Scotland Football Club

shull

The heavy defeat didn’t seem to bother either the pundits on radio or tv. Perhaps they’re used to it after the third in a row. Definitely apologists content to indulge reverses because the team qualified for the euros. That’s fine if they are happy with that. I could hear the fans in the background singing, despite being 1-4 down as well, lol. Maybe it’s just a reality check and the team will improve before next years finals. One thing is glaring, though, the forwards are hopeless and need to be replaced. How he can keep playing guys who just can’t hit the net is baffling. Adams in particular is a fraud and should be discarded, he’s not even nuisance value. Thank goodness proper football returns this weekend. Saints need three points to get back on track as well. COYS.

2 hours ago, Saint@Johnstone said:

The heavy defeat didn’t seem to bother either the pundits on radio or tv. Perhaps they’re used to it after the third in a row. Definitely apologists content to indulge reverses because the team qualified for the euros. That’s fine if they are happy with that. I could hear the fans in the background singing, despite being 1-4 down as well, lol. Maybe it’s just a reality check and the team will improve before next years finals. One thing is glaring, though, the forwards are hopeless and need to be replaced. How he can keep playing guys who just can’t hit the net is baffling. Adams in particular is a fraud and should be discarded, he’s not even nuisance value. Thank goodness proper football returns this weekend. Saints need three points to get back on track as well. COYS.

Aye, 3 losses on the bounce, to the world number 3 (France) 5 (England) and 7 (Spain. 

We are absolutely rotten................................lol

15 minutes ago, faraway saint said:

Aye, 3 losses on the bounce, to the world number 3 (France) 5 (England) and 7 (Spain. 

We are absolutely rotten................................lol

I really should not respond. But I will. 

All these nations have significantly larger populations, significantly more finance invested within their grassroots and national squads.

We are a small nation who have just managed to secure back to back European qualification for the first time since the 90s. 

Our club are currently in third place competing against far bigger clubs.

Last season to get to 6th place was incredible given teams below us had far bigger resources. 

My guess is that the poster in question is just attention seeking. He knows nothing of the despair and desperation Saints and Scotland fans went on for a long period. 

I honestly don’t know why these people bother with football at our level as it clearly upsets them when Saints don’t win the champions league every year and Andy Robertson is not currently parading naked through the streets of Glasgow with the World Cup. 

Edited by Albanian Buddy

12 hours ago, Albanian Buddy said:

I really should not respond. But I will. 

All these nations have significantly larger populations, significantly more finance invested within their grassroots and national squads.

We are a small nation who have just managed to secure back to back European qualification for the first time since the 90s. 

Our club are currently in third place competing against far bigger clubs.

Last season to get to 6th place was incredible given teams below us had far bigger resources. 

My guess is that the poster in question is just attention seeking. He knows nothing of the despair and desperation Saints and Scotland fans went on for a long period. 

I honestly don’t know why these people bother with football at our level as it clearly upsets them when Saints don’t win the champions league every year and Andy Robertson is not currently parading naked through the streets of Glasgow with the World Cup. 

Supported Saints all my life, so know about disappointment and have never even mentioned champions league so don’t know where you got that from. Also, those three countries have always been much larger but it previously didn't stop us administering Englands biggest ever home defeat, Spain, as current European champions,a 2-6 home defeat or  thrashing France on a few occasions. I know things are different nowadays but my main point was the lack of any ,even vague, criticism after the latest defeat. By all means luxuriate in the qualification, it was a good job well done. Clarke is a vast improvement on previous recent managers, no doubt about it. So is Robinson. 👍

4 hours ago, Saint@Johnstone said:

Supported Saints all my life, so know about disappointment and have never even mentioned champions league so don’t know where you got that from. Also, those three countries have always been much larger but it previously didn't stop us administering Englands biggest ever home defeat, Spain, as current European champions,a 2-6 home defeat or  thrashing France on a few occasions. I know things are different nowadays but my main point was the lack of any ,even vague, criticism after the latest defeat. By all means luxuriate in the qualification, it was a good job well done. Clarke is a vast improvement on previous recent managers, no doubt about it. So is Robinson. 👍

“thrashing France on a few occasions”

When?

IMG_4377.thumb.jpeg.c4ab8149e117e05d94dc07edf0164bab.jpeg

Best victory I ever saw against France was 1989 at Hampden. 
I also saw the home victory at Hampden in 2006. I watched the away win on TV through McFadden which we were fortunate to win. 
Neither were thrashings imho. 
Perhaps you remember the 1932 away victory which may have been a thrashing. 
I was in France in 2002 for a 5-0 loss. That was a thrashing. Could have been worse. 
I’ve seen loads of England v Scotland games home and away and I’ve never seen a thrashing by us. 
Same with Spain. Best victory was 3-1 with King Kenny scoring. 

You just seem to pride yourself on being a doom and gloom merchant.

My reference to the champions league was clearly a joke which is lost on you. 

You don’t seem to understand that times have changed with modern football (especially financial investment). Although historically Scotland produced quality players and could compete with the larger nations we will invariably be underdogs because of the reasons I stated. 

Great Scottish players down the years like Jim Baxter and Jimmy Johnstone (and many others) never even got to play at a major tournament. 

8 hours ago, Albanian Buddy said:

“thrashing France on a few occasions”

When?

IMG_4377.thumb.jpeg.c4ab8149e117e05d94dc07edf0164bab.jpeg

Best victory I ever saw against France was 1989 at Hampden. 
I also saw the home victory at Hampden in 2006. I watched the away win on TV through McFadden which we were fortunate to win. 
Neither were thrashings imho. 
Perhaps you remember the 1932 away victory which may have been a thrashing. 
I was in France in 2002 for a 5-0 loss. That was a thrashing. Could have been worse. 
I’ve seen loads of England v Scotland games home and away and I’ve never seen a thrashing by us. 
Same with Spain. Best victory was 3-1 with King Kenny scoring. 

You just seem to pride yourself on being a doom and gloom merchant.

My reference to the champions league was clearly a joke which is lost on you. 

You don’t seem to understand that times have changed with modern football (especially financial investment). Although historically Scotland produced quality players and could compete with the larger nations we will invariably be underdogs because of the reasons I stated. 

Great Scottish players down the years like Jim Baxter and Jimmy Johnstone (and many others) never even got to play at a major tournament. 

That’s me told, eh.

• 4 weeks later...
2 hours ago, faraway saint said:

The squad for the last two qualifying games.

Steve Clarke has been very loyal to the players that have been through this to date. 

He has called up Lawrence Shankland to replace injured Che Adams.

Personally I’d like to have seen Ben Doak in the squad as he could be a highly effective addition to the EURO24 squad.

Given we have already qualified I felt it was a great opportunity to give Ben Doak an opportunity at a senior competitive level. 

Could we have left one of the keepers behind or dropped a defender for this squad get together to see if Ben can enhance our strike force?

Obviously that argument may be null and void if Ben is injured. I just feel we need someone up front with a different style of play to what we currently have. 

Hey ho - in Steve we trust.