Signed.... Then Released... Why?

I know the usual knickerwetters will be piling in to say 'I told you so' when they didn't!

However what do we make of the spate of summer signings that left us way before seeing in the strawberry season..?

For me Cornell was a no-brainer, decent keeper, we needed cover, we were lucky to pick up kello, so away hame son.

Harkins is the elephant in the room. Danny is oft quoted saying "I won't sign just anyone". But I think thats exactly what he did with Harkins, everyone hoped (lile a certain D Imrie) that he could be as effective for us as he had been against us. But it was obvious you got what you saw with Harkins, a thinker, plodder, turn a game on its head, then feck aw for four games. In short he can't hold the position and performance he thinks he can in that role in the Spl.

Charlie Adam is cut from the same cloth to an extent although he occasionally runs and stops people. excellent in the Spl... found wanting among the elite at Liverpool. Harkins would be great in the championship (SPFL)... thats where he's at.

Grainger, seemed a lot more damaged physically as well as mentally than anyone thought. took a long time to get back to fitness and performance levels by which time our youngsters and the arrival of Wylde have left him redundant.

Sorry to see him go, but afore the knickerwetters jump in think on? you were screaming for an experienced full back to be signed in the summer, and you would have savaged DL if he'd gone into the season with just the boys.

Caprice, for a relative youngster who allegedly had it! he was woefully short on confidence and struggled to take on responsibility. tried him, didnae work out, back doon the road son.

Debate.

I know the usual knickerwetters will be piling in to say 'I told you so' when they didn't!

However what do we make of the spate of summer signings that left us way before seeing in the strawberry season..?

For me Cornell was a no-brainer, decent keeper, we needed cover, we were lucky to pick up kello, so away hame son.

Harkins is the elephant in the room. Danny is oft quoted saying "I won't sign just anyone". But I think thats exactly what he did with Harkins, everyone hoped (lile a certain D Imrie) that he could be as effective for us as he had been against us. But it was obvious you got what you saw with Harkins, a thinker, plodder, turn a game on its head, then feck aw for four games. In short he can't hold the position and performance he thinks he can in that role in the Spl.

Charlie Adam is cut from the same cloth to an extent although he occasionally runs and stops people. excellent in the Spl... found wanting among the elite at Liverpool. Harkins would be great in the championship (SPFL)... thats where he's at.

Grainger, seemed a lot more damaged physically as well as mentally than anyone thought. took a long time to get back to fitness and performance levels by which time our youngsters and the arrival of Wylde have left him redundant.

Sorry to see him go, but afore the knickerwetters jump in think on? you were screaming for an experienced full back to be signed in the summer, and you would have savaged DL if he'd gone into the season with just the boys.

Caprice, for a relative youngster who allegedly had it! he was woefully short on confidence and struggled to take on responsibility. tried him, didnae work out, back doon the road son.

Debate.

I don't see a debate.You,ve put the case very well.I don't think we would allow Grainger to go if we did not have someone lined up.Watch this space.

To an extent it's part of football - from our present squad Teale & Wylde had their contracts terminated before they joined us but yeah we've cut a lot of players since last summer. We're paying the price now, stuggling to fill the bench with the squad down to the bear bones.

It's all about results however and I suspect Lennon is depending on results between now and the end of the season to earn a new contract. Let's hope he's successful and that he learns from his mistakes - the alternative doesn't bare thinking about.

Players can be good on paper, but then once you get them through the door you seen their work ethic, attitude, and how they fit within the team a lot better. Sometimes it doesnt work out and you move them on. Thats exactly what hes did.

Regarding grainger, hes good cover for left back and left mid at a push, can't see him getting released unless we find someone better.

I don't see a debate.You,ve put the case very well.I don't think we would allow Grainger to go if we did not have someone lined up.Watch this space.

I wrongly thought the same when he released Harkins and Mair.

Danny's had numerous terrible windows in his time here, summer 2013 was the worst of the lot.

Only one player out of 7 hasn't failed, and he's our sub keeper.

No one expects 100 percent success rate for signing. In the same breath, we should absolutely expect a success rate of above 20 percent. This management team can't even deliver that.

I wrongly thought the same when he released Harkins and Mair.

Danny's had numerous terrible windows in his time here, summer 2013 was the worst of the lot.

Only one player out of 7 hasn't failed, and he's our sub keeper.

No one expects 100 percent success rate for signing. In the same breath, we should absolutely expect a success rate of above 20 percent. This management team can't even deliver that.

Did we sign 7 in the summer?

maybes you are including Kello who's been a mainstay??? but that would make it two out of 7 sucesses. and if Bahoken kicks on then it's three out of 7... and then there's young Campbell so we could be looking at four out of 7... oh and Wylde too.... 5 out of 7..?

You know i'd take that if we had the cha.... och jings what am i thinking we did sign them!

Did we sign 7 in the summer?

maybes you are including Kello who's been a mainstay??? but that would make it two out of 7 sucesses. and if Bahoken kicks on then it's three out of 7... and then there's young Campbell so we could be looking at four out of 7... oh and Wylde too.... 5 out of 7..?

You know i'd take that if we had the cha.... och jings what am i thinking we did sign them!

Bahoken

Dillon

Harkins

Cornell

Caprice

Grainger

Dilo

There's 7 summer signings, 4 have already left and he's tried to get 2 more out.

To an extent it's part of football - from our present squad Teale & Wylde had their contracts terminated before they joined us but yeah we've cut a lot of players since last summer. We're paying the price now, stuggling to fill the bench with the squad down to the bear bones.

It's all about results however and I suspect Lennon is depending on results between now and the end of the season to earn a new contract. Let's hope he's successful and that he learns from his mistakes - the alternative doesn't bare thinking about.

Bear, bare...?

Have we signed Roy Aitken again?

No argument there. But wouldn't it have made a bit more sense to release DVZ who's off the SPL pace now, and keep Grainger till the summer now he's up to speed..?

I don't think there's any sense in releasing anyone at the moment we can hardly fill the bench a few injuries and we could be in a bit of trouble. It's too late in the window to get replacements. We've released enough players IMO.

All these guys let go because they are surplus to requirements or not good enough to command the wage they are on.

Danny must have faith that the youngsters we have at the club can do as well as or better than the guys that have been released and when you look at McLean, McGinn, Naismith and Kelly who have all had a positive impact on the team maybe he is correct.

The only one that has not seemlessly made the jump is Thomas Reilly who 16 months ago scored for the first team before his career was hampered by a horrible injury that may be the thing that has set him back. I've not been to see the U20's a great deal but when I have seen them I have been very impressed and think the more of them we can get into the first team the better especially when you see how well they know each others games etc, example wee McGinn pickingout Naismith v Dundee Utd to score.

All these guys let go because they are surplus to requirements or not good enough to command the wage they are on.

Danny must have faith that the youngsters we have at the club can do as well as or better than the guys that have been released and when you look at McLean, McGinn, Naismith and Kelly who have all had a positive impact on the team maybe he is correct.

The only one that has not seemlessly made the jump is Thomas Reilly who 16 months ago scored for the first team before his career was hampered by a horrible injury that may be the thing that has set him back. I've not been to see the U20's a great deal but when I have seen them I have been very impressed and think the more of them we can get into the first team the better especially when you see how well they know each others games etc, example wee McGinn pickingout Naismith v Dundee Utd to score.

Has Yaqub recovered from injury?

Edited by Drew

Bahoken

Dillon

Harkins

Cornell

Caprice

Grainger

Dilo

There's 7 summer signings, 4 have already left and he's tried to get 2 more out.

Bahoken hasn't failed (as yet)

Cornell didn't fail

Grainger we should be celebrating is being kept out by products of our academy

As was Harkins although i'll defo give you that

Dillon was only 19 and again wasn't better than our academy boys, or good enough to make danny not re-sign newton

Dilo has been a good find and fine stand in

Caprice, yeah i'll give you him too.

What would your reaction have been if Danny hadn't strengthened the squad with these guys who were available, when we let so many go?

Our reality is we have to take punts with freebies and loans. Some work, some don't and yes DL could do better (and has hopefully learned i.e. Harkins).... but also a lot worse.

Cornell didn't fail

Dillon was only 19 and again wasn't better than our academy boys, or good enough to make danny not re-sign newton

What would your reaction have been if Danny hadn't strengthened the squad with these guys who were available, when we let so many go?

Our reality is we have to take punts with freebies and loans. Some work, some don't and yes DL could do better (and has hopefully learned i.e. Harkins).... but also a lot worse.

Bahoken hasn't failed yet, are you serious? Harkins played more games and scored more goals.

Cornell didn't fail

A keeper brought in on a season long loan to be our number 1, who then loses his place in September, never plays again and gets sent back in January isn't a failure? He's more of a failure than Harkins.

Dillon is older than Campbell. If you're going to have Adam success you need to have Kealan as a failure.

Grainger isn't only been kept out the first 11 by Kelly, he's already been told he can leave if he can find a new team because of how bad he's been.

Bahoken is only back here because Nice can't loan him out twice in a season.

Danny shouldn't have let guys like Carey and Parkin go in the summer. Given that he did he should have replaced them with players of a higher of similar standard to those players. He never and it directly resulted in our worst start to a season for nearly 100 years.

Thankfully he soon realised his mistakes and got all of his signings out the team, since then we have significantly improved.

A keeper brought in on a season long loan to be our number 1, who then loses his place in September, never plays again and gets sent back in January isn't a failure? He's more of a failure than Harkins.

Dillon is older than Campbell. If you're going to have Adam success you need to have Kealan as a failure.

Grainger isn't only been kept out the first 11 by Kelly, he's already been told he can leave if he can find a new team because of how bad he's been.

Danny shouldn't have let guys like Carey and Parkin go in the summer. Given that he did he should have replaced them with players of a higher of similar standard to those players. He never and it directly resulted in our worst start to a season for nearly 100 years.

Thankfully he soon realised his mistakes and got all of his signings out the team, since then we have significantly improved.

Ah Carey and Parkin are our saviours... pity no one told them that when they were here.

One an out and out striker amassed 3 goals the last of which was October 2012. the other got one last season (a cracker)....

There contracts were up and we could and did do better... Campbell, Wylde, Newton, etc..etc..

Campbell was signed for the first team, Dillon wasn't.

Ah Carey and Parkin are our saviours... pity no one told them that when they were here.

One an out and out striker amassed 3 goals the last of which was October 2012. the other got one last season (a cracker)....

There contracts were up and we could and did do better... Campbell, Wylde, Newton, etc..etc..

Wylde and Campbell were signed in the current transfer window to replace the players who we signed to replace the likes of Parkin and Carey in the summer. No matter how it is dressed up the summer transfer window has turned out to be a shambles. Hopefully another and possibly two good signings and we may be a bit stronger but as a squad this season's is weaker than last seasons.

Edited by WeeBud

How can you possibly suggest that Wylde is better than Carey? He has played twice for us so far, no?

Parkin was decent cover for Thompson, and a totally different type of player from Campbell. You are comparing apples and oranges with that one. It would have been more appropriate to refer to Bahoken in this context....aherm.