Relegation

...and it wouldn't get any easier in season 2015/16 either. Say we go down then The Rangers and Hearts go up - and I think both of them would outspend us to ensure they did - then that means either The Rangers or Hearts won the playoff. This means The Rangers and Hearts would be replaced in the Championship the following season with two SPFL clubs from, oh let's say Partick, Ross C, Killie, Dundee/Falkirk, even Hibs or St Johnstone could have a honking season... Then we're still down, without The Rangers and Hearts, but maybe with clubs lead by millionaires willing to go into debt to go up again.

All I can see is a five, seven, or goodness knows how long cycle of us being a mid-table Championship club, stuck in a two-up, two-down rut of clubs capable of beating us easily for the top two places due to millionaire owners going into debt to make sure their club goes back up, and the likes of us float around in fizzy pop semi-oblivion for donkeys years.

Once a club like St Mirren, Kilmarnock or St Johnstone become top flight established clubs, their infrastructure is geared to retaining that status and seeing other clubs like your Dundees. Dunfermlines. Particks and Falkirks etc be the ones going up and down.

In any league, there's a pack who can win it, a pack who vie for Europe, a pack who are stable most seasons, and a pack who battle relegation. We always manage to find ourselves floating into that relegation pack, but so far, by virtue of some admirable Custer's Last Stand wins (or a llama loving chain smoker's dream going tits-up), we've dodged the bullet.

Failure to dodge the bullet will see us impotent and unable to reload our own pistol for a good while. Doesn't bear thinking about. Sure our board feel the same, how unsellable (for what they want) would their currently seemingly unsellable shares be in fizzy pop land? Hell, they might just lose whatever fight they have left, and sell us to the first 'Leeds United type dodgy convicted-for-fraud Italian' that swans down Greenhill Road reeking of Aramis and wearing a shiny grey Ralph Slater suit.

Relegation. Just say no.

Aye, but aside from that, relegation would be fine, eh?

Fcuking awesome. New Douglas Park in a January midweek - bring it on.

I well remember our first game back in the 1st Division (in 1993?) after a good 15/16 years in the Premier League. Our team of stars swanning through to Stark's Park to start the fight back to where we belonged. After a 7-0 tanking, it was back to reality and a long, dismal stay in the 1st Division (and even that wasn't guaranteed in a few seasons).

Well all bout opinions we've won 8 games in almost a year! So can we really compete in top league the amount of pish DL spouts in today's evening times bout wanting a new deal he cannot be serious I'll not be back till he's gone time for change

I'll be back whoever the manager is - I'm there to support the team, regardless of who the manager is. I supported us last year on 17th March with the current manager. I assume you gave that match a bodyswerve?

Edited by Soctty

If I were Danny, I'd want a new deal too and would be vocal about it. The guy is perfectly entitled to stand up for himself and look out for his mortgage getting paid next year - damn right he is.

He'd stand a better chance of that happening mind you, if both he and our board performed a damn sight better in the transfer windows and weaned themselves off the loanee teat.

Going into the season with two young kid loanee keepers, inadequate cover at CB, and shitting ourselves that Thommo' got injured was no way to run an SPFL side with any ambition whatsoever. As for Harkins, Grainger, Bahookey and Caprice?

Ball's in your court Danny, you keep dropping the bloody thing though.

In all my years of being a Saints fan I've went to every game expecting to be pumped. That's what makes winning all the more enjoyable.

Compare what we had to watch in the First division: Bobby Dawson, Andy Dow, Bobby Law, Ricky Robb, Kevin Twaddle et al.

Bit selective there though - what about Charlie Adam, Ludo Roy, Yards, Basher, Ricky Gillies, Junior Mendes et al.

Although not for one moment agreeing with the OP who is clearly on some good gear.

So every year finishing one place above relegation is good enough ?? Total lack of ambition when look at teams above us consistently are do they have better players? Or a better manager ? Also far as I know we've only 5 players signed up and could easily lose dazza McLean and gowser Teale may retire abd thomohawk can't go on forever after 4 year in job shouldn't be mass exodus every season and going down and rebuilding and actually winning games would get feel good factor only won 8 league games in 11 months is that good enough for me that should get alarm bells ringing

So your unhappy with the total lack of ambition yet you wouldn't mind us being relegated bangin.gif .

It would be a complete disaster. Even though the play offs are now included it would still take at least a couple of years to get back up.

Look at Falkirk. They got this top 6 promised land bullshit in their heads and look what happened to them. Got rid of Hughes and then plummeted.

Whilst things aren't perfect we have to remember the flip side.It could be a lot worse.

If I were Danny, I'd want a new deal too and would be vocal about it. The guy is perfectly entitled to stand up for himself and look out for his mortgage getting paid next year - damn right he is.

He'd stand a better chance of that happening mind you, if both he and our board performed a damn sight better in the transfer windows and weaned themselves off the loanee teat.

Going into the season with two young kid loanee keepers, inadequate cover at CB, and shitting ourselves that Thommo' got injured was no way to run an SPFL side with any ambition whatsoever. As for Harkins, Grainger, Bahookey and Caprice?

Ball's in your court Danny, you keep dropping the bloody thing though.

And that's the reason its time for Danny to go.

I'm thinking if we go down might not be a bad thing new manager fresh ideas! Hopefully and enjoying going to see saints again potential derby back and full houses instead of same guff every season thinking 10th or 11th is good enough I for one don't think would be end of the world as far as I can work out only McGinn Kelly Naismith Wylde Reilly and Harkins if he comes back are only players tied up for next season another massive summer ahead!

Thoughts??

You're off yer rocker.

Any half decent player will jump ship, attendances will drop as will the budget.

We would struggle to return straight away and the longer we fail to bounce back the harder it will be.

As for cup wins, and i know they only come once or twice in a lifetime, we're pumped. We've never reached a final outside of the top league and that wouldn't change in the chumpionship.

Apart from that........... Good thread.

I'm thinking if we go down might not be a bad thing new manager fresh ideas! Hopefully and enjoying going to see saints again potential derby back and full houses instead of same guff every season thinking 10th or 11th is good enough I for one don't think would be end of the world as far as I can work out only McGinn Kelly Naismith Wylde Reilly and Harkins if he comes back are only players tied up for next season another massive summer ahead!

Thoughts??

Cant think of anything worse.

Thoughts??

My thoughts are that all you have done here is open your mouth and clear your throat.

• 2 weeks later...

Thoughts??

Thoughts? You've had too much of the old monks wine i think? Going down being a good thing? only if its a lady with a cushion for her knees and top of her heid is nice