Time for all to Rally Round and make a Fresh Start

In danger of stating the obvious

This is time for all of those with an interest in Saint Mirren to rally round and pull together. A new board, fan ownership, a new management team, new facilities at St Mirren Park. 

So what can we do? 

The Board

Provide a clear 5-10 year plan with clearly set out objectives for the team, stadium and fan involvement.

Continue to improve consultation with fans but ultimately provide leadership.

The New Management Team

Be set clear objectives by the board and communicated to the team, academy and fans.

Reach the playoffs until promotion is received.

The Team

Listen to and follow the management teams instructions and give 100% in each and every game.

Add a defensive midfielder to the squad.

The Fans

Old chicken and egg question needs to be asnwered.

Turn up would be a start.

The club needs the money and we need the club to recruit the best. This takes money.

Get behind the team from the first to last minute.

Be willing to accept changes in the use of the stand, ground and facilities.

Many might want to add to this or to dissagree.

5 hours ago, shull said:

I agree with Froggie. 

Also, I cannot believe the Tannoy System is still shite. 

The old Board had years to fix it.

The new Board seem not to give a f**k about it.  

I would agree with you Shull but having sat in the Main Stand on Saturday I think it might just be better if they turned off the tannoy system to all stands. 

In danger of stating the obvious

This is time for all of those with an interest in Saint Mirren to rally round and pull together. A new board, fan ownership, a new management team, new facilities at St Mirren Park. 

So what can we do? 

The Board

Provide a clear 5-10 year plan with clearly set out objectives for the team, stadium and fan involvement.

Continue to improve consultation with fans but ultimately provide leadership.

The New Management Team

Be set clear objectives by the board and communicated to the team, academy and fans.

Reach the playoffs until promotion is received.

The Team

Listen to and follow the management teams instructions and give 100% in each and every game.

Add a defensive midfielder to the squad.

The Fans

Old chicken and egg question needs to be asnwered.

Turn up would be a start.

The club needs the money and we need the club to recruit the best. This takes money.

Get behind the team from the first to last minute.

Be willing to accept changes in the use of the stand, ground and facilities.

Many might want to add to this or to dissagree.

It's not chicken and egg though really, is it? Football has to be one of the few businesses where the people running it can get away with saying they need more customers before they'll improve the product. Or where they CEO has the bare face cheek to stand in front of customers claiming that if the customers werent so negative about the shite product they were getting perhaps players might try a bit harder.

It's not rocket science. If we get a decent manager we will start improving and winning games which will get the fans going and this will help the players confidence. The crowds would increase with improved form and everything starts to move in the right direction. Jack Ross should be the next choice IMO based on the supposed shortlist.

2 hours ago, Stuart Dickson said:

It's not chicken and egg though really, is it? Football has to be one of the few businesses where the people running it can get away with saying they need more customers before they'll improve the product. Or where they CEO has the bare face cheek to stand in front of customers claiming that if the customers werent so negative about the shite product they were getting perhaps players might try a bit harder.

I see where you are coming from Stuart but I don't see it that way. I see fans, players, management, board & owners as being in the same boat and arguing about where we have been or are may well be playing a part in us rowing with one oar and therefore going round in circles. In my working life I was called on to advise business from multi nationals to small organisations on how to break out of negative circles. First step is each party accepting that they might just be playing a part in creating the very circumstances they are railing against. It is a blame game that goes nowhere. Each of us can and perhaps should look at how we relate to "our club,our team" for that's what it is. Me included by the way!

1 hour ago, St.Ricky said:

I see where you are coming from Stuart but I don't see it that way. I see fans, players, management, board & owners as being in the same boat and arguing about where we have been or are may well be playing a part in us rowing with one oar and therefore going round in circles. In my working life I was called on to advise business from multi nationals to small organisations on how to break out of negative circles. First step is each party accepting that they might just be playing a part in creating the very circumstances they are railing against. It is a blame game that goes nowhere. Each of us can and perhaps should look at how we relate to "our club,our team" for that's what it is. Me included by the way!

Ricky, be honest now. Maybe you are telling the truth but somehow I just can't see you going into a multi national company and suggesting to a board of directors that the way to stop a negative cycle in your business is for the CEO to come out and tell customers that if they stop complaining the staff at that company might try a bit harder. And I can't see you suggesting that they approach their shareholders and to tell them that their cash isn't enough - you now want them to help out in their own free time. If you did and they had taken your advice, I'm sure I would have read about it by now. 

For what it's worth, I've sent my suggestions and comments to the guys at SMiSA. I've outlined how I see it as important that the club share knowledge, experience and facilities with juvenile football clubs in the local area. I've detailed how I see that working to mutual benefit. I've shown how it would be of mutual financial benefit too. And I've had a response back which was fair enough saying that they are busy with other things right now and that they'll look at my suggestions at a later date. Now short of continuing to e-mail them every week I don't really see what more I can do other than continue to pay my membership dues, wait on the point where working with the local community might eventually become one of the priorities, and look forward to the AGM where I might get to cast my vote for a person who may be more receptive to my ideas, either that or until I get to the point where frustration gets the better of me and I stop contributing as a member. 

Improvement has to come from the top. It's the board that will appoint the new manager, regardless of the talking shop on here. It's the board that will ultimately decide what the priorities are for the club. It's the board that will decide whether it wants to tap into the SMiSA membership for help and advice or not. And it'll be the decisions made by the board that will ultimately decide whether watching St Mirren play football becomes an enjoyable past time again, or continues to be an overpriced chore as it has been for much of the last 15 years. 

Edited by Stuart Dickson

Ricky, be honest now. Maybe you are telling the truth but somehow I just can't see you going into a multi national company and suggesting to a board of directors that the way to stop a negative cycle in your business is for the CEO to come out and tell customers that if they stop complaining the staff at that company might try a bit harder. And I can't see you suggesting that they approach their shareholders and to tell them that their cash isn't enough - you now want them to help out in their own free time. If you did and they had taken your advice, I'm sure I would have read about it by now. 

For what it's worth, I've sent my suggestions and comments to the guys at SMiSA. I've outlined how I see it as important that the club share knowledge, experience and facilities with juvenile football clubs in the local area. I've detailed how I see that working to mutual benefit. I've shown how it would be of mutual financial benefit too. And I've had a response back which was fair enough saying that they are busy with other things right now and that they'll look at my suggestions at a later date. Now short of continuing to e-mail them every week I don't really see what more I can do other than continue to pay my membership dues, wait on the point where working with the local community might eventually become one of the priorities, and look forward to the AGM where I might get to cast my vote for a person who may be more receptive to my ideas, either that or until I get to the point where frustration gets the better of me and I stop contributing as a member. 

Improvement has to come from the top. It's the board that will appoint the new manager, regardless of the talking shop on here. It's the board that will ultimately decide what the priorities are for the club. It's the board that will decide whether it wants to tap into the SMiSA membership for help and advice or not. And it'll be the decisions made by the board that will ultimately decide whether watching St Mirren play football becomes an enjoyable past time again, or continues to be an overpriced chore as it has been for much of the last 15 years. 

First off we the fans have an emotional attachment to the club it's what gets us through the hard times. So now a genuine question Stuart. You are not a fan ( your own words ) there for you are a customer ( your own words ) how can a customer keep coming back to such a poor product. That suggests to me your a fan who can't quite understand you actually are. However that should come as no surprise to the rest of us because you are a confused individual on many subjects. Or another way of saying it knows about many subjects but an expert in none.

46 minutes ago, Isle Of Bute Saint said:

First off we the fans have an emotional attachment to the club it's what gets us through the hard times. So now a genuine question Stuart. You are not a fan ( your own words ) there for you are a customer ( your own words ) how can a customer keep coming back to such a poor product. That suggests to me your a fan who can't quite understand you actually are. However that should come as no surprise to the rest of us because you are a confused individual on many subjects. Or another way of saying it knows about many subjects but an expert in none.

Are you the fans spokesman now Ian? You know what all the "fans" feel do you? :rolleyes:

I don't know why you need to define me. or anyone else for that matter. Is it too much of a problem for you to know that some times there are square pegs and round holes? My story has been well documented over the years and there's little point in going back through it again. I'm not at all confused. I am a customer of St Mirren Football Club Ltd, a former fan of St Mirren FC, a member of SMiSA and a fan of Fan Ownership. It's not difficult in the slightest. The St Mirren FC that I used to be a fan of turned out to be a mirage and the real thing hasn't proved worthy of my support. That's not to say that there is no emotional attachment. I've got the same fond memories of the Anglo Scottish Cup Final, of seeing Billy Abercrombie lift the cup in 87, and of watching the bubble not burst under the superb Tom Hendrie in 99-00 as anyone else. 

Football is one if the simplest businesses going. A winning team on the park and everything else will fall into place. People are way over analysing our current woes. All we need is to be able to put a team on the park that can compete at the level we are playing at. A run of three or four consecutive wins will see a massive upturn in mood and outlook. The difficult bit is getting the team (management and players) in place to do that. Until we do the woes will remain with us.

18 hours ago, Stuart Dickson said:

Stuart

Well done.

I think you get what I was saying.

Nobody should do a Gerald Ratner - of course not - but change comes when everybody realises that is is nescessary and how they contribute.

Different priorities do need to be reconciled.

Ricky

51 minutes ago, Slash said:

Given the appointment of JR as manager, the forum won't be as busy. Why not share your suggestions and comments on the forum as I'm interested and I sure others are too in what you proposed.

It's not rocket science Slash. Without boring everyone its simple things like working with a number of juvenile football clubs across the local region helping them put on fundraisers like Sportsmans Dinners where the club could provide the facilities and experience, and in return the club would be able to profit from the bar receipts and commissions from caterers and from the speakers themselves. Or when St Mirren's Academy releases players, being able to put that player in touch with a trusted coach from one of the clubs you are working with so that player can continue to develop within the game, and you can continue to monitor their progress, just incase you've released a future gem. 

There's all sorts of area's which could be of mutual benefit from applications for grants and funding, to kit and equipment deals, and to resourcing and manpower. And it doesn't have to be limited to just juvenile football clubs either. 

It's not even an original concept. The sharing of knowledge, experience, facilities and resources is quite common between clubs right across Europe and their local communities.