Saudi Pro League

exiledfan

2 hours ago, exiledfan said:

I can't help but think the major signings getting made in Saudi are going to have a knock on effect to the English premier League and TV money.

I wonder if they will start to plow money into the Saudi brand at the expense of previous investments.

Given the human rights issues in that part of the world I can't see that happening.

6 hours ago, exiledfan said:

I can't help but think the major signings getting made in Saudi are going to have a knock on effect to the English premier League and TV money.

I wonder if they will start to plow money into the Saudi brand at the expense of previous investments.

Every cloud and all that…..English football has/had always marketed itself well (best league in the world, every team can beat each other shite) but the reality was it had more money than anyone else and garnered more from its’ “brand” status. I’ve never really enjoyed the sanitised version of the last ten years.

18 hours ago, stlucifer said:

Given the human rights issues in that part of the world I can't see that happening.

I would tend to agree but then again the rhetoric coming out from the elected in this country could be conveyed as human rights issues as well. Depends what side of the lens you look through 

6 minutes ago, alwaystrue said:

I would tend to agree but then again the rhetoric coming out from the elected in this country could be conveyed as human rights issues as well. Depends what side of the lens you look through 

And I agree what this right wing, atrocious are attempting to do IS an afront to decency and justice but the TV deal is already in place and established. It would be very hard to walk away from even if they wanted to.

On 7/13/2023 at 2:46 PM, exiledfan said:

I doubt this league will have any real effect on the EPL.

There's been similar leagues that were throwing money around (China, USA) but mainly attracted players at the end of their careers or players who really aren't world class anyway.

Granted the kingdom has serious money but there's already been one team that's been stopped in it's tracks.

The lure of the Champions League will be a bigger attraction to most top class players so I expect this current frenzy to tail off in the near future. 

"The club Al Nassr is currently prevented from registering new players due to outstanding debts," FIFA said Thursday. "The relevant bans will be lifted immediately upon the settlement of the debts being confirmed by the creditors concerned."

23 hours ago, faraway saint said:

I doubt this league will have any real effect on the EPL.

There's been similar leagues that were throwing money around (China, USA) but mainly attracted players at the end of their careers or players who really aren't world class anyway.

Granted the kingdom has serious money but there's already been one team that's been stopped in it's tracks.

The lure of the Champions League will be a bigger attraction to most top class players so I expect this current frenzy to tail off in the near future. 

"The club Al Nassr is currently prevented from registering new players due to outstanding debts," FIFA said Thursday. "The relevant bans will be lifted immediately upon the settlement of the debts being confirmed by the creditors concerned."

Relevant and informative.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...