Liam Smith - 1 year loan

Drew

9 hours ago, djchapsticks said:

How so? Stubbs has already said another 2 definitely will come in, realistically 4 new faces though. 

Surely that can't be done with a fully blown budget? 

It seems people just make up what they want to hear.

10 hours ago, Kemp said:

One goal came from his crossing.

Look again.

Cammy Smith's first goal and for his second assist Kpekawa crosses to P McGinn who does a great wee header on to Cammy who then lays it off for Paul to cross for Stewart to score. Great play.

On 7/31/2018 at 11:10 AM, Lord Pityme said:

You can tell Stubbzo has set his stall out to field a solid, robust back line, and unfortunately that doesn't include a player like Liam whocould wander way up the park against wee teams, and see us pumped  By Livi, twice by Falkirk and once by Dun Utd, Morton etc, and anytime we met a premier team last season.

or back line wobbled on both flanks last year, hence why Stelios, Eckersley and Liam aint in the picture anymore. Time to accept that and move on.

I agree that McGinn is more solid as a defender than Smith, going forward is his strengths (same as Coulson). From what I've seen so far Baird, Kpekawa and Heaton are far from solid and Coulson still has a bit to do on the defending front in his development. 

For me one of the main priorities (after a striker) is another CB. I'm not confident in any combination of those players. Outside of that, I think you're being a bit harsh on Smith who was very consistent and some absolutely top drawer games. If he was here right now, I think he'd play ahead of McGinn. 

A lot of what we do will be down to budget though and it is certainly cause for concern we don't have great cover at right back, poor striker options and three less than impressive CB options. 

Guest TPAFKATS
Worrying signs on here that many think a run out against a piss poor Dumbarton prepares us for Premier League opposition.  We are in for a rough time if we don't strengthen soon.  Sadly it seems the budget for that has been blown already.
Increasingly looking like there ain't much left in the kitty.
When considering the budget we should compare not only playing staff but also coaching. Not sure about BR and DJ, but AS must be on a higher salary than JR was.

1 minute ago, TPAFKATS said:

Increasingly looking like there ain't much left in the kitty.
When considering the budget we should compare not only playing staff but also coaching. Not sure about BR and DJ, but AS must be on a higher salary than JR was.

It's bizzare to hear Stubbs talking of only two signings.  We need two centre backs, two wingers and two strikers at an absolute minimum.  We were always going to struggle to replace Harry Davis and Lewis Morgan, but we should have made a better fist of it than this.  Guys like Cooke and King are money down the drain. Some very weird decisions such as Darren Jackson's wage and the Heaton transfer fee. I'd say its very very difficult to justify these if we are indeed only able to make two or three new signings.

Guest TPAFKATS
It's bizzare to hear Stubbs talking of only two signings.  We need two centre backs, two wingers and two strikers at an absolute minimum.  We were always going to struggle to replace Harry Davis and Lewis Morgan, but we should have made a better fist of it than this.  Guys like Cooke and King are money down the drain. Some very weird decisions such as Darren Jackson's wage and the Heaton transfer fee. I'd say its very very difficult to justify these if we are indeed only able to make two or three new signings.
Not sure we need the 2 centre backs, but generally agree.
Just need to wait and see who we pick up this month.

Edinburgh rag reporting that Smith has been told by Avril that he can leave (on loan or permanently).

We need options at right back. We know the player - his strengths and areas requiring development. We know he has a good attitude, and loved his time at the club. Could we realistically expect to get better? I don't know about that.

Go and get him, I say.

On 8/1/2018 at 6:10 PM, Kemp said:

You expect Heaton to justify his price tag after two glorified preseason friendlies? And have assessed Cooke after an hour of playing time in said preseason?

Patience is indeed a virtue...