Free Entry At Firhill For Serving Armed Forces

partickman

Sigh....

If Drew can cringe on someone's behalf due the lack of quality in the writing it demonstrates the beginnings of an empathy that might well lead to a laying down of his life to help another.

It was a perceptively witty leap of imagination... which (as it was from someone that I have on IGNORE) was exceptionally worthy of a "like" from me.

I hope this helps? smile.png

I think you've made this post suit your vivid imagination, therefore not funny. bye1.gif

Or even witty.

Edited by faraway saint

Sigh....

If Drew can cringe on someone's behalf due the lack of quality in the writing it demonstrates the beginnings of an empathy that might well lead to a laying down of his life to help another.

It was a perceptively witty leap of imagination... which (as it was from someone that I have on IGNORE) was exceptionally worthy of a "like" from me.

I hope this helps? :)

You're giving him too much credit, bluto. In my opinion.

Guest somner9

I couldn't agree more, but I'm not sure if the events and symbolism surrounding the annual marking of Armistice Day would bear this position out.

Of course they would, if a public call to stop Xmas TV ads before remembrance Sunday gathered support I think most except retailers and multi nationals would embrace it!

Of course they would, if a public call to stop Xmas TV ads before remembrance Sunday gathered support I think most except retailers and multi nationals would embrace it!

I fear we may be at cross purposes here.

I suppose all I was seeking to highlight was that I'm not convinced that Armistice Day commemorations are entirely based on the premise of the futility of war as I understood you to have alluded to.

Perhaps I have missed the point somewhere.

Edited by Drew

Just like I don't need people like yourself and Oaksoft to tell me how to acknowledge those who made sacrifices for us all.

I'm assuming you missed this part of one of my earlier posts?

All that said, I respect the rights of others to choose to remember what they will, in a manner that seems fitting to them, and appreciate that my position on this one will likely place me in a very, very small minority.

You're trying to stir up a stooshie where one doesn't exist.

People are entitled to their opinions, sunshine, and you Daily Mail-esque ramblings won't change that.

Perhaps you should take up shadow boxing?

What does this contribute to the discussion:-

Just like I don't need people like yourself and Oaksoft to tell me how to acknowledge those who made sacrifices for us all.  All I've read in this thread and another thread started a wee while ago about a concert being held with the proceeds going to the "Help For Heroes" Charity is ill feeling towards members of the Armed Forces.

My family lost someone in WWI.  Then they lost someone in WWII.  Does this apply to your family?  I was able to live in a country with a certain amount of freedom because of these people.  Would I have done so if the War had gone the other way?  Would I and you have been born at all?

Also, people like Oaksoft keep peddling this idea suggesting Afghanistan was this quiet little haven where nothing bad ever happened until "our boys" went in.  Maybe it's time some folk on here started reading up on the subject instead of just peddling out whatever suits their agenda.  The soldiers themselves didn't decide to go to places like Iraq and Afghanistan for a wee jolly with the intention of blowing up buildings and causing death to people.  The soldiers are not murderers as has also been suggested by some people on here.  Why people do not know the difference between murder and what happens in conflict I do not know.  Yes, people died in conflict and had they not been involved with that conflict they probably wouldn't have died but these countries current affairs aren't down to British Soldiers who are doing what a soldier is expected to do.

If anyone on here has daughters then I would like to know how they would feel living in a country where females are not allowed an education.  Would that be acceptable to them?  I'm pretty sure, and hope, all of you would say that wasn't on.  Well the future female population of Afghanistan have a chance of getting one now whereas before they'd have had zero chance unless they managed to flee their country and go elsewhere.

Innocent people will always lose their life in war which doesn't sit well with me at all.  I wish every year that the World would learn the lessons of Remembrance Day but life isn't like that.  Blame the people at the top for that (listen to "When Princes Meet" by Tom Paxton) but for people to come on and have a go at soldiers is not clever and people suggesting that a minutes silence or whatever shouldn't take place in public doesn't help matters either.  All it does as this thread has shown is stir up bad feeling amongst people.

I did suggest at the start of this thread that I hoped lessons had been learned from the aforementioned charity concert thread and that this thread, which was kindly started by, I presume, a Partick Thistle supporter informing us all that if any of us were in the Armed Forces we could get into the match for free.  It was such a nice gesture by a community football club and as usual it was hijacked to make cheap shops at brave men and women and brave people from the past which is rather sad.

Spot on with everything thats been said here.

I don't know what you mean here oaksoft. Do you mean the country is an embarassment because off the army ?.

Not just the army. Our nation has had a seriously bad reputation for appalling behaviour for many years.

Illegal wars and interfering in other countries is just the start of it.

We are wandering around like arrogant Billy Big Bollox since we helped to win both world wars, f**king up countless other countries as we go.

Virtually every problem spot in the world today has our fingerprints all over it.

All of that, aided and abetted by our admittedly highly skilled armed forces.

I want to see our country stop this dreadful behaviour and start working positively and constructively when we are asked to do so by the affected countries to resolve problems in the world.

What would make me very proud would be if our armed forces were out in the Phillippines right now helping the victims out there. That would be a more honourable thing for our soldiers to be doing rather than illegally invading other countries and killing countless innocent civilians.

This old chestnut betrays total ignorance of the causes of world war two and why an extremist like Hitler was able to gain power in the first place. If you know history you'll appreciate how much of a hand Britain had in creating the circumstances which allowed him to gain power.

In other words, if we hadn't f**ked up we wouldn't have needed to fight the Germans a second time.

I know my history very well & am well aware of the carve up after WW1 . It was a total f**k up which led to resentment among the German people & provided a fertile breeding ground for Hitler & his henchmen to recruit.

Does this mean we should have stood by while the Nazis slaughtered millions ??

I seriously cannot believe that you believe that !! thumbdown.gif

I'm proud of our country.

Perhaps you should move to a less embarrassing country.

What is it you are proud of particularly?

Is it the illegal wars we engage in?

Perhaps the hundreds of thousands of civilian deaths our armed forces have been directly responsible for?

Maybe you swell with pride as our leaders interfere in the middle east peace process making worse a situation we partly caused.

Or is it our economy which has been crippled by the relaxing of credit controls?

Or is it our immigration policy which allows children of asylum seekers to be locked up.

Or a borders agency which has just rejected a visa for a non-EU friend of mine who needed it for the last of the 5 years of his degree, nicely f**king up his life after he's already spent the arse end of £60,000 getting this far (you can read thousands of repeat instances of this if you search the web).

I don't want to leave the country.

I want our leaders to stop acting like twats and embarassing our nation.

And MOST of all I want to use my opportunity to tell Westminster to get to f**k next year in the hope that an independent Scotland won't engage in any of the above activities.

Besides I have a nice wee house overlooking the river.

Edited by oaksoft

Quote from a certain Mr Oaksoft in a thread earlier this year about racists .

"Most sensible people know this was deliberately racist to play to a particular audience. That'll do for me. Gives me some hope that we're not about to drop back into the sewers of 1970's Britain any time soon.

Maybe if you were an African who had experienced a lifetime of racism - both subtle and direct then you'd have an inkling of how other people feel.

You really think people fought and died in the war so that in 70 years time racists could freely spout their bile without being brought to account for it lol.gif ?

I wish my old grandad was alive to hear that."

Oh the irony .

I know my history very well & am well aware of the carve up after WW1 . It was a total f**k up which led to resentment among the German people & provided a fertile breeding ground for Hitler & his henchmen to recruit.

Does this mean we should have stood by while the Nazis slaughtered millions ??

I seriously cannot believe that you believe that !! thumbdown.gif

I said it could and should have been avoided.

One man tried to do that and he was called a coward for it - his reputation in tatters - Neville Chamberlain.

There was no need to go to war with Germany and at every opportunity we f**ked it up because our Billy Big Bollox ego got in the way of a solution. Just as it continues to do so today.

We have learned absolutely nothing from these two wars bud and the evidence is everywhere you look in the world.

Quote from a certain Mr Oaksoft in a thread earlier this year about racists .

"Most sensible people know this was deliberately racist to play to a particular audience. That'll do for me. Gives me some hope that we're not about to drop back into the sewers of 1970's Britain any time soon.

Maybe if you were an African who had experienced a lifetime of racism - both subtle and direct then you'd have an inkling of how other people feel.

You really think people fought and died in the war so that in 70 years time racists could freely spout their bile without being brought to account for it lol.gif ?

I wish my old grandad was alive to hear that."

Oh the irony .

The irony being where exactly?

You've quoted a post of mine out of context so help us out here.

What exactly was I responding to when I wrote the second last sentence because that sentence of mine is dripping with sarcasm?

Sorry Oaky , i was just limbering up for a good discussion but its now clear that you are either a shit stirrer or simply very stupid.

Either way .bye1.gif Ignore list for you.

Free country dude.

I'll miss you as much as I miss maximillion.

Not sure why you need to make an attention seeking announcement about it?

Why not just ignore me and f**k off quietlyf?

Edited by oaksoft

Not just the army. Our nation has had a seriously bad reputation for appalling behaviour for many years.

Illegal wars and interfering in other countries is just the start of it.

We are wandering around like arrogant Billy Big Bollox since we helped to win both world wars, f**king up countless other countries as we go.

Virtually every problem spot in the world today has our fingerprints all over it.

All of that, aided and abetted by our admittedly highly skilled armed forces.

I want to see our country stop this dreadful behaviour and start working positively and constructively when we are asked to do so by the affected countries to resolve problems in the world.

What would make me very proud would be if our armed forces were out in the Phillippines right now helping the victims out there. That would be a more honourable thing for our soldiers to be doing rather than illegally invading other countries and killing countless innocent civilians.

As maximillion had mentioned and I know from first hand the army do what the rulers off this nation tells them too do. If there was another war in this world and we had too be drafted up then what would happen, what would people say or do?. People of this country that go on about afghan and iraq forget that soldiers are people too and they dont realise what or how it affects them. I had put up a picture of 4 friends that have died on tour. Should these 4 not be remembered for the job that they had been tasked to do by this corrupt goverment?.

As maximillion had mentioned and I know from first hand the army do what the rulers off this nation tells them too do. If there was another war in this world and we had too be drafted up then what would happen, what would people say or do?. People of this country that go on about afghan and iraq forget that soldiers are people too and they dont realise what or how it affects them. I had put up a picture of 4 friends that have died on tour. Should these 4 not be remembered for the job that they had been tasked to do by this corrupt goverment?.

Cool, spoogy... Of course, they should!

oaksoft doesn't live in the real world or know real people or have any idea what the people who are in our armed forces have to deal with in their work. He is able to read a lot, mostly written by other people in other seats of 'learning'.

I am sure he means well, has the same aspirational hopes that all middle class people have, but can't help declaring the stuff he reads as his own personal opinion.

He will mature... as long as we have people willing to do the jobs that keep the UK free from the problems that would swamp him and his ilk.

No doubt he has a snappy quip as tasteless and unfeeling as his earlier ones...

Cool.

Guest somner9

I'm beginning to think either he failed the medical for one of the Armed Forces or his missus has been known to squaddies...

Are you suggesting the packet of washing powder was in the window?

As maximillion had mentioned and I know from first hand the army do what the rulers off this nation tells them too do. If there was another war in this world and we had too be drafted up then what would happen, what would people say or do?.

Firstly, as far as your friends are concerned they simply should not have been in that country. If you are agreeing with that then that's a reasonable place to leave it.

As for another war?

We'd need to see but it's almost certain that I'd refuse to sign up.

Firstly, because I'd recognise all the tricks to get people to sign up including demonising of the enemy and secondly because I'm just not interested in killing people and there are almost no circumstances under which I'd change my mind on that. I'd personally rather give up my freedom than kill another human being. I'd go further and say I was a passionate believer in non-violence.

I suspect however that if there was a war and people were asked to sign up, we'd have queues down the street as people signed up for "glory, excitement and a bit of honour". Exactly what young people were saying when they were signing up to fight the Germans in WW1. There's almost no limit to the stupidity of human beings.

Edited by oaksoft