The Cricket Thread

shull

• 8 months later...

England presently 132/7 in the 18th over.

Finished 155/9.

I would think they'd have needed around 180 to have chance of winning.They'll have to produce their finest bowling and fielding to have any chance of winning. ⚾

• 1 month later...

Two Test matches in May on seaming grounds against a team from the sub-continent - free money. The only thing that was ever gonna save Sri Lanka was the weather.

England vs Pakistan later in the summer with Tests at Old Trafford, Edgbaston and The Oval has a chance of being competitive.

Um, I suppose the most noteworthy moment of the Test was Alastair Cook reaching 10,000 Test runs, I'm gonna be churlish and say he's not one of the greats but I suppose he's got the chance to go on (and on and on) and redefine the term - he seems to have the grit to do and with the changing nature of the game there may not be many who stick around for 150 Tests in the years to come so the questions are how long he can remain motivated and how high up the list he can move.

Edited by Bud the Baker

When you look at the top five now in terms of youngest to 10,000 runs, the other four are all clearly better than Cook. The only thing I would say about that is that Cook scored virtually all his runs as an opener. There is always that little bit of extra pressure on openers to get off to a good start and build a good foundation. When guys like Tendulkar, Kallis, Ponting and Jayawardene got to the wicket when there were 150 plus runs on the board, it was money for old rope with their skills.

Two Test matches in May on seaming grounds against a team from the sub-continent - free money. The only thing that was ever gonna save Sri Lanka was the weather.

England vs Pakistan later in the summer with Tests at Old Trafford, Edgbaston and The Oval has a chance of being competitive.

Close of play Day 2

England 416: Sri Lanka 162/1 (49.0 ov)

Sri Lanka trail by 254 runs with 9 wickets remaining in the 1st innings

Far more competitive Third Test on a good Lord's pitch.

Sri Lanka - 218 for 6 at lunch.

Really tight bowling performance from the MCC on a flat pitch this morning, with a new ball beckoning.

Sri Lanka start Day 3 with a bit of a batting collapse - currently 205/5

Famous last words............

For 6 now.thumbup2.gif

Edited by FTOF