Is 4-4-2

I'm afraid that I now agree... I like DL but he's had a fair bash at it and now but we canny progress with him. I'd change things now to try aviod 11th and whilst windows open

A think change the formation and get a couple of players in as everyone round about us is signing players to try and keep them out the playoffs

I'd be much happier seeing more of a 2 up front formation instead of 1 and 1 playing off him.

Not so sit of the flat 4-4-2 though. Maybe 4-1-3-2 or - diamond 4-1-2-1-2. Suppose it all depends in the personnel the gaffer has.

The return of Teale could see more of a 4-4-2 formation.

Edited by davidg

I think we'd both create more and look more solid at the back with 3 creative midfielders (McGowan, McGinn & Teale/McLean/Campbell/A new signing), one out-and-out defensive midfielder (currently Goodwin, but I'd prefer someone better - who's more composed, more likely to play an easy pass & less rash in his decisions) & one box-to-box midfielder (Newton/A new signing). That would give us more balance than what we're currently playing (which seems to be a 4-4-1-1).

McGowan (one of our best players when on form & in a line-up surrounded by players that suit him & his style) plays best when he has a couple of players behind him to protect us from getting hit on the counter. He doesn't really need to defend too much in this position and can push right up to support Thompson. The two behind him should make us a bit more solid too. Alternatively, I think McLean could replace him - IMO Kenny's best spell last season was when McGowan was injured and he was allowed to play further forward to run at people and shoot.

I understand with Teale out we're short on the right hand side, but I think it's pretty clear that Newton is best suited in the middle. I think it'd make us a bit more solid & allow Newton to play in a position all his best performances have been in.

Finally, I'd like to see a more experienced centre-half alongside either McGregor or McAusland to cover their silly mistakes (I don't think they're as bad as some people make out, but both are prone to daft errors).

please tell me we didn't play a straight 442 or a variant with Campbell just off Thommo today?

That is suicidal in modern football more often than not.

I know I'm like a broken record... but we should be aiming to get a system that can take advantage of our strengths and help us create chances... whilst not perfect with the current personell, we should be looking to persevere with a 4231for a while.

Before anyone bemoans the lone striker... the two holding midfielders allow the three attacking midfielders to interchange and express themselves freely... can you imagine McGinn, McGowan and Campbell, for example, being given a licence to thrill?

Also, with defensive midfield cover, we can mix it up by having the full backs bomb forward at will.

Two defensive midfielders would actually make us a much more potent and attacking force.

Did Danny really go 442 again today?

Playing 4-4-2 this season, we have taken one point from 10 games. Playing another formation, usually 4-2-3-1 or 4-4-1-1, we have taken 19 points from 11 games. Yet still DL persists with 4-4-2. Says it all really, if I kept making the same mistake at work I'd eventually get sacked.

Playing 4-4-2 this season, we have taken one point from 10 games. Playing another formation, usually 4-2-3-1 or 4-4-1-1, we have taken 19 points from 11 games. Yet still DL persists with 4-4-2. Says it all really, if I kept making the same mistake at work I'd eventually get sacked.

other than the cup final and semi-final... when have we played a 4-2-3-1?

I genuinely can't recall us playing it even once this season!

4-1-4-1 has been our norm... 4-1-3-1-1 when feeling adventurous... 4-4-2 when feeling suicidal or a 4-4-1-1 when Danny can't quite make up his mind!

I'd be much happier seeing more of a 2 up front formation instead of 1 and 1 playing off him.

Not so sit of the flat 4-4-2 though. Maybe 4-1-3-2 or - diamond 4-1-2-1-2. Suppose it all depends in the personnel the gaffer has.

The return of Teale could see more of a 4-4-2 formation.

The diamond was the way to go for me today, play gowser behind the front 2, his preferred role, play newton narrow on right, he always comes into the middle anyway, Goodwin in his position and grainger whipping balls in from the left, did we get this nope not even bloody close, 1 up front and Campbell floating about, gowser and newton out of position for the umpteenth time this year,

When we were on our good run, mclean tended to play deeper closer to goodwin, with McGowan further forward, in my view making it more of a 4-2-3-1. Regardless of formation, the key is where we play McGowan. If he is in a deeper role we are mince, if he is more advanced we are better, yet DL keeps on playing him in a deep role, because his team selection is decided partly by alan fecking pardew.

The diamond was the way to go for me today, play gowser behind the front 2, his preferred role, play newton narrow on right, he always comes into the middle anyway, Goodwin in his position and grainger whipping balls in from the left, did we get this nope not even bloody close, 1 up front and Campbell floating about, gowser and newton out of position for the umpteenth time this year,

Diamond doesn't work in modern football, where teams line up with 5 in midfield.

We are never going to play 2 strikers and an attacking midfielder away from home, not even Celtic do that.

And the Wiberness ironic post of the week award goes to .................

A joint award between you and JJ.

The pair of you can't get through a single day without one of you posting something anti-Danny or anti-Longmuir.

This has been going on for months now so I think I'm entitled to ask you to change the record.

Just a single week without bitching about something related to Danny would be a nice start.

Edited by oaksoft

I just f*cking love this Thread,

I could greet reading this kind of mince. If players don't get off their arses and work, even use some good old fashioned common sense, all the variations in formation under the sun won't make a blind bit of difference. Some formation is of course vital and we don't expect to see a cavalry charge up the park but are we going to have a day where a midfilder wanders upfield a bit and accidentally changes 442 to 433? Oh, f**k, I've gone and joined in! Anyway, shoot that player or at least drop him.

PS I wouldn't mind seeing that cavalry charge.

I prefer some sort of partnership up top, but you need width alongside that and a midfield/defence that can work front to back. People go on about 5 in midfield, but surely you can still play 4 against that as invariably it means 4 marking 1 and 1 up against 4. It just needs the supporting striker to work back a bit and a centre back to be prepared to step up with a full back filling across if need be.

OK Billy, who do YOU want to replace Danny?

What about you JJ?

A manager that can do the basics would do, tactics, organisation, motivation, Danny can't do any of them. Last season was the same but we had the cup win to paper over the cracks for a wee while longer.

A joint award between you and JJ.

The pair of you can't get through a single day without one of you posting something anti-Danny or anti-Longmuir.

This has been going on for months now so I think I'm entitled to ask you to change the record.

Just a single week without bitching about something related to Danny would be a nice start.

And not a single day goes by without you happy clapping your support for Lennon & Longmuir!

The problem that you have is that you don't like anyone having an opinion that is different to yours and when you encounter an opinion that is different to yours you generally end up losing the plot and posting personal abuse!