So Farewell Then Ciba

HSS

The old Ciba,now known as BASF, in Hawkhead Rd is to close in 2015 with all the work force being made redundant.:(

Funny enough, I passed the place last week for the first time in ages. I noticed that a lot of the land outside was cleared and thought they might be going to expand the operation. Never thought it would be the opposite. Yet another long standing company gone from Paisley.

Funny enough, I passed the place last week for the first time in ages. I noticed that a lot of the land outside was cleared and thought they might be going to expand the operation. Never thought it would be the opposite. Yet another long standing company gone from Paisley.

I wonder if you've been looking at the,now unused,car park.The Council told them if they wanted to keep using it then a roundabout would have to be built on Hawkhead Rd...at BASF' exspense.BASF told them where to go.

Why after all those years is a roundabout suddenly needed?

I wonder if you've been looking at the,now unused,car park.The Council told them if they wanted to keep using it then a roundabout would have to be built on Hawkhead Rd...at BASF' exspense.BASF told them where to go.

Why after all those years is a roundabout

suddenly needed?

fuk me ..my heads burning hot ...why why why...after all these years...why do i still love blondie..1980ish..roundabouts are magic..

Guest TPAFKATS

Its been running down for years, since around the turn of the millennium.

Like billyg, I still know a few guys from ciba. Shite for them but not unexpected.

ETA - should hopefully still provide some employment for a few years while its decontaminated.

Edited by TPAFKATS

Why after all those years is a roundabout suddenly needed?

No doubt to satisfy the council's policy of putting in unnecessary roundabouts and pedestrian crossings everywhere just in case Tesco want to build a new store nearby..whistling.gif .

Paisley is but an industrial graveyard.sad.png

It doesn't need to be like that.

It's a very bad idea to have to rely on just one huge employer for an entire area's workforce.

What we need is to move to a format of almost exclusively small and medium sized businesses.

Strategically we need to see government re-direct money at these smaller firms to encourage them to employ more people to spread the risk around.

A vast expansion of the SME sector is the only sustainable way to avoid this sort of disaster in the future.

Council leaders and MP Douglas Alexander were at BASF (Ciba) today to see if there was any way of rescuing the situation or finding a buyer rather than having to close. Don't know if it'll come to anything, but at least they're trying to do something.

I'm afraid I have little faith in these type of "rescue" attempts, more likely a PR campaign as the chances of success in these cases, I'm my opinion, is very poor.