Relegation

I'm thinking if we go down might not be a bad thing new manager fresh ideas! Hopefully and enjoying going to see saints again potential derby back and full houses instead of same guff every season thinking 10th or 11th is good enough I for one don't think would be end of the world as far as I can work out only McGinn Kelly Naismith Wylde Reilly and Harkins if he comes back are only players tied up for next season another massive summer ahead!

Thoughts??

I'm thinking if we go down might not be a bad thing new manager fresh ideas! Hopefully and enjoying going to see saints again potential derby back and full houses instead of same guff every season thinking 10th or 11th is good enough I for one don't think would be end of the world as far as I can work out only McGinn Kelly Naismith Wylde Reilly and Harkins if he comes back are only players tied up for next season another massive summer ahead! Thoughts??

So 10th or 11th isn't good enough but first division football is? Solid logic.

I'm thinking if we go down might not be a bad thing new manager fresh ideas! Hopefully and enjoying going to see saints again potential derby back and full houses instead of same guff every season thinking 10th or 11th is good enough I for one don't think would be end of the world as far as I can work out only McGinn Kelly Naismith Wylde Reilly and Harkins if he comes back are only players tied up for next season another massive summer ahead!

Thoughts??

Dreadful attitude. All our decent players would be cherry picked by other teams and we wouldn't be back for a long time.

Get a grip and give yourself a shake!!

Thoughts??

Morton going down

Thoughts??

Thoughts?

You're no the full shilling? 1eye.gif

So if what you are saying is correct and we go down what will we be playing for in the first division?

The hope of finishing high but not too high?

Im not getting it. Maybe when we had a full squad of shite but we are starting to bring through the youngsters and if we go down then the youth setup will suffer.

We are starting to get some quality in with the likes of wylde along with thommo and kello if we can hold on to him.

If we go down all the progression however slow and painful it has been will be for nothing.

So every year finishing one place above relegation is good enough ?? Total lack of ambition when look at teams above us consistently are do they have better players? Or a better manager ? Also far as I know we've only 5 players signed up and could easily lose dazza McLean and gowser Teale may retire abd thomohawk can't go on forever after 4 year in job shouldn't be mass exodus every season and going down and rebuilding and actually winning games would get feel good factor only won 8 league games in 11 months is that good enough for me that should get alarm bells ringing

So every year finishing one place above relegation is good enough ?? Total lack of ambition when look at teams above us consistently are do they have better players? Or a better manager ? Also far as I know we've only 5 players signed up and could easily lose dazza McLean and gowser Teale may retire abd thomohawk can't go on forever after 4 year in job shouldn't be mass exodus every season and going down and rebuilding and actually winning games would get feel good factor only won 8 league games in 11 months is that good enough for me that should get alarm bells ringing

I don't think anyone (other than dicko) thinks 10/11th for us is 'Good Enough'... but say we were relegated as you seem to suggest would be a better option than staying up... how would we fare on a greatly reduced budget, losing all our best players against the likes of Sevco's millions, Hearts fans buy-out and circa 15,000 home gates to fill their coffers and wage budget..?

next season i think it would actually be easier in the prem!

Edited by Lord Pityme

So your argument seems to centre around the assumption that, if you can't play with the big boys and do really well, then go and find some wee kids to bully?

And even then we'd lose our big brothers to fight our battles? Logic not one of your strong points nickyboy?

Might be easier but was meaning from fans point of view as were going to games expecting to get pumped if we go down then we would win lot more n I'd fancy us to be challenging

I have to disagree... we wouldn't have the resorces to challenge first season. The drop in revenue would see us selling cheap, and releasing good pro's we couldn't afford to replace. And before anyone suggests the Youth team could step up.... think about this! any decent players in that would likeley be looking to shift to a prem club for at least a minimum wage gig

Might be easier but was meaning from fans point of view as were going to games expecting to get pumped if we go down then we would win lot more n I'd fancy us to be challenging

So you want us to get relegated so that we can mount a challenge (against rangers) to get promoted back up? That's like quitting your job so you can re-apply for the same one bangin.gif

In all my years of being a Saints fan I've went to every game expecting to be pumped. That's what makes winning all the more enjoyable.

Compare what we had to watch in the First division: Bobby Dawson, Andy Dow, Bobby Law, Ricky Robb, Kevin Twaddle et al.

And then in the SPL: Gunni, Thommo, Isma, Paul McGowan, John McGinn, Stephen McPhee, and so on.

The SPL list would never had appeared for us in the first, so I would rather watch them struggling than watch the first list struggle down a level!

Thoughts??

If we go down we'll be down for some time. Appalling way of thinking, and I suspect the main reason you want us to go down is to get rid of the manager.

Next season the Championship will have Rangers, Dunfermline, Hearts, and all but one of Dundee, Hamilton, Falkirk and Raith. Morton are almost certainly down, so any romantic ideas of the derby are sure to be dashed.

Thinking 10th or 11th isn't good enough, but apparently relegation's a great move!

Madness.

Ive heard it all now........

You must be the only Saints fan that would genuinly be happy to see us go down. We would lose all hope of building a decent squad, we would be struggling to come back up at first attempt, there would be hee haw derby as M*rt*n are heading down at this rate and I would rather see us finish 10/11th than be relegated. I certainly dont think finishing that low is good enough but its definetly prefferable to relegation.

In all my years of being a Saints fan I've went to every game expecting to be pumped. That's what makes winning all the more enjoyable.

Compare what we had to watch in the First division: Bobby Dawson, Andy Dow, Bobby Law, Ricky Robb, Kevin Twaddle et al.

And then in the SPL: Gunni, Thommo, Isma, Paul McGowan, John McGinn, Stephen McPhee, and so on.

The SPL list would never had appeared for us in the first, so I would rather watch them struggling than watch the first list struggle down a level!

Ahh the memories....let's not forget Jim Gardiner, Gary McVie...in fact, there were 10s of them, too many to list.

In fairness, Nicky looks like quite a young guy so he probably didn't see the horrors of the 90s.

Judging by your picture you are about my age (23). My main memory of the first division is the 99/2000 season when i was 8/9 and the first season i went to the majority of games, of course that was a fantastic year and we won the majority of our games scored lots of goals but it definately wouldn't be like that again with Rangers, Hearts, Dunfermline etc.

Edited by irvine_buddie

If we go down we'll be down for some time. Appalling way of thinking, and I suspect the main reason you want us to go down is to get rid of the manager.

Next season the Championship will have Rangers, Dunfermline, Hearts, and all but one of Dundee, Hamilton, Falkirk and Raith. Morton are almost certainly down, so any romantic ideas of the derby are sure to be dashed.

Thinking 10th or 11th isn't good enough, but apparently relegation's a great move!

Madness.

...and it wouldn't get any easier in season 2015/16 either. Say we go down then The Rangers and Hearts go up - and I think both of them would outspend us to ensure they did - then that means either The Rangers or Hearts won the playoff. This means The Rangers and Hearts would be replaced in the Championship the following season with two SPFL clubs from, oh let's say Partick, Ross C, Killie, Dundee/Falkirk, even Hibs or St Johnstone could have a honking season... Then we're still down, without The Rangers and Hearts, but maybe with clubs lead by millionaires willing to go into debt to go up again.

All I can see is a five, seven, or goodness knows how long cycle of us being a mid-table Championship club, stuck in a two-up, two-down rut of clubs capable of beating us easily for the top two places due to millionaire owners going into debt to make sure their club goes back up, and the likes of us float around in fizzy pop semi-oblivion for donkeys years.

Once a club like St Mirren, Kilmarnock or St Johnstone become top flight established clubs, their infrastructure is geared to retaining that status and seeing other clubs like your Dundees, Dunfermlines. Particks and Falkirks etc be the ones going up and down. No offence to those clubs, but we need to be making sure we are better than all of them.

In any league, there's a pack who can win it, a pack who vie for Europe, a pack who are stable most seasons, and a pack who battle relegation. We always manage to find ourselves floating into that relegation pack, but so far, by virtue of some admirable Custer's Last Stand wins (or a llama loving chain smoker's dream going tits-up), we've dodged the bullet.

Failure to dodge the bullet will see us impotent and unable to reload our own pistol for a good while. Doesn't bear thinking about. Sure our board feel the same, how unsellable (for what they want) would their currently seemingly unsellable shares be in fizzy pop land? Hell, they might just lose whatever fight they have left, and sell us to the first 'Leeds United type dodgy convicted-for-fraud Italian' that swans down Greenhill Road reeking of Aramis and wearing a shiny grey Ralph Slater suit.

Relegation. Just say no.

Edited by pozbaird