Jump to content

Sign in to follow this  
Desperately Seeking Susans

The Coaching Thread

Recommended Posts

" Ok guys come over here a minute...Jake, FFS maintain your social distancing how many times do I need say that?

Right, I'm going to talk about a type of shot - an attempt on goal.  It's almost extinct, historical and very rarely seen nowadays.  It's called the 'lob'.  

This should be used when you've got defenders in front of you.  Rather than shoot, which will likely be blocked, pretend to shoot and defenders slide in front of you, the goalkeeper thinking you are going to shoot will come off his line to narrow angle leaving substantial space behind him.  That's when you lob the ball over their heads and of course into the net.  Ok guys give it a try tomorrow"

😁

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, Desperately Seeking Susans said:

" Ok guys come over here a minute...Jake, FFS maintain your social distancing how many times do I need say that?

Right, I'm going to talk about a type of shot - an attempt on goal.  It's almost extinct, historical and very rarely seen nowadays.  It's called the 'lob'.  

This should be used when you've got defenders in front of you.  Rather than shoot, which will likely be blocked, pretend to shoot and defenders slide in front of you, the goalkeeper thinking you are going to shoot will come off his line to narrow angle leaving substantial space behind him.  That's when you lob the ball over their heads and of course into the net.  Ok guys give it a try tomorrow"

😁

 

Didn’t Obika try one in a recent game and made a rip roaring khunt of it?

Or was It a chance that was screaming out to be lobbed but he just blootered it?

I cannae mind. 
This was my helpful addition to your thread. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, TPAFKA Jersey 2 said:

Didn’t Obika try one in a recent game and made a rip roaring khunt of it?

Or was It a chance that was screaming out to be lobbed but he just blootered it?

I cannae mind. 
This was my helpful addition to your thread. 

It was against Aberdeen, under hit it as I recall. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Adam Hammill scored a couple of crackers during his brief spell with us, the current trend is for defenders to press up and keepers to be the last defender (sic) which leaves the opportunity for a lob from the halfway line - definitely something worth practising.

Edited by Bud the Baker

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, TPAFKA Jersey 2 said:

I thought it was that one. Why were Spartans playing there. I’m asssuming the opposition wasn’t Airdrie. 

The Excelsior Stadium is a favourite venue for Youth team cup finals.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

15 minutes ago, TPAFKA Jersey 2 said:

Interesting wee fact that it’s the highest football stadium in the Scottish League. I’d never have guessed that. 

It IS interesting!

(if you like that kinda thing.  :)  )

Spurred on by it I had a look for England.

The Hawthorns :  WBA  fc  551 feet above sea level.

First English Stadium I was ever in.

Some other interesting-ish facts here...

The Highest and Lowest Stadiums (England and Wales) - Midfield Dynamo

 

 

Lowest in Scotland - mibbe Gayfield?

It certainly scratches around the bottom.  Matron...

Edited by antrin

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, antrin said:

 

It IS interesting!

(if you like that kinda thing.  :)  )

Spurred on by it I had a look for England.

The Hawthorns :  WBA  fc  551 feet above sea level.

First English Stadium I was ever in.

Some other interesting-ish facts here...

The Highest and Lowest Stadiums (England and Wales) - Midfield Dynamo

 

 

Lowest in Scotland - mibbe Gayfield?

It certainly scratches around the bottom.  Matron...

Inverness is right on the shoreline.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...