The Referendum Thread

Lanarkshire_Bud

Scottish Independence Referendum  

286 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

The fact that the minute Scottish politicians get a sniff of income tax varying powers they immediately look to raise taxes says all we need to know about the Scottish parliament.

I'll be watching with interest today to see whether it would be better for me to relocate to Carlisle. I'd imagine there will be many others in the same boat

There has been tax varying powers since the parliament opened and neither Labour nor The SNP have chosen to use those powers. As usual you are wrong

As suspected.

No substantial powers.

70% of taxes set at Westminster and 85% of social security controlled there too.

The phrase "we told you so" springs to mind.

All good and well , really . .

I never expected to get what they said we would get anyway as they have a history of lies . .

They won't live it down this time as we have some say now and even more so after the election next year. .

This will help our cause and surely , everyone will see the BT/Unionist/imperliast/British establishment lot for exactly what they are. .

f**k'em

Still waiting on the devo max, home rule, extensive powers being delivered. Mibees I should check my blue bin, just in case they were left there while I was oot?

Naw , George "mad as a bag o' cats" Galloway , said we were getting Super Devo Max. . lol.gif

Edited by saintnextlifetime

So... Are you agreeing that Eck's madness was always just that?

A stupidly, wasteful, impractical vanity project?

What did you want, if you don't want control of your own economy? Just MORE subsidy? :whistle:

SOME subsidy would be nice.....

You live in London, what's it like to be subsidised?

I give in.

I don't know.

As I live in London I don't need tae know.

Do yourself a favour and make yourself a bit more aware of the real economic circumstances instead of living in denial. Or London as some call it......

Here's a starter for you:

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2014/feb/10/public-money-private-wealth-london-north-v-south

Was good to see wee Eck getting rag dolled by Andrew Neil on This Week last night. He's one of the few journalists who isn't intimidated by him. Nowhere in the vow is devo max mentioned. Andrew - a good Paisley man - pointed this out to Salmond repeatedly. Salmond had no answer.

As for the England hanky, that's funny. Imagine if Cameron used a Scottish flag as a hanky though... Imagine the hand wringing mewling out rage... :lol:

Do yourself a favour and make yourself a bit more aware of the real economic circumstances instead of living in denial. Or London as some call it......

Here's a starter for you:http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2014/feb/10/public-money-private-wealth-london-north-v-south

I thought I'd been wasting my time on here, but it turns out that despite Nationalists being slow they are not totally uneducable.

However you use the wrong word 'subsidy' to describe the Capitalist draw of London. Capitalism.

It's the Capitalist distortion of the economy that distorts the UK and impacts on all regions, not just insular, inward-looking Scotland... as I pointed out 495 pages ago (and often again, afterwards) on this very thread.

That remains the big elephant in the room that no Nationalist or Separatist offers any attempt at dealing with... and so ensures that the majority of comfortable people will not jump into the abyss.

This was made manifest in the voting patterns of the referendum. Poor people with little to lose (glasgow, dundee) vote Yes: comfy folk won't. (Inverness, Edinburgh, Orkney, Shetland, Perthshire.... I could go on....)

(I am recalling that split unsure whether I am accurate or not but confident enough to believe it to be the case).

It's NOT subsidy, Buddie. It's Capitalism. Money and scale will always win out.

Edited by bluto

Only so that 65% can tell the Nationalists to f**k off all over again rolleyes.gif

Its only the start of the show Stuart.The referendum awoke our sleepy nation and now the momentum is growing to what will lead to the shackles of Westminster being broken once and for all.Oh for a country free from greedy politicians/war/paedos etc.

Its only the start of the show Stuart.The referendum awoke our sleepy nation and now the momentum is growing to what will lead to the shackles of Westminster being broken once and for all.Oh for a country free from greedy politicians/war/paedos etc.

It certainly woke the 55% who were sleepwalking into separatism. They won't be so lethargic next time.

The 'shackles of Wesminster' may be broken, but I'm sure you're aware that real power doesn't necessarily reside in any specific democratic institution wherever it may be?

Greedy politicians are found everywhere money is to be made in a system. Everywhere includes war and paedophilia - but it doesn't exclude a nation being ruled from Edinburgh.

I thought I'd been wasting my time on here, but it turns out that despite Nationalists being slow they are not totally uneducable.

However you use the wrong word 'subsidy' to describe the Capitalist draw of London. Capitalism.

It's the Capitalist distortion of the economy that distorts the UK and impacts on all regions, not just insular, inward-looking Scotland... as I pointed out 495 pages ago (and often again, afterwards) on this very thread.

That remains the big elephant in the room that no Nationalist or Separatist offers any attempt at dealing with... and so ensures that the majority of comfortable people will not jump into the abyss.

This was made manifest in the voting patterns of the referendum. Poor people with little to lose (glasgow, dundee) vote Yes: comfy folk won't. (Inverness, Edinburgh, Orkney, Shetland, Perthshire.... I could go on....)

(I am recalling that split unsure whether I am accurate or not but confident enough to believe it to be the case).

It's NOT subsidy, Buddie. It's Capitalism. Money and scale will always win out.

And I, along with all the other Yessers (not necessarily Nationalists btw) know that just fine. Through historical good fortune, though, we have the means to do something about it and change that system. Unfortunately, the majority voted No.

This time.

And if it's only poor people with nothing to lose who voted for change, explain the well educated, well-off, "comfy folk" on here who also voted for change. And I include myself in that group. Surely not a principled choice?

What's the price of oil got to do with anything.

Exactly.

Only once in 30 years have we run a deficit and yet oil has been up and down like a Belfast womans knickers.

Scientists would conclude that under those circumstances, the wealth of the country is demonstrably invariant to the price of oil but what do we know eh?

No voters have to hang onto something though.

Edited by oaksoft