Jim Goodwin On The Radio

HSS

Sorry Drew but I did not have time to post a long and winded tale this morning but what I was trying to say is that should Jim have to leave due to this outrageous witch hunt then there is a player groomed to take over in that position.Remember that Naismith and Kelly had not featured before they became regulars.Time will tell if Declan makes the step up but I,ve seen him often enough to think he merits a chance.

Cheers for that - I'm with you now. I agree that the full backs have done really well, but we did have more experienced cover in DVZ and Grainger had it not worked out well for the lads.

For what it is worth, I fully support the approach of bringing the young lads through - 100% - but, ideally, they need to be introduced in a measured way.

Sorry Drew but I did not have time to post a long and winded tale this morning but what I was trying to say is that should Jim have to leave due to this outrageous witch hunt then there is a player groomed to take over in that position.Remember that Naismith and Kelly had not featured before they became regulars.Time will tell if Declan makes the step up but I,ve seen him often enough to think he merits a chance.

Difference being Naismith and Kelly had been out on loan to gain first team experience.

None of our U/20s have been out this season any reason for this?

Jim's a very good player, which too often gets lost in the midst of all the nonsense peddled about him. For all he's a marked man, the red card against Hibs was his first of the season, and we can all agree he never deserved that. Sure he picks up bookings by the handful, but he's not the nutter he's made out to be.

As others have said, he's great when interviewed as well, articulate and honest, and a very good captain of the club, a real leader. Would be a huge loss if he were to go. He's a must stay as far as I'm concerned.

Don't recall mcginn going out on loan. Ability will always shine through.

Aye, but, arguably, McGinn was introduced into a position for which we had ample cover. The holding midfielder protects the defence and breaks up play. This can be a critical function, and it could place a huge amount of pressure on a player lacking first team experience if he were to be considered first and/or only pick for this position.

Aye, but, arguably, McGinn was introduced into a position for which we had ample cover. The holding midfielder protects the defence and breaks up play. This can be a critical function, and it could place a huge amount of pressure on a player lacking first team experience if he were to be considered first and/or only pick for this position.

Spot on. Ability will always shine through, but not always as seamlessly as McGinn did. Even Kelly and Naismith had experienced players to learn from and to take over their position if and when they had spells of poor form.

It's a little too easy to say if you're good enough you're old enough. Much rather have a young player in ahead of a more experienced player than thrown in as our only option.

I already discussed how Jim being targeted in this way could affect him next season, (see The Jim Goodwin thread), so rather than repeat it all here, I'll just say Google for Roy Barry, Dunfermline Centre Half, and you'll see what can happen in this game. You'll also see that this kind of witch hunt - and that's what this is - is nothing new.

I definitely think Jim has earned a new contract over the course of this season. A few times he's let himself down with silly bookings which then restricts they way we know he likes to play. All in all he's a great leader on the park and as previously mentioned, most other clubs would take him off our hands.

Difference being Naismith and Kelly had been out on loan to gain first team experience.

None of our U/20s have been out this season any reason for this?

Because most of them are too you to go out in loan/wanted by another club and guys like Declan can't go on loan in case they're required to feature in the first team.

""Groomed" is exactly the word with Declan.

As Broonie has said, he can play the game and is excellent on the ball with both feet. Loves to attack and get forward but for years he's been told not to.

They obviously rate him highly and see something in him as he has been groomed for years to play "the Goodwin role".

He's hard as nails, loves a crunching tackle and wouldn't back out of any 50/50. He was captaining the 17's when he was only 15 and same again with the 19's when he moved up when he was still under 17.

He's had the physicality and ability to play years above his age group all through his youth career, time will tell if he's ready to make the jump and play against senior pro's.

Edited by davidg