Give David Cornell A Break

BAWZ

I'm getting sick of the constant berating of a young keeper who seems to be one of several popular scapegoats on here, (probably second to Danny). The man is not getting the protection he deserves from the 10 players in front of him. I'd especially lay that blame on our centre pairing of McAusland and Goodwin who just don't work well together.

Looks at tonight's stats as an example. Queen of the South had 14 attempts at goal, 9 of which were on target. Should a Premier League goalkeeper be exposed to that much pressure from a lower division club? I don't think so.

According to the BBC report, the second goal cam about "when (goalkeeper) Antell's long punt was misjudged by St Mirren skipper Jim Goodwin, opening the space for Paton to steer a clever lob beyond the stranded Cornell."

I think Cornell has a bright future, but he'll be no good to us if the fans put further dents in his confidence, which must already be low when he watches what happens in front of him every week.

Edited by BAWZ

Cant argue with that post - my only question is Why did The Manager not try and look at signing an experienced goalkeeper as a replacement for Samson?

It is unfair to blame Cornell for everything that has went wrong so far but imo this lad should not have been the first choice keeper in the first place.

Not sure what the mentality of the players is? but one things for sure is that the fans will go mental on saturday at them and the manager if we lose again !!!!

Cant argue with that post - my only question is Why did The Manager not try and look at signing an experienced goalkeeper as a replacement for Samson?

It is unfair to blame Cornell for everything that has went wrong so far but imo this lad should not have been the first choice keeper in the first place.

Not sure what the mentality of the players is? but one things for sure is that the fans will go mental on saturday at them and the manager if we lose again !!!!

Maybe he felt with the amount of experience in the defence, he didn't need an experienced goalkeeper?

Maybe that's all the budget allowed for?

Maybe he was the best goalkeeper available, in his opinion.

He had a decent game especially the first half.

He was poor for second goal and his communication skills are poor but like you say he is young and will get better.

Only problem is we can't afford to be developing a young inexperienced keeper for some other team when we're fighting at the wrong end of the table.

David Cornell is far from the main problem at St Mirren Park.

However, he's not good enough to be our number 1, and we seen that again tonight.

You were right pre-season.

We have 2 keepers who aren't good enough.

Edited by davidg

When the second goal went in?

whistling.gif

What , the second goal when our captain made a rip roaring c**t of it allowing the queens guy to hit a cracking goal ?

& you choose not to mention the four or five excellent saves in the first half alone !

Ive not been his No1 fan but i think its unfair to point the finger at him for tonights debacle

What , the second goal when our captain made a rip roaring c**t of it allowing the queens guy to hit a cracking goal ?

& you choose not to mention the four or five excellent saves in the first half alone !

Ive not been his No1 fan but i think its unfair to point the finger at him for tonights debacle

I'm not blaming him for the defeat at all tonight, he is certainly not the reason he lost. Both Goodwin and Cornell were at fault for the second goal. He was so far out of position it was unreal. He did make a few good saves earlier in the game but keepers live and die by their mistakes and he made a big one with the the second goal.

Like i said originally, he is by no means the main problem at the football club. We'd be in a similar position with Manuel Neur in goals i feel. However, he is the worst goalkeeper i've ever seen play for St Mirren in the top flight, by quite some distance too.

Everyone seems to regard Craig Samson as some kind of god! He lost us umpteen soft goals last season and didn't get half of the abuse that Cornell has got in his 1st few weeks!

There really are some supporters who once they've got something in their heads thats it no matter what happens they'll sit and shout abuse until that player has lost all their confidence and wants to leave.

The same could be said for our manager who has been taking abuse since day 1 because he wasn't gus McPherson, you know that guy who told us all to go to the pictures if we wanted entertainment!

The same could be said about imrie who the fans drove out the door, a player who I'm sure the majority of our fans would agree wouldve been very useful in the current squad!

I even remember mo cameras debut where he hadn't even touched the ball and he was getting abuse. Then there was mark yardley....I could go on all night.

It is this sort of abusive behaviour and unwillingness to change opinions no matter what happens that has actually put me off going to games now.

People all over Twitter and Facebook giving Cornell some serious stick last night. I quote...."F*ck off back to Swansea", "He's f*cking pish" etc etc...

The majority of those posters however, I know weren't even in Dumfries! Unbelievable.

Give the guy a break indeed..

I'm not blaming him for the defeat at all tonight, he is certainly not the reason he lost. Both Goodwin and Cornell were at fault for the second goal. He was so far out of position it was unreal. He did make a few good saves earlier in the game but keepers live and die by their mistakes and he made a big one with the the second goal.

Like i said originally, he is by no means the main problem at the football club. We'd be in a similar position with Manuel Neur in goals i feel. However, he is the worst goalkeeper i've ever seen play for St Mirren in the top flight, by quite some distance too.

Your obviously too young to have seen Les Fridge play ! tongue.png