shull

Thread To Discuss An Independent Scotland.

All man made borders are artificial and invented.
Very true but federal systems tend to already have recognised for want of a better word 'states', the USA being the most obvious example, the UK doesn't have that.

If the regions are created as the current countries within the union with equal weight of position and only a tiny handful of issues where we come together then that could be a good compromise to full independence for me.

Can't see England willing to have joint initiatives vetoed by a single nation though.

If the regions are created as the current countries within the union with equal weight of position and only a tiny handful of issues where we come together then that could be a good compromise to full independence for me.
Can't see England willing to have joint initiatives vetoed by a single nation though.
Nope, not likely. Especially when England desperately wanted out of a union of equal nations

1 hour ago, TPAFKATS said:
2 hours ago, oaksoft said:

Nope, not likely. Especially when England desperately wanted out of a union of equal nations

Indeed. Having "taken back control" I can't see them rushing to give it away. Look instead for short term bribery. 

2 hours ago, oaksoft said:

Exactly this. That solution would kill off the Independence movement for a long time as it would actually be an equal union, with little forced on us - much like the EU, and a key reason many Scots prefer the EU to the UK. The reason the Indy movement have a decent support is because of the current lack of equality in this “union”, and what you say above would stop it in it’s tracks.

Of course as you follow on with, England will never give that up. 533 MPs against 117 MPs, it’s a great irony that those in England who voted leave due to the “European dictatorship” live in the actual dictatorship where England continually has a predominant say in what happens in the UK.

You can guarantee if Scotland had the 533 MPs and had forced an SNP majority on the rest of the UK, the English would be planning their own Indyref.

2 hours ago, Cornwall_Saint said:

Exactly this. That solution would kill off the Independence movement for a long time as it would actually be an equal union, with little forced on us - much like the EU, and a key reason many Scots prefer the EU to the UK. The reason the Indy movement have a decent support is because of the current lack of equality in this “union”, and what you say above would stop it in it’s tracks.

Of course as you follow on with, England will never give that up. 533 MPs against 117 MPs, it’s a great irony that those in England who voted leave due to the “European dictatorship” live in the actual dictatorship where England continually has a predominant say in what happens in the UK.

You can guarantee if Scotland had the 533 MPs and had forced an SNP majority on the rest of the UK, the English would be planning their own Indyref.

You might be able to resolve the England issue by having each nation pretty much run their own affairs with only perhaps defence and currency as joint issues.

17 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

You might be able to resolve the England issue by having each nation pretty much run their own affairs with only perhaps defence and currency as joint issues.

That would be ideal. Perhaps a NATOesque “contribution” towards the defence costs so each is paying their “fair share”.

Of course it’s not going to happen as Westminster will never give that amount of power up. But it’s things like this which would preserve the long term future of the union.

29 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

Devo Max perhaps. 

Emily Thornbury hates 45% of the Scottish electorate.

Her statement came in response to a question at the conference at Nottingham Trent University campus, which asked: "Do you agree that the SNP's record in government is bad and this attitude amongst members is both wrong and damaging to Labour's chances in Scotland?"
Thornberry replied saying: "I hate the SNP. I hate the SNP. I think they're Tories wrapped up in nationalist clothing. I think they pretend to be on the left and they're not on the left."

11 minutes ago, Bud the Baker said:

Emily Thornbury hates 45% of the Scottish electorate.

It’s like Labour are trying to finish themselves off in Scotland. Murray was spouting nonsense recently and this moron is doing the same, as is Nandy. I despise the fact the Tories are in power but with many Labour MPs doing nothing to back Corbyn and openly slaying him throughout, they deserve the heavy losses they took. Corbyn was more Labour and democratic than any of these tosspots.

It’s like Labour are trying to finish themselves off in Scotland. Murray was spouting nonsense recently and this moron is doing the same, as is Nandy. I despise the fact the Tories are in power but with many Labour MPs doing nothing to back Corbyn and openly slaying him throughout, they deserve the heavy losses they took. Corbyn was more Labour and democratic than any of these tosspots.

It's an interesting strategy given that Labour are trying to win back voters who have switched to snp

1 hour ago, Bud the Baker said:

It was true back in the 70s but is the party pivoted in the late 80s early 90s - so Thornberry is about 30 years out of date.

She's an exact match with the Labour Party in Scotland, then...

7 minutes ago, shull said:

Priti Patel.

Someone who says.. My family got in. I am OK but no more please. The place is full. 

On 1/27/2020 at 11:08 AM, Bud the Baker said:

It was true back in the 70s but is the party pivoted in the late 80s early 90s - so Thornberry is about 30 years out of date.

Absolutely agree Bud. 

On 1/26/2020 at 8:09 PM, Cornwall_Saint said:
On 1/26/2020 at 5:43 PM, oaksoft said:

Aye an if ma auntie had baws