The Referendum Thread

Lanarkshire_Bud

Scottish Independence Referendum  

286 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Guest TPAFKATS

Yes I do know that it has been over $120 in the past and if North Sea Oil producers were able to extract all of their annual oil production quota on that day and sell it to market without the flood affecting price then the SNP might have rubbed their hands together, whilst motorists, home owners and businesses bemoaned crippling fuel costs.

However in reality the oil producers did not manage to extract a years worth of oil on that day and the figures for the whole of last year show that Brent Crude did not make the over ambitious SNP target at any point. We can see the catastrophic effect this had on John Swinney's budget as Scotland showed a massive budget deficit in a system where Scots have no access to the bond market to borrow money.

Now as we all know overspending your pocket money budget isn't so bad when your parents are there to bail you out, but what happens if Scotland does become an Independent country? The UK Government has been successfully reducing the deficit year on year - are Scots really going to vote for a situation where our inept politicians at Hollyrood will put us right back at square one? A vote for Independence is clearly a vote for a new Darien scheme. Scotland would be f**ked within a couple of years and the begging bowl will be out looking for foreign hand outs at any price.

We're only f**ked if we rely purely on oil and gas for the economy. You appear to think this is what we should do.

You also seem to ignore all longterm forecasts which have oil prices rising.

You also don't seem to realise that the UK government hasn't been reducing the deficit. They have been growingit along with public borrowing.

Ah, f**k it, you know all this, you're just a trolling liar

Edited by TPAFKATS

Alicsammin (copyright scottish labour) wasn't in a position of any great influence with regards rbs takeovers. Darling was - and was also in a position to ensure due diligence. He also had Goodwin as an advisor ( not sure if this was paid or not).

My point to dicko, once again, was that he is being disingenuous by placing the blame at Alicsammin's door.

I've never accused Alex Salmond of having any involvement in the RBS fiasco. He was certainly guilty of a really stupid remark. Responsibility for due diligence rested entirely with the RBS board and unfortunately that meant Goodwin who had effectively carte blanche with the bank. Do you remember the 'bean counting' remark? It should be unthinkable that the RBS board didn't carry out due diligence but it didn't. I repeat, it certainly isn't down to any chancellor to do due diligence for any public quoted company.

Guest TPAFKATS

I wasn't saying it was you Rick, but the unionist troll insists that rbs was all Alicsammin's fault. While I agree that it was the company that messed up, the UK gov were responsible for policing uk financial sector. This fell under the Treasury of which darling was heid banana.

I wasn't saying it was you Rick, but the unionist troll insists that rbs was all Alicsammin's fault. While I agree that it was the company that messed up, the UK gov were responsible for policing uk financial sector. This fell under the Treasury of which darling was heid banana.

I agree the buck ultimately stopped with Darling but it was the FSA that made the bollocks by proving to be the waste of time that we had always suspected it was. Fred Goodwin almost single handedly buggered up RBS. McKillop is culpable big style too as he was chairman and could have tried to control Goodwin. If the shareholders action reaches court, it will make good theatre.

No you didn't, you made it up, below is the high, low and closing prices for this year.

http://www.livecharts.co.uk/futures_commodities/brent_oil_prices_historical.php

The important point that everybody can see is you lied again. 1eye.gif

I didn't but as I say regardless the SNP figure of $113 per barrel is unrealistic . Even your charts show that. As a result it makes all of the SNP pledges for independence unrealistic too. Their credibility is shot to pieces when it comes to the economy. Anyone voting Yrs in September really is a turkey voting for Christmas

Alicsammin (copyright scottish labour) wasn't in a position of any great influence with regards rbs takeovers. Darling was - and was also in a position to ensure due diligence. He also had Goodwin as an advisor ( not sure if this was paid or not).

My point to dicko, once again, was that he is being disingenuous by placing the blame at Alicsammin's door.

But Alex Salmond wrote fawning love letters to Goodwin that proves Salmond not only would have sanctioned the deal, he would also have offered financial support.

We're only f**ked if we rely purely on oil and gas for the economy. You appear to think this is what we should do.

You also seem to ignore all longterm forecasts which have oil prices rising.

You also don't seem to realise that the UK government hasn't been reducing the deficit. They have been growingit along with public borrowing.

Ah, f**k it, you know all this, you're just a trolling liar

Nope it's the reality of what the SNP based their figures on. Alex Salmond admitted as much. The unrealistic forecast of the SNP government led to this year's massive Scottish Government budget deficit.

Guest TPAFKATS

But Alex Salmond wrote fawning love letters to Goodwin that proves Salmond not only would have sanctioned the deal, he would also have offered financial support.

Proves your a lying troll...and maybe a mentalist!

Alex Salmond enthusiastically backed the Royal Bank of Scotland’s disastrous takeover of Dutch bank ABN-Amro. In May 2007 Salmond wrote to RBS boss Sir Fred Goodwin, the ‘brain’ behind this deal, which broke the bank (for which Salmond used to work):

“Dear Fred, It is in Scottish interests for RBS to be successful, and I would like to offer any assistance my office can provide. Good luck with the bid. Yours for Scotland, Alex.”

Scotland’s secretary for finance, John Swinney, also backed the takeover, writing that the deal was ‘an enormous achievement for RBS’.

As late as March 2008, Salmond was still selling Edinburgh’s bankers as proof that Scotland could stand on its own as part of an ‘arc of prosperity’ with Ireland and Iceland. He told an audience at Harvard, “With RBS and HBOS – two of the world’s largest banks – Scotland has global leaders today, tomorrow and for the long-term.”

Alex Salmond icon12.gif Fred Goodwin.

It couldve been worse Stu - we couldve had a British Chancellor doing the predictions!

Oops!!! - http://www.newstatesman.com/politics/2012/12/queen-takes-swipe-gordon-brown-over-gold-sale

Scottish Politicians are pretty shite all round - you won't get any argument from me there. That's why we are better together. Clearly we need Eton Toffs running the country. Salmond, Swinney, Darling, Brown - would you let them run your family finances with their woeful record?

THE Treasury case against a post-independence currency union between Scotland and the rest of the UK has been dismantled as "misleading", "unsubstantiated" and "the reverse of the truth" by one of the world's leading economists.

The emboldened text sums up project fear's overall tactics.

Good article.

http://www.heraldscotland.com/politics/referendum-news/osbornes-case-against-currency-union-ripped-apart-by-top-economist.23757346

Hold on five minutes and another 'Top' economist will come along with the opposite view.

This economists opinion was just that there is nothing in the Treasury letter that suggests a currency union shouldn't happen. He even says in his report that there may be other reasons why it shouldn't happen but his remit was only to look at the letter. Sadly this is the Natsi tactic, they don't want to prove anything they only want to try to discredit using smears, lies or finding little errors in the minutiae that gives them something to cling onto.

Look at what Cockles is trying to do here as another example. the SNP based their whole white paper on an oil price that has seldom been achieved ever in history. I've directly quoted a newspaper article and shown the raw data from the Nasdaq that proves the $113 figure wasn't hit through all of last year. The SNP ignored their own advisors advice that said the figure was far to over optimistic and as a result of their own bluster John Swinney over spent his pocket money by billions . It's all fact, he doesn't contest that. Instead Cockles wants to challenge the rather irrelevant low point figure quoted in the newspaper article.

It's sad really and it does the yes campaign no credit at all. Indeed watch what will happen over this post. I know that rather than deal directly with the facts in my post they'll be back moaning about the natsi reference again

If you didn't lie you would be able to provide proof. You can't because no paper wrote it, you made it up and lied again.

Now lets show you Gideons credibility regarding forecasts.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/budget/7847880/Budget-2010-George-Osborne-delivers-medicine-for-the-deficit.html

The government are willing to cut anything , even our armed forces as long as it doesn't include the WMD section of our armed forces. .

If you didn't lie you would be able to provide proof. You can't because no paper wrote it, you made it up and lied again.

Now lets show you Gideons credibility regarding forecasts.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/budget/7847880/Budget-2010-George-Osborne-delivers-medicine-for-the-deficit.html

Aye right enough. That'll be why his credibility ratings rose to a percentage level this week that the Yes Campaign can only have wet dreams about.

Osbourne has taken a f**ked economy and rebuilt it to the extent that we now have a historic record number of people in employment whilst also cutting income tax. There's strong performances in manufacturing - something the UK hasn't seen since Thatcher and our exports are booming. We've even got a burgeoning car industry now due to the popularity of the Mini worldwide and the extraordinary sales figures achieved by the Nissan Qashqai. And he's done all of this whilst maintaining services and whilst cutting the deficit. He's due a bit of slack on his initial predictions especially as the coalition didn't know the full extent of the disaster Labour had left them in 2010

Indeed.

Their consistent portrayal of poor and backward Scotland being swamped by the tides of economic uncertainty first merely attracted ridicule before beginning to become irritating. Now it appears to have alienated many of the previously uncommitted

If you add in "lying" to this phrase, it sums up fatboy's every post, since this thread started, with the same end result.

At least he's consistent with his endless drivel.

What, your hurting cause your getting found out for the idiot you are. lol.gif

Nope - it's painful cause you still refuse to deal with the most relevant point. That the SNP have woefully over estimated the price of Brent Crude Oil and ran up a huge deficit this year that needed the parent Westminster Government to bail it out.

The Yes Campaign is a busted flush. They have no economic credibility. No evidence that Scotland will be able to use Sterling, no evidence that confirms continued EU Membership and a laughable set of claims that they will retain NATO Membership while telling NATO to stick Trident up it's arse.

I was listening to yet another 'analyst' and a sprinkling of private copmpanies weighing in to the debate with doom and gloom forecasts of what an independent Scotland would be up against, and it put me very much in mind of the Rangers/Sevco Armageddon debacle.

I wonder if Better Together have Neil Doncaster and Stewart Regan on their books....