The Referendum Thread

Lanarkshire_Bud

Scottish Independence Referendum  

286 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

As someone who currently lives in England, but will become a Scottish resident by January at the latest, I sincerely hope that Scotland is an independent nation by the time I settle down there with my wife. I would be proud to live in an independent Scotland and I think it would be a fresh start for the nation.

Largely because north east England is ignored by all forms of politics in the country. Most of our politicians don't even know the town where I live is...most apparently thought it WAS IN SCOTLAND during a recent poll. David Cameron saw no problem in a radio interview a few weeks back when he kept getting the Tees Valley and the Tyneside areas mixed up...it beggars belief. It's like the north east is just bolted onto merry old southern England and is the simple cousin who just does as he is told and keeps quiet as long as he gets alcohol and fags.

I'll be sad to leave Northumberland as it is my area, but a lot of people there are deluded into thinking they are contributing anything politically to the rest of the nation or even being remotely taken notice of.

That's why I'd vote YES.

Anything south of Manchester doesn't give two craps about the rest of the UK. At all.

post-8992-0-88394300-1408141035_thumb.jppost-8992-0-69730500-1408141072.jpegpost-8992-0-07508300-1408141107.gifpost-8992-0-67218500-1408141136.jpg Oh Yesssssssssssssssssss !

The Natsi s are throwing everything at it, yet Scotland isn't interested. The latest polling report makes interesting reading. Even with You Gov making changes to add in 16 year olds and to add greater weighting to those born in Scotland the answer is still solidly No. http://ukpollingreport.co.uk/blog/archives/category/scotland

No-one on the Better Together side is arguing that Scotland can't use the pound post independence, just that there will be no currency union. That would be disastrous for Scotland

I would have been happier if Northumberland and Cumbria had supported the Scottish YES vote and tagged along for independence...

At least then they would have been treated with a modicum of dignity.

I have said to many of my Aussie mates ( who can't tell the difference between the far northern English and Scottish accents ) that we are much more closely aligned than the Southerners :)

I have said to many of my Aussie mates ( who can't tell the difference between the far northern English and Scottish accents ) that we are much more closely aligned than the Southerners :)

We're far more closely aligned to everyone else in the UK than we are the Germans or the French. Yet Natsis would split our political union to lift their kilt and allow the EU unfettered rear access. Edited by Stuart Dickson

We're far more closely aligned to everyone else in the UK than we are the Germans or the French. Yet Natsis would split our political union to lift their kilt and allow the EU unfettered rear access.

We in the most part came from Celts while south of the border mostly came from Saxon - German as do the royal family.

Picts, Celts and Britons inhabited this Isle long before the Angles, Saxons and Jutes rocked up.

They were pushed back to the coasts and the highlands of the nation...which is why Cornish are in a corner of the land, the Scots are scattered across the higher reaches and the Welsh are shoved into a principality. The Angles, Saxons, Jutes and Vikings ravaged most of the central lands and settled in Wessex, Kent, Yorkshire, Lincolnshire and Sussex.

At least in Northumbria we have retained some of our Celtic heritage - alongside the notable Viking influences.

I see that Aegon are the latest large financial services company in Scotland to come out against Scottish independence.

As Standard Life have already pointed out, 95% of customers are based in England. To think that these customers would continue to invest their money in a foreign country is unbelievable.

Companies such as Standard Life & Aegon are currently attempting a step change in business volumes through pensions auto enrolement. Indepdence would kill these plans stone dead.

These companies will have to relocate to England.

And any talk of Standard Life's position prior to devolution is irrelevant. Standard Life is now a plc and has undergone massive change. They now hive out large parts of their IT work to India while other Scottish financial services companies hive out their back office work abroad as well.

They will have no hesitation in moving the head offices to England.

This will be a disaster for the Scottish economy.

Vote NO!

I see that Aegon are the latest large financial services company in Scotland to come out against Scottish independence.

As Standard Life have already pointed out, 95% of customers are based in England. To think that these customers would continue to invest their money in a foreign country is unbelievable.

Companies such as Standard Life & Aegon are currently attempting a step change in business volumes through pensions auto enrolement. Indepdence would kill these plans stone dead.

And any talk of Standard Life's position prior to devolution is irrelevant. Standard Life is now a plc and has undergone massive change. They now hive out large parts of their IT work to India while other Scottish financial services companies hive out their back office work abroad as well.

Vote NO!

However...

I am told by informed sources that unless a formal monetary, regulatory and currency union were agreed by an independent Scotland with the rest of the UK, which also included some kind of compact on taxes, Standard Life would feel obliged to move both funds and people to England.

(BBC News)

New oil field east of shetland set to start production and expected to produce up to 300 million barrels possibly until 2050

http://www.energyvoice.com/2014/08/video-north-sea-resource-produce-700million-barrels/

Remember Darling tells us its too volatile and is running out...

and the news that the Clare field west of Shetland is about double the expected size will be coming out soon, but will it be before 18/9?

However...

I am told by informed sources that unless a formal monetary, regulatory and currency union were agreed by an independent Scotland with the rest of the UK, which also included some kind of compact on taxes, Standard Life would feel obliged to move both funds and people to England.

(BBC News)

Yeh that is right , I remember Siddelly mentioning that , a wee while back . .

Vote NO!

So what you are saying is that out of fear we should allow big business to tell us what to do and control how we do it?

Blimey! Good luck in that dark and dingy world.

Vote NO!

No they didn't as for the rest......

Here's what they've actually said

http://www.aegon.co.uk/Scottish-Independence/index.htm

and also this

FFS Like I said before - is there ANYONE on the BT side who isn't a lying fear mongering twat who will say any old shite to scare people into voting No?

We're far more closely aligned to everyone else in the UK than we are the Germans or the French. Yet Natsis would split our political union to lift their kilt and allow the EU unfettered rear access.

Are you serious? Do you have any Idea at all about the history of the British Isles? I expected more from you Stuart.

Vote NO!

I don't believe that you're that niaive, so I'm drawn to the conclusion that you are blinded by your own beliefs in the same way that religions are

Edited by BaldyOzBud

Are you serious? Do you have any Idea at all about the history of the British Isles? I expected more from you Stuart.

Of course I'm serious.

We share a common language, a parliament, a monarch, a currency, and a Commonwealth. We ran an Empire together, one of the most successful the world has ever seen. Weve celebrated our athletes winning together sometimes even in the same ms and we share a strong common interest in football - something witnessed every weekend by the Scottish viewing figures of premiership match. The UK is our biggest export market by a f**king huge margin, and we share companies who trade easily and comfortably across all four parts of the UK. We share military conquests, united to keep Europe free of despots and as a result we are still to this day regarded as one of the worlds great powers and one of the greatest protectors of democracy.

Only a right buckled Nationalist would argue weve got more in common with Fascist Dictatorships like the ones seen in Germany, Italy and Spain or the Communist dictatorships that ruled Yugoslavia, Hungary, Romania, Poland, Ukraine, Estonia, Belarussia, Lithuania, Latvia, etc.

A strong common interest in football, and a now defunct Empire, is hardly a basis for a political union, and the fascist dictatorships that you speak of are long gone in most of Europe, fear of independence is what seems to drive most of the BT campaign, and a strong ( financially and politically ) independent Scotland is a better option, in my opinion, than being the largely ignored and constantly marginalised northern sector of the Union, which has been ruled for too long by political parties which are in a vast minority in Scotland.

A strong common interest in football, and a now defunct Empire, is hardly a basis for a political union, and the fascist dictatorships that you speak of are long gone in most of Europe, fear of independence is what seems to drive most of the BT campaign, and a strong ( financially and politically ) independent Scotland is a better option, in my opinion, than being the largely ignored and constantly marginalised northern sector of the Union, which has been ruled for too long by political parties which are in a vast minority in Scotland.

We were talking about history - however if you want to talk about current affairs the fact that the UK is our major export market by a f**king huge margin is probably as good a reason as any to focus on the political union we are currently in. Especially since Europe appears to be heading back into recession while the UK has strong growth and a very good economic outlook.

If we were ever talking about a properly independent Scotland then I'd agree with the rest of your points, but the "independence" on offer see's us tied to a currency we can't control, in a political union where we'll be dictated to on all matters whether you want to talk about fishing quota's, our taxation policy, or law, and we're talking about joining NATO where we'll be dragged into exactly the kind of wars that nationalists claim would be a thing of the past post "independence". Our "independence" would be nothing like Norway - the country Salmond likes to claim we'd be like. They've got control of their own currency, their own monarchy and they listened when their population told them they didn't want to be members of the EU.

You talk about "scaremongering" but you totally miss the point. We know what we have now - both good and bad - to be sold on a leap of faith more people have to be convinced that it won't have a detrimental effect on our living standards. Take a look at the White Paper, or anything the Yes Campaign has produced and tell me - apart from their scaremongering about the "austerity" that has never happened and the privatisation of the NHS that is completely devolved - what have they produced that is concrete proof we'll all be better off.