The Referendum Thread

Lanarkshire_Bud

Scottish Independence Referendum  

286 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

A couple of points

Scotland is a net contributor to the uk finances.

It's STILL not about Alicsammin.

No it isn't. Scotland is a net benefactor. This was even confirmed in the much Natsi vaunted blog by Rachel Holmes where she was supposedly debunking Gordon Browns speech on pensions in an independent Scotland. In her blog she said that Scotland collects around 9.5% of UK Total Tax Revenues and she acknowledges that it gets more than that it raises in return.

Scotland sits in the deficit side of the UK balance sheet and it certainly is not a net contributor to UK finances.

Oh and I know the referendum is not about Alex Salmond. As I said last night if the SNP had the foresight and intelligence to have made Jim Sillars leader of the party the Yes Campaign would probably have been long out of sight and Independence would probably have been won long ago, instead you've got this blustering fanny leading your party telling the world that Fred Goodwin and Vlad Putin are two of the people he admires most.

No it isn't. Scotland is a net benefactor. This was even confirmed in the much Natsi vaunted blog by Rachel Holmes where she was supposedly debunking Gordon Browns speech on pensions in an independent Scotland. In her blog she said that Scotland collects around 9.5% of UK Total Tax Revenues and she acknowledges that it gets more than that it raises in return.

Scotland sits in the deficit side of the UK balance sheet and it certainly is not a net contributor to UK finances.

Oh and I know the referendum is not about Alex Salmond. As I said last night if the SNP had the foresight and intelligence to have made Jim Sillars leader of the party the Yes Campaign would probably have been long out of sight and Independence would probably have been won long ago, instead you've got this blustering fanny leading your party telling the world that Fred Goodwin and Vlad Putin are two of the people he admires most.

Benefactor a person whose actions benefit another.

You are just a little bit confused, Stuart. How can Scotland be a benefactor to the UK if it is on the deficit side of the balance sheet, and( something I cannot get my head around) why, if Scotland is such a drag on the UK's finances, which I think is what you meant to say, is the UK so keen to hang on to us. I am sure that if you were responsible for a loss-making enterprise you would drop it like a hot brick.

Benefactor a person whose actions benefit another.

You are just a little bit confused, Stuart. How can Scotland be a benefactor to the UK if it is on the deficit side of the balance sheet, and( something I cannot get my head around) why, if Scotland is such a drag on the UK's finances, which I think is what you meant to say, is the UK so keen to hang on to us. I am sure that if you were responsible for a loss-making enterprise you would drop it like a hot brick.

Maybe it's the wrong word then. Let me try again - Scotland is leeching off of the rest of the UK. It's welfare dependent. Is that better?

As for the rest of the UK and why it wants to stay together - I'd have thought that was obvious. As the United Kingdom we've risen to a position of influence and power way beyond our size. We've always been Better Together, and always will be. Separation is suicide.

Edited by Stuart Dickson

I think I possibly understand what you may have been trying to say, but I'm not sure and if you read it over again maybe you'll understand why I don't understand completely. At least maybe.

We may or may not be better off as an independent country = uncertainty. We will be worse off if we stay in the union = certainty. Easy.

:)

Maybe it's the wrong word then. Let me try again - Scotland is leeching off of the rest of the UK. It's welfare dependent. Is that better?

As for the rest of the UK and why it wants to stay together - I'd have thought that was obvious. As the United Kingdom we've risen to a position of influence and power way beyond our size. We've always been Better Together, and always will be. Separation is suicide.

Are you really suggesting that the loss of 5million people will reduce the "inluence and power" of the UK, of which Scotland is such a relatively small part, and how much influence and power do you really believe the UK now has? The days of the British Empire are in the dim and distant past, although the present UK government( and several of its predecessors) still seem to be living in the past.

PS The word you were looking for is beneficiary.

Edited by smcc

What we have now is certainly not crap. There are certainly things which the UK fails at. Our NHS is hopelessly inefficient, we're too generous with welfare and we make it too easy for the workshy to choose unemployment as a career option, and our state education system seems to be failing to deliver anything like value for money in each of the four constituent parts of the United Kingdom.

However as part of the UK we get to enjoy being part of one of the worlds leading powers, one of the worlds richest countries, a country where we enjoy amongst the highest rates of pay,one of the lowest rates of tax, one of the lowest rates of unemployment and one of the highest standards of living anywhere in the world. The idea that we should vote all that away for an unsubstantiated notion that we might be able to do things better on our own is ridiculous and can only really be explained away through many Scots xenophobic hatred of the English.

Living in France, for equivalent salary, I now pay around one sixth of the tax I paid in the UK. Tax laws are one thing that I think need serious revision in the UK.

Yes vote = David Cameron resigns

Yes vote = Alex Salmond resigns

Hate whoever you like but everyone can win!

Guest TPAFKATS

Wouldn't that involve realising that what Salmond said doesn't actually support Putin in any way and having to retract all those misinformed comments?

Never going to happen, ts.

Indeed

Living in France, for equivalent salary, I now pay around one sixth of the tax I paid in the UK. Tax laws are one thing that I think need serious revision in the UK.

Yes vote = David Cameron resigns

Yes vote = Alex Salmond resigns

Hate whoever you like but everyone can win!

Really?.....and REALLY!! :rolleyes:

The question relates to tax. See all the tax cards I can see suggest higher taxes in France.

VAT at 19.6%

Income Tax chargeable from €6000 per annum at 5%, rising to 14% with a top rate of 50%

A Social Security tax at 6%

An annual wealth tax on all worldwide assets. Etc.

Reports from the South East of England suggest that biggest uptake in property there is from French buyers keen to pay less tax.

I'm not saying you aren't paying less tax but I can't see me paying less if I was to move.

The second Really is for the fact that you are debating for Independence whilst living in France where you'll be immune from the consequences. No wonder you can afford to stick to an ideology driven stance when you aren't going to be left paying for it

It was his fellow party members that screwed him. Like they've been screwing Scotland for centuries.

And i see you can't provide the proof for the statement you made. Same old dicko always lying.

Sorry? Proof for what?

It's Yes voters who make statements like "there's lots of evidence we'll be worse off in the union" and then fail to back it up with any evidence at all. :rolleyes:

Really?.....and REALLY!! rolleyes.gif

The question relates to tax. See all the tax cards I can see suggest higher taxes in France.

VAT at 19.6%

Income Tax chargeable from €6000 per annum at 5%, rising to 14% with a top rate of 50%

A Social Security tax at 6%

An annual wealth tax on all worldwide assets. Etc.

Reports from the South East of England suggest that biggest uptake in property there is from French buyers keen to pay less tax.

I'm not saying you aren't paying less tax but I can't see me paying less if I was to move.

The second Really is for the fact that you are debating for Independence whilst living in France where you'll be immune from the consequences. No wonder you can afford to stick to an ideology driven stance when you aren't going to be left paying for it

For a start your figures are wrong. Top rate is 45% and only my salary above a whopping 453,600 EUR per year would get into that bracket!! You either didn't do very much research or conveniently missed out the fact that France look at your household income, not personal. So my salary is divvied up between me, my wife and my 2 kids so we all benefit by adding up all our individual 6000 EUR tax free allowances and none of our income goes above the 14% rate. For your first 5 years you can also get 20% of your salary entirely exempt of tax on top of all this! The UK government doesn't care if my salary is to feed and clothe me or my whole family meaning that families are worse off.

Maybe multi-millionaire single playboys could end up paying more but the average joe with wife and sprogs do extremely well for tax here.

Your second "really" is also incorrect. I still own property in Scotland, pay tax on it, pay NI in the UK on my full salary (I don't pay social security in France) and I still pay into private UK pension and there is every intent to move back to Scotland one day. I don't get a vote but I will certainly be affected by it's consequences.

Again, do keep up. I know it's not like you to look at things in isolation and out of context but I did say it's opinon in the original post that Rick quoted. It was the reply you picked up on, ignoring the rest of the convo.

ETA - it's the post you bizarrely claimed was proof that "natsis" (not pejorative in any way) are undemocratic (ditto).

Edited by salmonbuddie

For a start your figures are wrong. Top rate is 45% and only my salary above a whopping 453,600 EUR per year would get into that bracket!! You either didn't do very much research or conveniently missed out the fact that France look at your household income, not personal. So my salary is divvied up between me, my wife and my 2 kids so we all benefit by adding up all our individual 6000 EUR tax free allowances and none of our income goes above the 14% rate. For your first 5 years you can also get 20% of your salary entirely exempt of tax on top of all this! The UK government doesn't care if my salary is to feed and clothe me or my whole family meaning that families are worse off.

Maybe multi-millionaire single playboys could end up paying more but the average joe with wife and sprogs do extremely well for tax here.

Your second "really" is also incorrect. I still own property in Scotland, pay tax on it, pay NI in the UK on my full salary (I don't pay social security in France) and I still pay into private UK pension and there is every intent to move back to Scotland one day. I don't get a vote but I will certainly be affected by it's consequences.

Don't expect a reply, now that you've proven everything that he's said to be total bullshit.

Business is changing its mind

http://m.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-scotland-politics-27291668

The Tesco chairman has also said that Tesco Bank's HQ would stay in Scotland in the event of a Yes vote.

Edited due to a combination of stupidity and inability to read what's on the page.

I think I know what a BT member feels like.............................................................whistling.gif

Edited by FTOF