Saints Being Investigated By Hmrc....

Fair & Just  

68 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

National Minimum Wage rates from 1st October 2014

• £2.73 for apprentices aged under 19, or if you're 19 or over and in the first year of an apprenticeship

£3.79 for people under age of 18 who are no longer of compulsory school age

£5.13 for workers aged 18 - 20 years inclusive

£6.50 for workers aged 21 and over

I am sure the Club would be paying at least the correct rate for the player's age

I was sure there was a report out a month or two ago about what SPFL clubs paid the living wage - and Saints were one of only 6-7 that did.

Celtic and Aberdeen I seem to remember were not.

Did I dream this?!?!

The bit about Saints paying it... Yes.

Anyone over 16 working as an apprentice should get the MINIMUM wage of £2.73 and hour. Which is crap, but Doran alleges he didn't even get a £1 a week!

There seem to be a fair few clubs 'implicated' in the article. If true (and it is still to be substantiated), it's an issue for Scottish football as a whole, and one that the SFA, SPFL & SPFA should be working on to eradicate. I'm not sure how the SFA could allow player contracts/registrations with payment terms that would clearly be viewed as illegal?

IMO, these guys aren't working.

We are in effect providing them an education. A bit like a college course.

The kids should be paying St. Mirren!

Totally agree.

I pay a fair whack for the wee yins Football Camps at the Dome.

Worth every penny.

IMO, these guys aren't working.

We are in effect providing them an education. A bit like a college course.

The kids should be paying St. Mirren!

So how do you propose we maintain a healthy Pro-Youth set up, just hoping someone comes in and plays?

The contracts these youngers sign are there to make sure the club gets first dibs on making a few bob out of them should they move clubs, or signing them up professionally to play for the saints. Isn't it fair and just that they get a living wage for whatever hours (could be 16 a week) they are at the club, and don't have their lives controlled for up to 10 years if they decide paid football isn't for them?

Our club needs to treat people like humans and be a responsible employer, not some dodgy Zero Hour/illegal exploiter of the young and vulnerable. How many on here would be happy with their 17, 18 year old coming home with a £1 a week for the privilege of cleaning Gow's boots?

Guest TPAFKATS

If we payed minimum wage every time a player put in a shift then Callum Ball owes the club nearly 20 grand.

More seriously youth contracts have needed reviewing for a long time now and not just at SMFC.

Another example of football operating to a different set of standards with regards employment law?

So how do you propose we maintain a healthy Pro-Youth set up, just hoping someone comes in and plays?

The contracts these youngers sign are there to make sure the club gets first dibs on making a few bob out of them should they move clubs, or signing them up professionally to play for the saints. Isn't it fair and just that they get a living wage for whatever hours (could be 16 a week) they are at the club, and don't have their lives controlled for up to 10 years if they decide paid football isn't for them?

Our club needs to treat people like humans and be a responsible employer, not some dodgy Zero Hour/illegal exploiter of the young and vulnerable. How many on here would be happy with their 17, 18 year old coming home with a £1 a week for the privilege of cleaning Gow's boots?

What, like McGinn.

An old story that contains certain inaccuracies and a matter already brought up in Hollyrood by SNP MSP Chic Brodie. The issue was first raised by Kieran Dorans solicitors and a probe is underway by HMRC, it involves all Scottish Clubs. St.Mirren being one of the clubs because of its previous link with the above stated St.Mirren player, the headline by the Daily Record implies it is only St.Mirren, when this is not the case.

Although I do not agree with any club not paying the National Minimum wage and I am glad a probe is underway, however as stated before St.Mirren are not the only club.

Full story contained in the Sunday Post on May 31st 2015

Guest TPAFKATS

Indeed stripey. We could really just have stopped at 'Daily Record says' and it would've needed no further explanation.

A rag sheet that I'd think twice about wiping my erse with

I can't agree that we should be paying 16 year old apprentices almost £8.00 an hour.

Indeed, I would be surprised if ANY apprentice was getting £8 in his "first year"........................

Our 1st year apprentices are on £4.89, 2nd year goes up to £8.15, well above the suggested rates for apprentices.

Apprentices are not in the same "boat" as young workers as they are training.

The obvious question being how do these contracts get registered if they're wrong.

the boy and his family were quite happy getting all the other perks he was getting from the club at the time of signing,,only when he wanted to renege on his contract to go to college,did he complain.COYS