Favourite Artist Or Singer

HAMMY #COYS

When you get to my age you cannea be arsed listening to music. prefer silence when I am relaxing as with 4 teenagers in the house the moments you get alone it's nicer to sit in a quiet enviroment.

edit to add due to my senility if I fancy listening to music I stick on a bit of Mogwai or Arab Strap or even a bit of grant green or donald byrd. and my favourite voice is Aretha Franklin

Arab Strap = good shout.

The last Aiden Moffatt & Bill Wells album was superb. A modern classic.

Not enough space on the server to list my favourites. I used to DJ and still love and listen to dance music (even though I am over 21). I once spent a week listening to R&B for 20hrs a day and finally got brainwashed into really liking it smile.png .

Edit to add: try some of the french DJs like Claude Challe and Stephan Pompougnac - fantastic stuff!!!

However I have a wide range of tastes (except heavy metal). Artists that have stayed with me over the years include Neil Young, New Order / JD, Tod Rundgren and Leonard Cohen. These days I am listening to a lot of Nick Cave and Richard Hawley. Too much good music out there!

Edited by Sonny

Prog rock has that effect on me, too.....

Fekkin autocorrect

Prog rock is just a term and I really dislike labelling. Many good acts are labelled wrongly and to be honest prog rock covers such a wide range of artists and musical styles. I gives a hint for a step towards a style of music that fans can relate to. You would be surprised by just how accessible a lot of 'prog' music is and its not about 25 minutes tracks and 10 minute guitar noodling. Too many people think of Yes, Emerson Lake and Palmer and Pink Floyd when you mention prog rock.

Have never picked up on you being serious about music never mind a collector you have good taste there. I’m a collector myself Amazon is brilliant in that you have dealers from mainland Europe and America . Picked up brand new vinyl copy of an old Dave Edmonds vinyl album I used have when younger. As a young man used to hear a track called jig a jig which I managed to track down again on Amazon on vinyl by a group called Skyclad they are like a heavy jig band awesome stuff .Also just bought the first two vinyl albums of Dire Straits. The best one found was the debut album from Gallagher & Lyle which was a full promotional copy for a radio station somewhere in America. It’s white label signed with all sorts of promotional stuff inside the cover. Slade Alive used to be played in the bedroom as a teenager now you get this and many more old albums getting the second time around put onto vinyl , great for music lovers only problem is the market is endless full of albums wanted. Can’t pick any one band or artist so many plus I love all types of music on the rock side it has to be prog.

Thanks for you comments mate. Yes, been collecting since 1970 and have a large and ecletic taste in music from the classic pop bands of the last 4 decades to all sorts of rock music; jazz, symphonic, classic and fusion. I still find some great bands from around the world and there is a whole world of great pop and rock outside the UK and USA. Scandinavia have and are continually producing some great pop and rock while Poland is a hotbed for the more progressive scene.

Been a gig goer for 40 years or more and have seen most of the big acts at their peak; Bowie concert in 73 was the highlight as was Dire Straits in 1987.

It is a passion of mine but won't say any more as it will send others to sleep. If you want some great prog sent you way then pm me and I can sort something out. I am sure I can surprise you with new names and new sounds.

Horses for courses but is that the best you can add to the thread? I was simply trying to enlighten others of a lot of good music out there beyond the realms of the crass top 40 where most of those will be forgotten in a year or two.

You see Ned, that's the kind of "crass" comment that makes me laugh.

"Horses for courses" and you come out with that music snobbery that's rife in certain age groups.

Music is for everybody and for you to think that, just because you think popular (Check that out, by the way) is crass suggests that anything out of the top 40 is "cool".

Sorry, piss poor post. thumbdown.gifthumbdown.gifthumbdown.gif

PS Two of your best ever gigs were Bowie & Dire Straits, what do you think contributed to their success?

Edited by faraway saint

Horses for courses but is that the best you can add to the thread? I was simply trying to enlighten others of a lot of good music out there beyond the realms of the crass top 40 where most of those will be forgotten in a year or two.

and you are john peel

You see Ned, that's the kind of "crass" comment that makes me laugh.

"Horses for courses" and you come out with that music snobbery that's rife in certain age groups.

Music is for everybody and for you to think that, just because you think popular (Check that out, by the way) is crass suggests that anything out of the top 40 is "cool".

Sorry, piss poor post. thumbdown.gifthumbdown.gifthumbdown.gif

PS Two of your best ever gigs were Bowie & Dire Straits, what do you think contributed to their success?

I would say their Lps success.

So the Album chart

Dire Straits must be the most tedious band ever and deserve to be castrated,

music for people who wear marks and spencers tank tops.

and Prog Rock died when the sex pistols released never mind the bollocks.

Edited by stevie-dee

I would say their Lps success.

So the Album chart

So the fact that Bowie has had over 50 singles in the top 40 and Dire Straits over 12 hasn't led to album sales increasing?

Single's success mainly leads to groups building a fan base to allow them to sell albums, and in turn, become more successful

It's no surprise that since Dire Straits single success has dropped so has the album sales.

Are you REALLY saying the singles chart has no relationship to an artists success?

Edited by faraway saint

Bowie was great up until 1980 after that he left me cold.

but what a back catalogue

honky dory

station to station

low

heroes

scary monsters

still brilliant to this day but he is a pop star.

best gigs

felt at rooftops glasgow

james brown in hamburg

pere ubu in edinburgh

psychedelic furs in the bungalow paisley

the cure in achan germany

joy division at the milch weg in amsterdam

and Nikki Sudden at Rooftops and in town and country.

I used to own a record and book shop called Red Cat in Virginia Galleries

and before that ran a record stall at the Barras

and those serious music collectors were great for business

paying well over the odds for obscure albums by the like of

King Crimson or the Red Krayola that I picked up for 50p in a charity shop.

Dance music is the best as there is nothing intelectual or snobby about it,

people just want to dance and have a good time at a night out not naval gaze

about who produced Miles Davis Bitches Brew.

Edited by stevie-dee

An educational post. No wonder I fell asleepsnore.gif

Bowie was great up until 1980 after that he left me cold.

but what a back catalogue

honky dory

station to station

low

heroes

scary monsters

still brilliant to this day  but he is a pop star.

best gigs

felt at rooftops glasgow

james brown in hamburg

pere ubu in edinburgh

psychedelic furs in the bungalow paisley

the cure in achan germany

joy division at the milch weg in amsterdam

and Nikki Sudden at Rooftops and in town and country.

I used to own a record and book shop called Red Cat in Virginia Galleries

and before that ran a record stall at the Barras

and those serious music collectors were great for business

paying well over the odds for obscure albums by the like of

King Crimson or the Red Krayola that I picked up for 50p in a charity shop.

Dance music is the best as there is nothing intelectual or snobby about it,

people just want to dance and have a good time at a night out not naval gaze

about who produced Miles Davis Bitches Brew.

I used to love going to the Virginia galleries back in the early 90s all those poster shops and wacky clothes must have been in ure shop plenty of times

Sent from my HTC One V using Black & White Army mobile app

why is it that when you get to a certain age all you listen to is music from your youth. and you think modern music is rubbish.

Only if you don't keep an open mind. There's loads of good new bands. You just need to keep looking and trying some out. Edited by Leicester Saint