The Referendum Thread

Lanarkshire_Bud

Scottish Independence Referendum  

286 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Ok, enough, I'm changing my mind........................

(Anything to stop the attempts to brainwash me whistling.gif )

I'm afraid nothing will ever stop you from trolling or actually going to watch St Mirren FS

No doubt you will come back with another few words of meaningless f**k all

Hope you don't mind if we actually get back on subject.

An exclusive opinion poll for Scotland on Sunday, published just one month before the crucial vote, reveals that support for independence still lags behind the No vote, but has risen by 4 percentage points since last month to 38 per cent.

Over the same period, support for a No vote has risen two percentage points to 47 per cent, as the percentage of undecided voters fell 7 percentage points to 14 per cent.

When undecided voters were stripped out of the equation, the ICM poll found that support for No stood at 55 per cent, a decrease of two percentage points on last month, while support for Yes stood at 45 per cent, an increase of two percentage points.

I'm afraid nothing will ever stop you from trolling or actually going to watch St Mirren FS

No doubt you will come back with another few words of meaningless f**k all

Hope you don't mind if we actually get back on subject.

An exclusive opinion poll for Scotland on Sunday, published just one month before the crucial vote, reveals that support for independence still lags behind the No vote, but has risen by 4 percentage points since last month to 38 per cent.

Over the same period, support for a No vote has risen two percentage points to 47 per cent, as the percentage of undecided voters fell 7 percentage points to 14 per cent.

When undecided voters were stripped out of the equation, the ICM poll found that support for No stood at 55 per cent, a decrease of two percentage points on last month, while support for Yes stood at 45 per cent, an increase of two percentage points.

If you weren't so daft posting stuff twice I wouldn't have ventured into this shite.bye1.gif

Just to elucidate a bit, could you explain to your supporters what fiat money is and how it affects national debt?

The bottom line is always the best answer Rick.

It will lead to more hostilities which in effect will affect the poor of the country more than most though it will effect everybody in the form of cutbacks. You think food banks are bad just now.

If you weren't so daft posting stuff twice I wouldn't have ventured into this shite.bye1.gif

At least you managed to write a few more words than normal , not much mind but a slight improvement.

Maybe on day we will see you get into a debate about something but won't hold my breath

The bottom line is always the best answer Rick.

It will lead to more hostilities which in effect will affect the poor of the country more than most though it will effect everybody in the form of cutbacks. You think food banks are bad just now.

I don't want to get into a discussion about economies and national debt. In some respects the national debt is not particularly relevant hard as that might be to accept.

I would just add that recently all we've been hearing from a lot of you guys is 'scaremongering'. Even the Australian prime minister has been accused. What is that stupid bloody clicking debtometer apart from a scare tool especially when so few really understand the intricacies of national debt. And before you accuse me of it, I'm not saying it's a good thing. Just not as horrendous as it superficially appears.

Guest TPAFKATS

Danny Alexander for starters. (I know, I know but I have to get off to work).

My point (and it seems to be the same as Herr Dixon's, I know, I know.... ) is that Scots ARE already represented in Parliament and proportionally so, more powerfully than will ever be the case of wee Scotland in big Europe.

This will be a vote for less representation and less say at a bigger table.... If/when Scotland get intae the EU.

Are Scots really proportionally represented in Westminster? Surely we should have an equal percentage of Mp's to either population or land mass?

Edit- hope work was ok, I'm off for a pint. It's a sabbath ritual...

Edited by TPAFKATS

Are Scots really proportionally represented in Westminster? Surely we should have an equal percentage of Mp's to either population or land mass?

You do. 63.35m is the population of the UK. 650 MP's. That's an average of 1 MP to every 97,000 people.

Scotlands population is 5.295m, represented by 59 MP's. Thats an average of 1 MP to every 89,000 people.

I don't know why you think that land mass would be important. All you would be doing is giving some of the rich estate owners in Scotland an MP's to represent their own interests. That's hardly a decent version of democracy.

Maybe it's just me but I can't understand why there are still people out there who are considering voting Yes.

The White Paper on Independence cited three central planks to Scotland's future.

1. We would be admitted to the EU

2. We would be using the £

3. We will join NATO.

Now, starting in reverse order.

3. Joining NATO means that one of the central planks of the Independence Campaign is dishonest. You cannot claim that an independent Scotland would not have to take part in military operations in countries that don't involve us when you sign the Northern Atlantic Treaty. Instead you have to supply troops, weapons and support to whatever campaigns NATO deems to be essential. Currently that would mean involvement in defending Turkey from Syria. Previously it would also have meant enforcing a no fly zone over Libya, a counter piracy operation in Somalia, and a "sustained air campaign targeting infrastructure in Serbia and Serbian forces in Kosovo with the ulterior aim of getting the Serbs out and the refugee's back in". The idea that Scotland could enjoy the full protection of the organisation whilst telling them to stick Trident up their arse and refusing to offer support and assistance when called to by NATO is frankly absurd and ridiculous and it proves that one of the main central planks of the Independent argument is completely dishonest.

2. Sterling....over the past few weeks it's become clear that Salmond is banking all on a Currency Union with the rest of the UK. The leaders of the three major UK parties have told him that this will not happen, and the Governor of the Bank of England has made it clear on the 29th of January 2014 that a currency union cannot come without some loss of sovereignty. In the last two weeks the SNP have been caught lying when John Swinney claimed that the Scottish Government was holding technical discussions with the Bank of England over a Currency Union. Alex Salmond stood up in Holyrood and claimed that this proved Alastair Darling was wrong and yet before that day was out the Bank of England had issued a press statement delivering a historic and unprecedented rebuke of Salmond and Swinney saying that "no such discussions had taken place". Salmond then responded - presumably to save some face - in claiming that if Scotland couldn't get Currency Union with the rest of the UK then Scotland would default on Scotland's share of the National Debt whilst continuing to use Sterling in the same way that Panama uses the US Dollar or that Montenegro uses the Euro - with zero control of monetary policy or the economic levers important in stabilising your countries economy. Defaulting on National Debt has two other pronounced effects though - which brings me onto point 1.

1. EU Membership. We know that it is written in various EU Treaties that for Scotland to join the EU they would need the consent of all current member states. We also know that to join the EU you need to agree to be working towards joining the Eurozone. Now ignoring all the technical and legal issues surrounding Euro Membership - do you think all of the current members of the EU would vote in favour of Scottish membership? Would one of the members at least - the UK - not be likely to reject membership if an independent Scotland has started off the life of the new country by defaulting to them on national debt payments? And how would the rest of Europe view an application from Scotland knowing that when it doesn't get it's way in negotiations it's political leaders will immediately use the threat of fiscal default in a bid to bully others into accepting it's will.

http://www.scotecon.org/pdf/SES-Indy-ebook.pdf

After some dafty tried to get everyone to view the Wee Blue Book, written by some odious individual from Bath who has promised to quit Scotland if Scotland doesn't vote Yes :rolleyes: here is some reading for grown ups.

This book is a balanced representation of the facts, and figures, of the Economic Consequences of Scottish Independence. For an economics book it's reasonably easy to follow and it's conclusions look fairly damaging for the Yes Campaign. Unfortunately it doesn't contain deliberately provocative views like "laughing through 9/11" or blaming Liverpool fans for not "kicking back their heels, wiggling their elbows and getting out of trouble" at Hillsborough to keep you reading.

Do any of these Guy's represent the interest of the Population of Scotland ?

attachicon.gifBun8WZ-CMAAiqYQ.jpg

Of course they do. During the last General Election some 1,931,077 Scots voted for their parties. Only 491,386 voted for the SNP.

Break it down further and just under 900,000 Scots voted for the parties that make up the current coalition government. Almost DOUBLE the number that voted for the SNP.

No surprise, I guess, that a Natsi would have trouble grasping the concept of democracy.

Edited by Stuart Dickson

After "some dafty" tried to get everyone to view the Wee Blue Book,

I am deeply honoured, that 2 days after Mr Dickson claims to have "put me on ignore" he continues to refer to me!

Not only that, he still talks about the "Wee blue book" http://wingsoverscotland.com/weebluebook/

Which now has over 250000 downloads & has generated over £50k in TWO DAYS!

NOBODY can dismiss that as insignificant!

Oh dear. Yet another SNP lie torn asunder. Well I'm assuming it's a lie and not just the fact that Alex Neil, Alex Salmond, Nicola Sturgeon and John Swinney have no idea what they are talking about.

Is there any credibility left in any of their rhetoric? No wonder the Yes Campaign is taking a hammering. The way this is going I might buy the popcorn in and have a right good laugh at Alex Salmond in the next debate. It usually makes for shit TV but I suspect this time round we'll be witnessing the demise of one of the most hated politicians Scotland has ever seen - (basing my assumption on Salmonds comments on Margaret Thatcher who always polled Scottish more votes than Alex Salmond).

Guest TPAFKATS

You do. 63.35m is the population of the UK. 650 MP's. That's an average of 1 MP to every 97,000 people.

Scotlands population is 5.295m, represented by 59 MP's. Thats an average of 1 MP to every 89,000 people.

I don't know why you think that land mass would be important. All you would be doing is giving some of the rich estate owners in Scotland an MP's to represent their own interests. That's hardly a decent version of democracy.

650 MP's only 59 are Scottish. It's ok though as the city of Westminster still has it undemocratic regulator MP.

I assume you refer to Scotland as not being your country on purpose?

Guest TPAFKATS

Oh dear. Yet another SNP lie torn asunder. Well I'm assuming it's a lie and not just the fact that Alex Neil, Alex Salmond, Nicola Sturgeon and John Swinney have no idea what they are talking about.

Is there any credibility left in any of their rhetoric? No wonder the Yes Campaign is taking a hammering. The way this is going I might buy the popcorn in and have a right good laugh at Alex Salmond in the next debate. It usually makes for shit TV but I suspect this time round we'll be witnessing the demise of one of the most hated politicians Scotland has ever seen - (basing my assumption on Salmonds comments on Margaret Thatcher who always polled Scottish more votes than Alex Salmond).

What was the point of your link, or rather how was anything 'torn asunder'.

Work was long, but good.

I got into The Bull by 7.30ish for three pints. And a quiet read of a book.

Also a kind of ritual. :)

Most of the rich estate owners of Scotland, don't live there as they're foreigners.

Surely, as I'm not allowed to vote, they cannae either?

Or is Eck counting them in for it?

Also... I think you're deliberately missing the point I made....

Which is...

... the current proportional representation of Scots in the Uk parliament is bigger than any Potential representation of Scots in a European Parliament.

You would be voting fora much poorer representation... And trusting these Scots that you may elect to Europe to be a breed of politician that has never before been seen in Scottish politics.