Nations Cup

DougJamie

So if we top the group with israel and albania it only means something if we then don't qualify from the "real" qualifying group which has still to be drawn? If this happened we would go into a play off with another 3rd tier team. None of this makes any sense! 

Plus all the teams will use the israel/albania type games as friendlies to try out new players etc in the build up to the real qualifying group when the whole point of these games was to get rid of friendlies and make games more competitive.

It would be a mistake to treat the Nations League as a bunch of friendlies - it is a second chance to ensure qualification for 2020. As we haven't qualified for anything since 1998, I don't think we can afford to turn our noses up at any opportunity.

Group Winners will also be promoted to the next tier up - so while it would make it harder to use the second chance next time it would be more competitive fixtures against higher quality opposition. (Of course even in the harder tiers, a team that beats us to the group may have qualified through regular means and we would still have a chance in NL playoffs as their replacements).

I think it is a good idea and will certainly give us more chances to watch Scotland when it matters.

31 minutes ago, southsidebud said:

It would be a mistake to treat the Nations League as a bunch of friendlies - it is a second chance to ensure qualification for 2020. As we haven't qualified for anything since 1998, I don't think we can afford to turn our noses up at any opportunity.

Group Winners will also be promoted to the next tier up - so while it would make it harder to use the second chance next time it would be more competitive fixtures against higher quality opposition. (Of course even in the harder tiers, a team that beats us to the group may have qualified through regular means and we would still have a chance in NL playoffs as their replacements).

I think it is a good idea and will certainly give us more chances to watch Scotland when it matters.

Remembering that one team from each Group of A, B,C and D will qualify..... meaning San Marino or Gibraltar, could qualify, but def one of the diddy teams, we are 3rd group and are 3rd highest seed, so if we beat say Finland we qualify unless Finland have already qualified. Basically means its pretty difficult not to qualify from our perspective. But I am sure we will find a way... 

Wonder if we will have a manager by the start of it?

Ok this backs up what Reegan and Doncaster actually think about Scotland in a Footballing Capacity

"They are certainly winnable matches from our perspective," he said. "We will go into them believing we can be promoted.

"There are financial incentives for promotion and then there is a second bite at the cherry for the Euros.

"It's a great opportunity for smaller nations to progress."

So the smaller nations like ROI, Belguim, Wales , NI, Iceland and the rest where do we see ourselves against them?

Small minded prats!!!! We aim so low then get upset when we fail there to. My point in another thread is. Its not a manager we need, or better players, we just need our FA to have an idea on how to run the nations football- I would even prefer Farry over this current bunch...............

Scotland will never progress under these idiots..................

14 minutes ago, jaybee said:

anyone know if  the Fulton here is the same one who was in the Connagham, Murray, Conne,l Fulton, M fadden,  Renton....................... team .... or have I LOST the plot?

Mark Fulton played against Arsenal.

The great Willie Fulton played in the 1960's

21 minutes ago, jaybee said:

anyone know if  the Fulton here is the same one who was in the Connagham, Murray, Conne,l Fulton, M fadden,  Renton....................... team .... or have I LOST the plot?

You have totally lost the plot.:lol:

Mouth Watering draw

Israel and Albania---- Wow................ on the plus side if we lose Hampden we could probably play the ties at our place and still have empty seats............ 

Dunno about that, the Albanian Mafia here are are sure to turn out on in their numbers.

In fact , our group could be a kosher wee set of fixtures all told, a sprinkling of ultra violence and geo political intrigue.

As for the fitba, f**k that

16 hours ago, Slartibartfast said:
18 hours ago, DougJamie said:
Ok this backs up what Reegan and Doncaster actually think about Scotland in a Footballing Capacity
"They are certainly winnable matches from our perspective," he said. "We will go into them believing we can be promoted.
"There are financial incentives for promotion and then there is a second bite at the cherry for the Euros.
"It's a great opportunity for smaller nations to progress."

So the smaller nations like ROI, Belguim, Wales , NI, Iceland and the rest where do we see ourselves against them?
Small minded prats!!!! We aim so low then get upset when we fail there to. My point in another thread is. Its not a manager we need, or better players, we just need our FA to have an idea on how to run the nations football- I would even prefer Farry over this current bunch...............
Scotland will never progress under these idiots..................

Aye, but what do you really think?

See under Total Cnuts thread

22 hours ago, shull said:
22 hours ago, jaybee said:

Mark Fulton played against Arsenal.

The great Willie Fulton played in the 1960's

Thank you for that..........I just wonder where I put those twenty years....they must be somewhere :)

11 hours ago, WeeBud said:

It's certainly not great but it is competitive by nature of the fact it's a league I suppose.........from a selfish point of view it'll give me an opportunity and extra reason to visit Israel, I'll give Albania a miss right enough!!

I would do it the other way round.

Saw Rick Stein doing Albania and looked a beautiful country.

Israel along with United States are the two countries I have no wish to visit.

7 hours ago, Slartibartfast said:
9 hours ago, Longtimecoming said:
I would do it the other way round.
Saw Rick Stein doing Albania and looked a beautiful country.
Israel along with United States are the two countries I have no wish to visit.

It's a long way from Oz to Albania.

Certainly is.