently $106.23

I take it you do understand that commodity prices move all the time. The SNP's problem is that it's not managing to get above the rate that they have based all their economic costings on - as Alex Salmond confirmed today that figure was $113 - and they set that over ambitious rate despite concerns and warnings from ALL of their economic advisor's

I wouldn't trust Alex Salmond, Nicola Sturgeon and John Swinney to run a f**king chip shop never mind a country.

It's starting to feel like there's an air of inevitability about all of this.

http://www.scotsman.com/news/politics/top-stories/scottish-independence-panelbase-poll-boosts-yes-1-3347389

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2014/mar/18/scottish-independence-scotland

The trend is one of a closing gap.

The crucial figure is the one which talks about those who've decided how to vote.

Don't knows don't count because that's not a voting option.

It's just 53-47 now for No and this is simply a continuation of the gradual erosion of the Yes vote since the SNP released the white paper.

A combination of the budget this week, the puerile threats and Lamont's absolutely pathetic devo max "offering" might be the game changers.

We're starting to get close to critical mass on this and there is STILL 6 months to go.

The Guardian article talks about the build up of steam at local meetings.

I'm seeing the same thing happening everywhere. Every phone in, every meeting, every debate is starting to swing into voice proposing to go for a Yes.

Devo max voters are now perhaps realising that Labour have nothing to offer to entice a No vote other than the status quo.

This could end up being an absolute bloody massacre for the No campaign.

If it IS a massacre, how many Tory, Lib Dem and Labour politicians will have to resign their posts?

Am I even going to get the chance to use the word "zeitgeist" befroe September comes?

Edited by oaksoft

Guest TPAFKATS

The price of oil will rise and fall as you point out. Yet you seem surprised that it isn't $113 all the time? You do know that it has been over $120 in the past?

Of course, you appear to be making that classic BT mistake of assuming that Scotlands oil is the be all and end all of the economy. Or do you just enjoy spinning scare stories and misinformation?

The price of oil will rise and fall as you point out. Yet you seem surprised that it isn't $113 all the time? You do know that it has been over $120 in the past?

Of course, you appear to be making that classic BT mistake of assuming that Scotlands oil is the be all and end all of the economy. Or do you just enjoy spinning scare stories and misinformation?

Tony TBH nobody in the country really cares enough about this stuff anymore.

People are starting to get caught up in the emotion of it and IMO the die has been cast.

People will, as predicted, allow themselves to face down the threats and take our chances.

This is going to happen whether the Dicksons and Lex's of this world want it or not.

We should really be savouring this moment.

We're seeing history in action.

This will be taught in schools hundreds of years from now.

Enjoy the moment bud.

Tony TBH nobody in the country really cares enough about this stuff anymore.

People are starting to get caught up in the emotion of it and IMO the die has been cast.

People will, as predicted, allow themselves to face down the threats and take our chances.

This is going to happen whether the Dicksons and Lex's of this world want it or not.

We should really be savouring this moment.

We're seeing history in action.

This will be taught in schools hundreds of years from now.

Enjoy the moment bud.

:)

Stop telling porkies!

Do you honestly believe that it's in the Chancellor of the Exchequer's remit to carry out due diligence for an independent bank?

Yes I do know that it has been over $120 in the past and if North Sea Oil producers were able to extract all of their annual oil production quota on that day and sell it to market without the flood affecting price then the SNP might have rubbed their hands together, whilst motorists, home owners and businesses bemoaned crippling fuel costs.

However in reality the oil producers did not manage to extract a years worth of oil on that day and the figures for the whole of last year show that Brent Crude did not make the over ambitious SNP target at any point. We can see the catastrophic effect this had on John Swinney's budget as Scotland showed a massive budget deficit in a system where Scots have no access to the bond market to borrow money.

Now as we all know overspending your pocket money budget isn't so bad when your parents are there to bail you out, but what happens if Scotland does become an Independent country? The UK Government has been successfully reducing the deficit year on year - are Scots really going to vote for a situation where our inept politicians at Hollyrood will put us right back at square one? A vote for Independence is clearly a vote for a new Darien scheme. Scotland would be f**ked within a couple of years and the begging bowl will be out looking for foreign hand outs at any price.

It's starting to feel like there's an air of inevitability about all of this.

http://www.scotsman.com/news/politics/top-stories/scottish-independence-panelbase-poll-boosts-yes-1-3347389

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2014/mar/18/scottish-independence-scotland

The trend is one of a closing gap.

The crucial figure is the one which talks about those who've decided how to vote.

Don't knows don't count because that's not a voting option.

It's just 53-47 now for No and this is simply a continuation of the gradual erosion of the Yes vote since the SNP released the white paper.

A combination of the budget this week, the puerile threats and Lamont's absolutely pathetic devo max "offering" might be the game changers.

We're starting to get close to critical mass on this and there is STILL 6 months to go.

The Guardian article talks about the build up of steam at local meetings.

I'm seeing the same thing happening everywhere. Every phone in, every meeting, every debate is starting to swing into voice proposing to go for a Yes.

Devo max voters are now perhaps realising that Labour have nothing to offer to entice a No vote other than the status quo.

This could end up being an absolute bloody massacre for the No campaign.

If it IS a massacre, how many Tory, Lib Dem and Labour politicians will have to resign their posts?

Am I even going to get the chance to use the word "zeitgeist" befroe September comes?

lol.giflol.giflol.giflol.gif

I love it when you do this. For the last month and a half you've stated that these opinion polls mean nothing. You even got so huffy on it you stopped posting on the thread, then one rogue poll later and your back with an attempt to claim that this shows the Yes campaign is going to win....:rolleyes:

These polls always have an error margin of around 3%. If you have a look at this poll and the others the same company has produced it still backs up the fact that around 46% - 49% of Scots will vote No, and around 36% - 39% of Scots will vote Yes and there's a load of people who still haven't made their minds up - and who may never make their minds up.

The real trend - as you have alluded to in your post - is that voters have become increasingly entrenched. There is a significant number of brainwashed Yes voters for whom this is simply an ideological vote, you are one of them. For them there is no reasoning, there's no point in asking for proof that will never come. For them the truth and the facts bear little significance and I guess that's fair enough. On the other side there is a significant number of people like me, like the many Scottish business owners who are concerned about the effect of Independence on their business and who are concerned about the consequences for our children of making the wrong choice, leading Scotland down an irreversible road to bankruptcy, mass unemployment, huge increases in taxation, and to a country where we have a fantastic fibre optic communications network but where we can't power the equipment to run it cause the wind isn't blowing in the right direction.

I wouldn't discount the effect of the don't knows yet though Oaksoft. The remain hugely significant and even if the poll figures are right and that some of the don't knows recently moved into the Yes camp - the one thing that is for certain is that they will be the ones who aren't entrenched yet at all and who could just as easily be coaxed away if there continues to be no proof from the SNP on how they plan to finance their post independence pledges.

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/05f0aa0a-aecb-11e3-a088-00144feab7de.html#axzz2wb3FPDst

I see you once again haven't replied once you've been proved to be a liar yet again and you then mention for them the truth and the facts bear little significance. lol.gif

So can you prove and show that the price of Brent Crude Oil was below $100 this year never mind the just the month you claim.

I found the figure in a newspaper article Cockles. I presume that the figure wasn't a close of business figure, hence why your Nasdaq chart doesn't show it. However it hardly defeats the important point that is being made. The SNP's whole White Paper nonsense, last years Scottish budget, in fact everything that Scottish Independence is being built on is based on a Brent Crude figure that hasn't been achieved at all in the last twelve months, and which has never been sustained for more than a few days at any point in history.

You and your brainwashed pals can keep trying to deflect attention away from that fact but the SNP took this figure of $113 per barrel despite all the best advise from their own advisor. I said yesterday i wouldn't trust Salmond, Sturgeon and Swinney to run a chip shop - well I think we can take that further today. I wouldn't even let them near a jumble sale such is their appalling grasp of economics.

That's disingenuous, Rick, the pressure applied by Darling meant that due diligence couldn't be carried out. But you knew that was the point ts was making.

I don't see anything disingenuous. And how much evidence is there that Darling applied pressure? Goodwin's responsibility was to RBS customers and their shareholders and he could tell any cabinet minister to sod away off and give him peace. Goodwin and Tom McKillop lied to their back teeth over the £12B. rights issue in 2008 when the writing was already on the wall. It has been described as robbing Peter to pay Paul and that seems like a good description. The shareholders will have their day in court. If Goodwin and McKillop lied to their shareholders, they probably lied to Darling too. Goodwin did not have to listen to anyone but he was clearly a megalomaniac who was never going to anyway. What you're saying, S/buddie, is that it was Darling's fault?

Guest TPAFKATS

Alicsammin (copyright scottish labour) wasn't in a position of any great influence with regards rbs takeovers. Darling was - and was also in a position to ensure due diligence. He also had Goodwin as an advisor ( not sure if this was paid or not).

My point to dicko, once again, was that he is being disingenuous by placing the blame at Alicsammin's door.