Useless Bbc

My only criticism of the BBC is that it's too big these days to be efficient and money is leaking out of every orifice. However as a media network the content is second to none. Many of the best TV programmes are on the BBC and many of those programmes are massive worldwide exports - like Top Gear. Their coverage of major sporting events like Wimbledon, Formula One, the Olympics and even the Commonwealth Games was second to none and there web content is amongst some of the best free content on the web across a massive range of subjects - but particularly in terms of news, sport and cooking.

As for Sonny, I believe he is breaking the law. If he is watching live football matches on his BT Sport subscription over the internet then he MUST have a TV Licence.

http://www.tvlicensing.co.uk/check-if-you-need-one/topics/technology--devices-and-online-top8

Thanks for pointing that out. The only sport I watch on BT Sport involve St Mirren and if I am breaking the law then I will happily not watch as I can go to the pub or visit a friend as I will not pay for a TV license for 2 or 3 games a season.

I can easily go without the BBC. As I said I do not watch Top Gear nor Wimbleton etc. etc. I watch mostly movies or 'box set' dramas (Wire, Sopranos, Spartacus etc). For 12 years or more I did not even own a telly so TV is not a priority for me.

I do find it odd that recently I watched the BBC drama series Peaky Blinders on Netflix. A drama paid for by BBC license holders. However after paying for the drama BBC viewers cannot watch it on the BBC! The BBC iPlayer site recommends that you purchase the program on DVD that you have already paid to have made! But take out a cheap Netflix subscription and you can watch it! Cake and eat it by the BBC?

I also noticed a while back that the BBC were showing a lot of Nordic Noir - excellent dark thrillers made in Scandinavia (eg Wallander, Bridge, Borgen etc). ie The license holder is paying to watch programs on the BBC that are not produced by the BBC but the same programs are available on Netfix at 1/10th of the cost (for me)! Not value for money either.

And as I said I do not believe that the BBC are making the best dramas around. HBO produce fantastic stuff (Game of Thrones) as does Netflix (House of Cards for example) and Scandanavian and French TV (Braquo, The Returned, Spiral etc) are all excellent TV and without adverts :)

My only criticism of the BBC is that it's too big these days to be efficient and money is leaking out of every orifice. However as a media network the content is second to none. Many of the best TV programmes are on the BBC and many of those programmes are massive worldwide exports - like Top Gear. Their coverage of major sporting events like Wimbledon, Formula One, the Olympics and even the Commonwealth Games was second to none and there web content is amongst some of the best free content on the web across a massive range of subjects - but particularly in terms of news, sport and cooking.

As for Sonny, I believe he is breaking the law. If he is watching live football matches on his BT Sport subscription over the internet then he MUST have a TV Licence.

http://www.tvlicensing.co.uk/check-if-you-need-one/topics/technology--devices-and-online-top8

Yep, the Beeb is wonderful. 10m views, seemingly, not all on YouTube admittedly, but still 10m.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scotland-politics-33585087

Guest TPAFKATS

And yet they won't report that a senior labour MP was reported to police at the weekend for abusing young boys?

Have they reported yet that Lord mountbatten was finally named by a witness as being a regular visitor to the kincora boys home in Ireland?

As witnessed by the non coverage of Marc Warren and Paul Lawrie on the first day of the open despite being at the top of the leaderboard.

FS is probably best qualified to comment on this, but, I believe (like the Grand Prix / World Cup / Olympics etc) that, it is NOT actually the BBC that do the coverage, but, OpenTv, & the BBC take the pictures to show the British audience. The USa / Aussies / French etc get mainly the same pictures just with different interviews / commentaries etc.

And yet they won't report that a senior labour MP was reported to police at the weekend for abusing young boys?

Have they reported yet that Lord mountbatten was finally named by a witness as being a regular visitor to the kincora boys home in Ireland?

Also , Ted Heath. .who always had rumours surrounding him. .

FS is probably best qualified to comment on this, but, I believe (like the Grand Prix / World Cup / Olympics etc) that, it is NOT actually the BBC that do the coverage, but, OpenTv, & the BBC take the pictures to show the British audience. The USa / Aussies / French etc get mainly the same pictures just with different interviews / commentaries etc.

Thanks for the Info.

Hoewever, on the last (Extra) day the coverage did not start until 13.45.....very poor. The big screens on course had to take the ESPN (not sure if correct) feed from US

TV .....embarassing for one of the Premier Sports Events in the UK calender. Us viewers at home got Bargain Hunt and Homes under the Hammer. Woo hoo......

Thanks for the Info.

Hoewever, on the last (Extra) day the coverage did not start until 13.45.....very poor. The big screens on course had to take the ESPN (not sure if correct) feed from US

TV .....embarassing for one of the Premier Sports Events in the UK calender. Us viewers at home got Bargain Hunt and Homes under the Hammer. Woo hoo......

TBH the start time on the final day was sufficient as the top groups hadn't started and there was sufficient time to show any players who had threatened the leaderboard.

The vast majority of viewers would only want to see the contenders for the championship.

By the way, that days Bargain Hunt was a stormer. ????

Maybe I am too used to Sky Sports Golf coverage....It is good but I still do not think the BBC should lose it. Two things ...Sky will have paid m

more,that's probably a , and poor coverage like on Monday I still think does them no favours. I like my sports and the Golf this week and what

they give us for footie up here in Scotland is part of the problem as I see it. Half arsed. Just my opinion Robert....whistling.gif

I will happily pay for Sky just now for better coverage although I will not be so sure when I retire in 20 years........

Edited by thomsons dropped it

Maybe I am too used to Sky Sports Golf coverage....It is good but I still do not think the BBC should lose it. Two things ...Sky will have paid m

more,that's probably a , and poor coverage like on Monday I still think does them no favours. I like my sports and the Golf this week and what

they give us for footie up here in Scotland is part of the problem as I see it. Half arsed. Just my opinion Robert....whistling.gif

I will happily pay for Sky just now for better coverage although I will not be so sure when I retire in 20 years........

There are plusses for both Sky and the BBC.

Sky's coverage is very slick but adverts every 10 minutes are a real pain.

Sky, as I recall, paid £10 against BBC's offer of £7 so you can't blame the R&A for accepting.

I've just cancelled my Sky sports as they've lost the Champions League and the overall cost is considerable. I'm considering getting rid of Sky all together.

I'd rather poke my eyes out with a sharp stick than go to BT for my broadband as they are cnuts but the lure of the Champions League could sway me to get the sports package.

Still weighing up my options.

Correct, the BBC does not actually facilitate the coverage of the major sporting events in the UK or anywhere else anymore. They are generally speaking 'pooled' pictures via a 'host broadcaster' concept, which in itself is normally a put together quango like OpenTV, Olympic Broadcasting Services, Formula 1 or in Glasgow last summer 'Sunset & Vine' who also have a hand in BBC Scotland's Scottish Cup and Shinty coverage, to meet the BBC's indie produced quotas, as required by the BBC Charter, aka 'the puppet masters'... Edited by FS

Sky, as I recall, paid £10 against BBC's offer of £7 so you can't blame the R&A for accepting.

I've just cancelled my Sky sports as they've lost the Champions League and the overall cost is considerable. I'm considering getting rid of Sky all together.

I'd rather poke my eyes out with a sharp stick than go to BT for my broadband as they are cnuts but the lure of the Champions League could sway me to get the sports package.

Not picking on you, but I hear this kind of thing all the time. If you're willing to demand value for money from the BBC but are prepared to pay Rupert Murdoch so that he can outbid the BBC on major sporting contracts, then complain the BBC aren't giving you the sports coverage you require, then you really are part of the problem.

At the end of the day, the BBC belongs to the people who fund it. yes there are some issues at he moment, but they will all be resolved sooner than you think. There's an ugly mob out there just now, absolutely motivated by the chance of personal and financial gains, desperate to see the BBC fail and desperate to tar it with controversy as much as they can. I'd be wary of believing every single criticism, I really would !

Edited by FS

Not picking on you, but I hear this kind of thing all the time. If you're willing to demand value for money from the BBC but are prepared to pay Rupert Murdoch so that he can outbid the BBC on major sporting contracts, then complain the BBC aren't giving you the sports coverage you require, then you really are part of the problem.

At the end of the day, the BBC belongs to the people who fund it. yes there are some issues at he moment, but they will all be resolved sooner than you think. There's an ugly mob out there just now, absolutely motivated by the chance of personal and financial gains, desperate to see the BBC fail and desperate to tar it with controversy as much as they can. I'd be wary of believing every single criticism, I really would !

You've completely misunderstood my post and if you read back I've been defending the BBC. blink.png

It's not perfect but it's certainly not as bad as some people make out.

Go away and pick on someone else. tongue.png

I'll tape them for you. lol.gif

If you haven't already sign up to complete the BBC Tomorrow survey. And tell them how sick you are of Scottish football not being paid a proportinste rate for coverage as the english premiership. We pay the same feckin licence fee,why don't we have a fair distribution of that?

Because Scottish football is shit.

That's about the only response you're stupid question deserves. 1eye.gif

Edited by faraway saint

If you haven't already sign up to complete the BBC Tomorrow survey. And tell them how sick you are of Scottish football not being paid a proportinste rate for coverage as the english premiership. We pay the same feckin licence fee,why don't we have a fair distribution of that?

BBC Scotland using pan BBC sports commissioning funding tabled a competitive bid for continued live SPL coverage several years ago, it was actually a better offer than the one tabled by Setanta (at the time) including full up front payment as opposed to Setanta's payment by instalment deal. Various SPL chairmen lead by Dunfermline's John Yorkston voted against BBC Scotland getting the contract in fear that putting the game on 'cooncil telly' would both cheapen the brand as well as affect attendances.

BBC Scotland using pan BBC sports commissioning funding tabled a competitive bid for continued live SPL coverage several years ago, it was actually a better offer than the one tabled by Setanta (at the time) including full up front payment as opposed to Setanta's payment by instalment deal. Various SPL chairmen lead by Dunfermline's John Yorkston voted against BBC Scotland getting the contract in fear that putting the game on 'cooncil telly' would both cheapen the brand as well as affect attendances.

Which I'd say would be far from the truth as English attendances continue to grow, even with the current saturation from Sky & BT.

You've completely misunderstood my post and if you read back I've been defending the BBC. blink.png

It's not perfect but it's certainly not as bad as some people make out.

Go away and pick on someone else. tongue.png

The first 'you' was you. Any other references to 'you' are the proverbial you. i.e not you but them, the royal we, etc etc... kapiche ? ;-)