Hampden or Murrayfield

St.Ricky

Reported today that the SRU are showing Scottish Football Fans around Murray field Stadium.

Hampden holds a lot of memories for me at both club and international level but the changed and smaller stadium lacks the atmosphere of the past. Both Celtic Park and Ibrox have similar or larger capacity and are aruably better stadiums for viewing and noise.

The potential sale of Wembley throws forward the idea of the FA not owning the Stadium and similarly for the SFA in Scotland not to buy Hampden.

Attended the Scotland v England rugby fixture at Murray field and both viewing and atmosphere were great.

Difficult one but I would opt to build a new future at Murray field as a home for the Scottish National Football Team.

Others will disagree.

Hampden needs to be converted in to a football stadium.  Get that athletics track tae f**k to begin with, and get the stands right up on top of the pitch.

Its our national stadium, and football is our national sport.  Time to get a stadium the country can enjoy and be proud of.

4 hours ago, St.Ricky said:

Both Celtic Park and Ibrox have similar or larger capacity and are aruably better stadiums for viewing and noise.

I'm sure most of the stadium is probably decent for viewing but have you ever ventured into the shitey away end we usually get? Having visited around half the stadiums in the top 4 tiers I still haven't found one worse for viewing yet than that corner area. Either got that stupid pillar in the way or you are low enough down and still end up with a shite view.

Hampden. It’s a bit shit, but then it would be, given the budget it was redeveloped with. The best stadium I have ever been in is the new Wembley, but the money spent on it - it bloody well should be good, and it is.

4 hours ago, St.Ricky said:

Reported today that the SRU are showing Scottish Football Fans around Murray field Stadium.

Hampden holds a lot of memories for me at both club and international level but the changed and smaller stadium lacks the atmosphere of the past. Both Celtic Park and Ibrox have similar or larger capacity and are aruably better stadiums for viewing and noise.

The potential sale of Wembley throws forward the idea of the FA not owning the Stadium and similarly for the SFA in Scotland not to buy Hampden.

Attended the Scotland v England rugby fixture at Murray field and both viewing and atmosphere were great.

Difficult one but I would opt to build a new future at Murray field as a home for the Scottish National Football Team.

Others will disagree.

They`ve been doing that for years. 

http://www.scottishrugby.org/tickets-events/bt-murrayfield-stadium-tours

Was fortunate enough to take one a couple of years back, very impressive  and informative tour.

23 minutes ago, pozbaird said:

Hampden. It’s a bit shit, but then it would be, given the budget it was redeveloped with. The best stadium I have ever been in is the new Wembley, but the money spent on it - it bloody well should be good, and it is.

New Wembley is good. No doubt about that. Also like the new stadium built in Joburg for the world cup final and the Cape Town Stadium which was also built for that event. Serious money was spent on each. As others have said Hampden was redeveloped on a much smaller budget.  It would cost really big money to bring it up to date, Heighten the Stands and Bring Them Closer to the action. Have already said that I have great memories of games there. For me though it doesn't make sense to invest the amount of money that would be needed at Hampden when we have a perfectly good venue with easier access at Murrayfield. Clearly others differ. Difficult call for the SFA.

Definitely Hampden , Murrayfield may well be bigger but do we really need that extra capacity for Scottish Football ? Gone are the days when they could pack over 100k into the place , those crowds no longer exist in Scotland for football . .

54 minutes ago, St.Ricky said:

New Wembley is good. No doubt about that. Also like the new stadium built in Joburg for the world cup final and the Cape Town Stadium which was also built for that event. Serious money was spent on each. As others have said Hampden was redeveloped on a much smaller budget.  It would cost really big money to bring it up to date, Heighten the Stands and Bring Them Closer to the action. Have already said that I have great memories of games there. For me though it doesn't make sense to invest the amount of money that would be needed at Hampden when we have a perfectly good venue with easier access at Murrayfield. Clearly others differ. Difficult call for the SFA.

Don't think I would agree with that . From Paisley Hampden is way easier. .

1 hour ago, saintnextlifetime said:

Definitely Hampden , Murrayfield may well be bigger but do we really need that extra capacity for Scottish Football ? Gone are the days when they could pack over 100k into the place , those crowds no longer exist in Scotland for football . .

Don't think I would agree with that . From Paisley Hampden is way easier. .

SNL

You have a point there on travel from Paisley to Hampden.

I guess I am also heavily influenced by the argument that I would prefer to see money spent in developing the game at local levels rather in a showpiece Hampden. 

By chance I met with the organising committee of the world cup in South Africa. True they had to commit to build a number of 50000 plus modern stadiums and two with over 85000 to house the semi final and final. These then passed into club use. 

More impressive to me was FIFA insisting that they put in place 16500 trained coaches throughput the country in order to develop the game. 

Just my thoughts 

Edited by St.Ricky

20 minutes ago, St.Ricky said:

SNL

You have a point there on travel from Paisley to Hampden.

I guess I am also heavily influenced by the argument that I would prefer to see money spent in developing the game at local levels rather in a showpiece Hampden. 

By chance I met with the organising committee of the world cup in South Africa. True they had to commit to build a number of 50000 plus modern stadiums and two with over 85000 to house the semi final and final. These then passed into club use. 

More impressive to me was FIFA insisting that they put in place 16500 trained coaches throughput the country in order to develop the game. 

Just my thoughts 

Yeah , I get that you would need that extra capacity for a World Cup type event but once the carnival moves on you are left with stadiums that will never reach capacity . Whilst we have noticed an increase in crowds at Saint Mirren park in the last season , I don't think we are going to see a return to the huge crowds that we saw in yesteryear , it would nice to be wrong on that one though . The Stadiums in Glasgow were suffice for the recent Commonwealth Games held in the City too. .

1 minute ago, saintnextlifetime said:

Yeah , I get that you would need that extra capacity for a World Cup type event but once the carnival moves on you are left with stadiums that will never reach capacity . Whilst we have noticed an increase in crowds at Saint Mirren park in the last season , I don't think we are going to see a return to the huge crowds that we saw in yesteryear , it would nice to be wrong on that one though . The Stadiums in Glasgow were suffice for the recent Commonwealth Games held in the City too. .

Again... no great argument from me.  My main argument is not spending money to update Hsmpden but instead to invest in facilities across Scotland. 

Just now, St.Ricky said:

Again... no great argument from me.  My main argument is not spending money to update Hsmpden but instead to invest in facilities across Scotland. 

There should probably be some Lottery money for that , it certainly isnae a game anymore when there is only really one team likely to win the top flight in your country every year but other than the investment you speak of , l don't know how we would redress the balance as we have gone from a two horse race to a one horse race and neither of those options are really the way forward. .