Things That You Find Weird, In Paisley.

dave.j

Things I find weird -

I moved to Glenburn nearly 8 years ago - its HUGE but there is no chinese takeaway???

Why are there so many hairdressers in paisley???

Always wondered that myself - I reckon it's because people tend to shop locally for this, showing the potential of the town if people supported the towncentre.

Why are the council unveiling plans for a new retail centre in the corner bit of Arnotts when the high street is SHITE!!!

Is it really a new retail centre now? I thought the first phase was flats with leisure (theatre/cinema) coming next with limited retail (probably the grond floor of whatever is built). There was talk of making a bigger units to accomodate outlet style shops after the success of M&S revamp but I thought that had died off, perhaps not and if it's the case then it may be because the town centre units (a few aside) are pretty small and old. All town scentre's are struggling for various reasons - parking / weather / shop sizes / shop rates / people going to out of town malls etc. I think the horse has bolted here and its a tough fix :-(

All I can think of for the moment.

For the record there are two post boxes near my house, and also 2 nearby my wee granny's :-)

I'll add to this list, the number of traffic lights... The corner of Caledonia Street / St James St I think You can wait for ages on nothing. The junction at the racecourse. The roundabout at Linwood near ASDA.

Is it just me, or is there a distinct lack of post boxes in paisley?

Is there any speed cameras, anywhere in paisley?

Why is the polystyrene disposal at the other end of the car pack, 40 yards from the card board disposal at the new dump?

Why do people indicate at the bend at the bottom of greenhill road?

Why do folk think its acceptable to park outside and across the road from the roll shop, at the same bend. Restricting traffic?

Why does the selfish prick who lives at the corner of cross road and Lounsdale road think its acceptable to park his grey rover up on the pavement restricting everyone's view, coming out of cross road. He has a drive way!

Why do folk think they are above queuing in traffic when heading by the buddies bar towards maxwellton cutting into the left hand lane at the last minute across from the tyre place.

At the same bit, why does the guy with the shitty old fiesta think it's ok to leave the arse of his car hanging out into the lane forcing a bottle neck.

If you come out of Gilmour street station at say half 8 on a saturday night... Where's the closest place to get a pint of milk...

The wee shop on canal street next to the piano shop, I kid you not!

Why does Sports Direct only sell 2 different types of football shorts. 70 different types of slazenger polo shirt, 83 different pairs of adidas joggies... But only two pairs of football shorts, and one of them is goalie shorts.

Just checked out the Lounsdale Road/Cross Road junction on Google streetview. The Rover is there, right on the pavement.

Weird in Paisley.............things traffic related.

Hmm, the one way system around the Back Sneddon area ...............and the feeder roads , and the amazingly crap synched traffic lights generally. These conspire to make Paisley one of the most frustrating towns to try and drive through, creates one of the worst traffic bottlenecks anywhere.

The random speed bumps, plates , ridges that appear almost on every stretch of straight road. I couldn't believe a fairly recent addition (?) the Foxbar road speed mats................wtf is that all about. Then there is the random and dangerous traffic calming speed bumps onAmochrie raod (?)

Anyway, seems to me Paisley want to ban the motorist from entering , or leaving wacko.png

I'll add to this list, the number of traffic lights... The corner of Caledonia Street / St James St I think You can wait for ages on nothing. The junction at the racecourse. The roundabout at Linwood near ASDA.

Regarding your comments on my post - someone posted on fb a link for the arnotts corner but and it was retail.

Traffic lights - try getting across the road from chivas at 5.15pm! A set of traffic lights there is well needed!

Regarding your comments on my post - someone posted on fb a link for the arnotts corner but and it was retail.

Traffic lights - try getting across the road from chivas at 5.15pm! A set of traffic lights there is well needed!

Whit , that'll be four sets of lights on this stretch of Renfrew road, howwwwwwl ??

Like I said, Paisley says, lets ban car driving

Is it just me, or is there a distinct lack of post boxes in paisley?
No, there's loads.

Is there any speed cameras, anywhere in paisley?

Yes, there's one in Glenburn, one on Canal Street and plenty of 'display your speed' signs and random police speed traps.

Why is the polystyrene disposal at the other end of the car pack, 40 yards from the card board disposal at the new dump?

To stop cross contamination of cardboard and polystyrene ?

To show their intention to turn right instead of left which is an available option, there is no option to go straight on however...

Why do folk think its acceptable to park outside and across the road from the roll shop, at the same bend. Restricting traffic?

Saves walking too far when the urge to impulse buy a roll occurs...

Why does the selfish prick who lives at the corner of cross road and Lounsdale road think its acceptable to park his grey rover up on the pavement restricting everyone's view, coming out of cross road. He has a drive way!

It's unacceptable, phone the polis, same sort of prick that parks his taxi van on Renfrew Road in the inside lane just beyond Brabloch Crescent because the council banned him from using the pavement as a car park by putting metal rails along the edge. He now happily forces all the traffic heading into town in the inside lane to take evasive action, prick !

Why do folk think they are above queuing in traffic when heading by the buddies bar towards maxwellton cutting into the left hand lane at the last minute across from the tyre place.

Confusing road layout there, they could enforce a parking ban on the inside lane during peak hours and also lose the left turn lane markings allowing traffic heading up Maxwellton to queue in two lanes instead of just one.

At the same bit, why does the guy with the shitty old fiesta think it's ok to leave the arse of his car hanging out into the lane forcing a bottle neck.

Cause he's one of those NIMBY pricks presumably ?

If you come out of Gilmour street station at say half 8 on a saturday night... Where's the closest place to get a pint of milk...
The wee shop on canal street next to the piano shop, I kid you not!

Chippy, shop on Moss Street, shop on Old Sneddon St, shop on St Mirren St...?

Why does Sports Direct only sell 2 different types of football shorts. 70 different types of slazenger polo shirt, 83 different pairs of adidas joggies... But only two pairs of football shorts, and one of them is goalie shorts.

How many types of shorts do you need ?

Why, don't you change your route back to the Mearns dear boy whistling.gif

I can help,

...buy yumyums instead

Any more and I'll turn into a yum yum... 2 every Friday after my 12in Sub lunch.

Eat fresh!

Seriously though, when me and the good lady were down in D&G for our holidays last year we had almond croissants for breakfast every morning out the campsite shop... Since then I've been hunting round paisley for them.

The big morrisons supposedly does them, but I've never seen them on the shelf.

ETA last year wasn't the first time I'd ever seen an almond croissant and still marvel at the thought of them... It's a romantic thing. ;-)

Edited by dave.j

Any more and I'll turn into a yum yum... 2 every Friday after my 12in Sub lunch.

Eat fresh!

Seriously though, when me and the good lady were down in D&G for our holidays last year we had almond croissants for breakfast every morning out the campsite shop... Since then I've been hunting round paisley for them.

ETA last year wasn't the first time I'd ever seen an almond croissant and still marvel at the thought of them... It's a romantic thing. ;-)

Nothing to do with Paisley but I don't understand the popularity of croissants. For me they are totally overrated,screwed up bits of dough usually full of emptiness. I've been in France loads of times and they're just the same there. Gie's a well fired Scottish roll any time before yon crescent shaped apology. And years ago I got scunnered with a beautiful trout stuffed with bloody almonds and it put me off them for life.

Apart from that, Dave, enjoyed your post.

Gie you a haggis, Rick? :)

Yer rant reminded me....

"Is there that owre his French ragout

Or olio that wad staw a sow,

Or fricassee wad make her spew

Wi' perfect sconner,

Looks down wi' sneering, scornfu' view

On sic a dinner? "

Gie's a bap!

Nothing to do with Paisley but I don't understand the popularity of croissants. For me they are totally overrated,screwed up bits of dough usually full of emptiness. I've been in France loads of times and they're just the same there. Gie's a well fired Scottish roll any time before yon crescent shaped apology. And years ago I got scunnered with a beautiful trout stuffed with bloody almonds and it put me off them for life.

Apart from that, Dave, enjoyed your post.

That made me chuckle.

Eat fresh!

Sorry , mate , I'm a bit of a throbber , please explain what D&G is as I thought it was just a brand. .

Gie you a haggis, Rick? smile.png

Yer rant reminded me....

"Is there that owre his French ragout

Or olio that wad staw a sow,

Or fricassee wad make her spew

Wi' perfect sconner,

Looks down wi' sneering, scornfu' view

On sic a dinner? "

Gie's a bap!

I've PM'd you my address and I look forward to my haggis arriving. Mind, I want a Scottish haggis, none of you Essex wans.

I only remember reading that verse a few years back and I was surprised that Rabbie knew what ragout,olio and fricasse were. I don't think I knew what any of them were until I was an adult. That was in the early 90's.

Haggis in a nice bap is terrific. Couldnae beat it wi' a big stick.

Eat fresh!

lol.gif A romantic thing , and you're looking on the shelf

C'mon there ol boy , if it's worth having it's fae under the counter