Useless Bbc

Which I'd say would be far from the truth as English attendances continue to grow, even with the current saturation from Sky & BT.

Indeed so, worth also noting that the SPL in all it's glory also encouraged the member clubs to 'vote Setanta' as their own half arsed attempt at creating an SPL TV product was closely linked to the subscription TV model on offer by them and other sports broadcasters at the time and it was decided that if you get the punter used to paying for the product now, you could continue to fleece them...err... charge them... later on.

Indeed so, worth also noting that the SPL in all it's glory also encouraged the member clubs to 'vote Setanta' as their own half arsed attempt at creating an SPL TV product was closely linked to the subscription TV model on offer by them and other sports broadcasters at the time and it was decided that if you get the punter used to paying for the product now, you could continue to fleece them...err... charge them... later on.

If the BBC wont pay a fair price to cover our game, given we all pay the same licence fee (so the peeps in Englandshire can have multiple live events) then i think the SPFL should set up its own TV coverage. If say they partnered with Amazon, Google, Netflix then i know for sure Sky and Bt would up what they pay to persuade them not to, the beeb however would happily drop Scottish football if it meant getting EPL on MOTD every saturday night.

Its meant to be the British Broadcasting Corporation... And does its charter not state it is compelled to deliver equality over service across Britain?

If the BBC wont pay a fair price to cover our game, given we all pay the same licence fee (so the peeps in Englandshire can have multiple live events) then i think the SPFL should set up its own TV coverage. If say they partnered with Amazon, Google, Netflix then i know for sure Sky and Bt would up what they pay to persuade them not to, the beeb however would happily drop Scottish football if it meant getting EPL on MOTD every saturday night.

Its meant to be the British Broadcasting Corporation... And does its charter not state it is compelled to deliver equality over service across Britain?

The BBC did offer a fair price, the SPL conspired to reject it. Did you read my posts ? The SPL tried to set up it's own coverage but they quite royally fecked it up by going at it from a UEFA style 'get rich quick' approach instead of handling it sensibly and 'fairly'.

The BBC did offer a fair price, the SPL conspired to reject it. Did you read my posts ? The SPL tried to set up it's own coverage but they quite royally fecked it up by going at it from a UEFA style 'get rich quick' approach instead of handling it sensibly and 'fairly'.

Yes but that was years ago, they are currently in negotiations for the next contract. I think the SPFL should go their own way if the Beeb don't pay a fair and equitable amount in proportion to what they pay the EPL. If the SPFL had its own channel BT, Sky, Channel Five and the OTT providers would pay to transmit it. And if they get an OTT partner worldwide deals to stream coverage become so much easier. In fact you can get sky to stream it for you as they do stuff for everyone including the Beeb.

Yes but that was years ago, they are currently in negotiations for the next contract. I think the SPFL should go their own way if the Beeb don't pay a fair and equitable amount in proportion to what they pay the EPL. If the SPFL had its own channel BT, Sky, Channel Five and the OTT providers would pay to transmit it. And if they get an OTT partner worldwide deals to stream coverage become so much easier. In fact you can get sky to stream it for you as they do stuff for everyone including the Beeb.

The BBC paid the SPFL what they accepted for current coverage. What can be more fair than that? Asking to pay more than what the SPFL agreed to would be a waste of licence fee money. The BBC don't have an obligation to finance Scottish football, nor English. They pay what they need to.

The BBC paid the SPFL what they accepted for current coverage. What can be more fair than that? Asking to pay more than what the SPFL agreed to would be a waste of licence fee money. The BBC don't have an obligation to finance Scottish football, nor English. They pay what they need to.

Exactly. The whole argument about the BBC paying more just because they pay more to English football is nonsense. They made an offer, the SPFL accepted it - that's not their problem. Imagine the outrage if they paid over the odds and it emerged they could have bought the rights for a fraction of the sum.

And the sort of people who moan about BBC bias are the same folk who think The National offers proper, impartial journalism and is the only place "the truth" can be read.

Edited by Stu

There are plusses for both Sky and the BBC.

Sky's coverage is very slick but adverts every 10 minutes are a real pain.

Sky, as I recall, paid £10 against BBC's offer of £7 so you can't blame the R&A for accepting.

I've just cancelled my Sky sports as they've lost the Champions League and the overall cost is considerable. I'm considering getting rid of Sky all together.

I'd rather poke my eyes out with a sharp stick than go to BT for my broadband as they are cnuts but the lure of the Champions League could sway me to get the sports package.

Still weighing up my options.

You forgot too mention that BT also charge you for leaving. £30 is the standard fee

The BBC is not wanted as main live contractor by the SPFL. They are too much in bed with BT and Sky and won't entertain any BBC offer until either or both of the others withdraw from Scottish football. You can blame that on greed and an over reliance on tv money mainly.

And furthermore, the SPFL already goes it's own way, aa you put it. They have all the broadcasters dancing to their tune as it is. If they wanted to start their own channel they'd still need to lean heavily on the broadcasters in terms of infrastructure, talent and expertise. I can assure you that with 21 years of sports broadcasting under my belt, I've yet to come across anyone within our football governing bodies with anything like even 10% of the required talent/ability to do someone like that. Roger Mitchell ring a bell anyone ?

There wasn't a negotiation, the Beeb said there it is take it or leave it.... At the same time the woman in charge of BBC sport said in a public meeting she would happily pay nothing for sottish football as long so she could direct all the licence fee payers funds to buying the EPL highlights package!

The sooner we can opt out of having the BBC TV tax, and can choose what we watch/listen to, when we want it the better. How many other countries are you taxed and imprisoned for non payment of a TV licence..? Think about it in the UK you need a licence to watch TV FFS....

The first paragraph of the above is utter bollocks, the 2nd tells me you just want the licence fee abolished. Fair enough, so do I. The wheels are already in motion and the slow path to the deconstruction and privatising of public service broadcasting for commercial gain should be complete within ten years. After that you'll most likely be propping up yet more tory businessmen and their privately owned broadcasting foundations...

The first paragraph of the above is utter bollocks, the 2nd tells me you just want the licence fee abolished. Fair enough, so do I. The wheels are already in motion and the slow path to the deconstruction and privatising of public service broadcasting for commercial gain should be complete within ten years. After that you'll most likely be propping up yet more tory businessmen and their privately owned broadcasting foundations...

Get out of here? ohmy.png

You'll have Beyond Our Ken moaning you're being derisory to a truly great St Mirren supporter. whistling.gif

There wasn't a negotiation, the Beeb said there it is take it or leave it.... At the same time the woman in charge of BBC sport said in a public meeting she would happily pay nothing for sottish football as long so she could direct all the licence fee payers funds to buying the EPL highlights package!

The sooner we can opt out of having the BBC TV tax, and can choose what we watch/listen to, when we want it the better. How many other countries are you taxed and imprisoned for non payment of a TV licence..? Think about it in the UK you need a licence to watch TV FFS....

If you don't want to pay the license , don't watch the telly . .

The way I see it , you are paying not to have to watch non-BBC advertising. .

By and large tho' , the vast majority of tv content , nowadays , is simply pish . .

Naw... I will be able to pick and pay for what i want. Not have a bunch of old Etonians shoving their kids on the telly and calling it light entertainment.

Naw... I will be able to pick and pay for what i want. Not have a bunch of old Etonians shoving their kids on the telly and calling it light entertainment.

Aye...whatever...dude...whatever...

Exactly. The whole argument about the BBC paying more just because they pay more to English football is nonsense. They made an offer, the SPFL accepted it - that's not their problem. Imagine the outrage if they paid over the odds and it emerged they could have bought the rights for a fraction of the sum.

And the sort of people who moan about BBC bias are the same folk who think The National offers proper, impartial journalism and is the only place "the truth" can be read.

No I don't, I've never even heard of the National,

Edited by buddiecat

TBH , you could insert "The Daily Mail" in place of the named newspaper to make it a more accurate statement.

To clarify, the Daily Mail is also pish but not to the same extent as The National. If a paper wants to show political bias (regardless of which party its towards) that's fine by me, the way these two do it is beyond parody. We don't get the National at work but we do get the Mail - god knows why, maybe because it gives everyone an amusing start to the day.

Their online stuff is decent though (just incase someone is reading this).

Edited by Stu

To clarify, the Daily Mail is also pish but not to the same extent as The National. If a paper wants to show political bias (regardless of which party its towards) that's fine by me, the way these two do it is beyond parody. We don't get the National at work but we do get the Mail - god knows why, maybe because it gives everyone an amusing start to the day.

Their online stuff is decent though (just incase someone is reading this).

We are talking about the the BBC's shortcomings, and they are supposed to be impartial, and provide equality of service to all the British nations. Except when they want to use all our licence fee money to pay for Gary Lineker's tan, and to send numerous bods around the world for F1 highlights.

Isn't it the case Gary Lineker is pad more in salary than the beeb pay to cover our highlights???

We are talking about the the BBC's shortcomings, and they are supposed to be impartial, and provide equality of service to all the British nations. Except when they want to use all our licence fee money to pay for Gary Lineker's tan, and to send numerous bods around the world for F1 highlights.

Isn't it the case Gary Lineker is pad more in salary than the beeb pay to cover our highlights???

Of course that is the case, it's jobs for the boys stuff, and also the lassies, well known you have to be a teuchter to get a gig on bbc Scotland weather reports, they even have one (Kirkwood) on national weather who cant even say northern or southern properly, it always comes out as northeren or southeren , the beeb is a drain on our hard earned cash and should be made to be self financing.