The Cricket Thread

shull

On my four days off now so I'll be able to follow the rest of the Test.

Close of Play Day 2 - England 389, NZ 303/2 (77overs)

New ball due in three overs, 11am Lord's we're still in May so there might be a bit of moisture left in the ground - vital first hour, if NZ can reach England's total for the loss of only a couple more wickets they should go on to bat England out of the game. England's current bowling attack look a bit past it and the question again is whether they can do it when conditions don't favour them (although as I say they should this morning). Having said that they did well taking the new ball against the Windies in the second Test in St George's but NZ are a better team.

Come on the Black Caps!

Just after Tea on Day 3 and NZ 511/8 a lead of 122 runs - should see England in before play closes.

Just thinking how test cricket has changed since I started watching many years ago - here's the Scorecard from England vs NZ at Lord's in 1986 - where the teams scored at around 2.5 runs per over instead of the close to 4 in the current test.

http://www.espncricinfo.com/ci/engine/current/match/63435.html

Edited by Bud the Baker

The question is does Cook have the balls to declare early enough to try and win the Test, or does he follow the usual path of attempting to bat until there is no chance of a result?

I'm guessing the latter.

I'm sure you're right choosing the latter. It's been an interesting test match and you've got to give England credit for coming back twice from hopeless looking situations. I've enjoyed it.

I'm sure you're right choosing the latter. It's been an interesting test match and you've got to give England credit for coming back twice from hopeless looking situations. I've enjoyed it.

Yes I certainly give them credit for a gutsy fightback, and now they have their tails up and the Kiwi's are looking a wee bit fragile.

If only cricket was always like this, swinging both ways. Something like that anyway. It was a good match and credit to both teams. England just might be on the way back. Moeen Ali is an interesting character. Left-handed bat and right arm bowler. Hope he does well. I know he can't help it but I can't go those bloody beards. Can they not have them shorter and neater? I wonder if deep inside he was gagging for a pint after the game last night.

The question is does Cook have the balls to declare early enough to try and win the Test, or does he follow the usual path of attempting to bat until there is no chance of a result?

I'm guessing the latter.

Things fell out well for England, quick runs on Monday morning setting an improbable target for NZ followed by a great start with the new ball - shows why Test cricket will always be the ultimate form of the game!

A great team display that'll keep he who must not be named out of the headlines for the present.

Meanwhile the real story is whether Shiv Chanderpaul should be given the two match series against Australia to overhaul Brian Lara's run record for West Indies.

Things fell out well for England, quick runs on Monday morning setting an improbable target for NZ followed by a great start with the new ball - shows why Test cricket will always be the ultimate form of the game!

A great team display that'll keep he who must not be named out of the headlines for the present.

Meanwhile the real story is whether Shiv Chanderpaul should be given the two match series against Australia to overhaul Brian Lara's run record for West Indies.

Would love to see Chanderpaul given that opportunity Bud.

And on a cheerier note, that's Bell gone, and this test match is looking like it could be another great game of Test Cricket, which is, as you quite rightly point out, the ultimate form of the game.

Would love to see Chanderpaul given that opportunity Bud.

And on a cheerier note, that's Bell gone, and this test match is looking like it could be another great game of Test Cricket, which is, as you quite rightly point out, the ultimate form of the game.

Pretty hairy conditions for cricket.

Windy, cold and rain in the air.

The MCC's tailenders hitting the ball about a bit.

If they get another 40 or so, the game will be on a knife edge.

If they get another 40 or so, the game will be on a knife edge.

And they did.

Game all square.

Should be an excellent afternoon of cricket.

Hopefully Anderson and Broad can take a couple of wickets in the 15 minutes or so before lunch.

And they did.

Game all square.

Should be an excellent afternoon of cricket.

Hopefully Anderson and Broad can take a couple of wickets in the 15 minutes or so before lunch.

And yet another good start by the English bowlers, but McCullum and Watling steadying the Kiwi innings and building a decent lead, although once these two are gone I expect England to wrap the tail up without too much fuss.

And yet another good start by the English bowlers, but McCullum and Watling steadying the Kiwi innings and building a decent lead, although once these two are gone I expect England to wrap the tail up without too much fuss.

I wouldn't be so sure.

England have the 2nd worst record out of all the test teams in removing the tail.

I wouldn't be so sure.

England have the 2nd worst record out of all the test teams in removing the tail.

And it looks like you're right again mate, a lead of 338 with 4 wickets in hand, it looks like the Kiwis are in the box seat.

Englands highest ever 4th innings total to win a test at Headingly was 315, it's going to be an interesting final day.

And it looks like you're right again mate, a lead of 338 with 4 wickets in hand, it looks like the Kiwis are in the box seat.

Englands highest ever 4th innings total to win a test at Headingly was 315, it's going to be an interesting final day.

Certainly looks like advantage to New Zealand. Unless England get them out relatively quickly this match is slipping away. Hope the weather doesn't interfere because it has been a competitive two matches with good cricket from both sides.

NZ declare @ 454/8 having scored 116 runs in 16 overs this morning.

England to face 4/5 overs before lunch - aggressive play by NZ which deserves applause! clap.gif

PS where are those halycyon batsmen of yesteryear Boycott & Tavare vs Wright & Edgar - anyone for nostalgia?

Yeah, you could doze off for an hour or so and not miss a thing, love Boycott as a pundit though, he pulls no punches clap.gif