Steven Thompson - No Poy Awards

I missed the final game due to being away at a stag do. After speaking to a few other buddies about who won the Supporters Clubs POY awards that are announced after the last home game of the season I was shocked to find out Thommo never won one of them.

I was shocked as this is a guy who has scored 16 goals this year and has the most assists of any in the squad in a struggling team. Of the sixteen all have been from open play. He also only missed one game all season and on one award got pipped by Marian Kello who has not been with us for the whole season.

The last time I was so perplexed by this was when Barron won so many a few years ago.

Let's hope when the official awards get handed out he will get the recognition he deserves for fantastic season.

Baffling????

I missed the final game due to being away at a stag do. After speaking to a few other buddies about who won the Supporters Clubs POY awards that are announced after the last home game of the season I was shocked to find out Thommo never won one of them.

I was shocked as this is a guy who has scored 16 goals this year and has the most assists of any in the squad in a struggling team. Of the sixteen all have been from open play. He also only missed one game all season and on one award got pipped by Marian Kello who has not been with us for the whole season.

The last time I was so perplexed by this was when Barron won so many a few years ago.

Let's hope when the official awards get handed out he will get the recognition he deserves for fantastic season.

Baffling????

He's got the POAT* award.

*Player Of All Time

Baffling????

Not really

I'm surprised more at John McGinn not winning every award going.

Easily our best player all season. Thompsons goals have been vital but week in week out McGinn has out performed everybody.

Easily our best young player I agree but remind me again from midfield how many goals and assist he contributed to?

Easily our best young player I agree but remind me again from midfield how many goals and assist he contributed to?

Personally I think poty means who has performed the best over 38 league games + cup games. Thommo has scored vital goals and had some great games. There was a couple of spells where is form did slip, probably due to fatigue.

McGinn has been our most consistent player, I think he's had maybe 3-4 average games all season which is incredible considering his age and its his first full season in the first team.

I voted for him. Had he got a similar injury to Teale we would have gone down. He carried the striker role almost single handedly all season. Who would have scored goals in his absence? The guy is a legend.

Anyone else a wee bit nervy about there Thommo sits in terms of the new management set-up?

I appreciate that wee Tam is looking to have face-to-face talks with the big chap today, and has clearly considered this a priority, but it would be calamitous if Thommo wasn't content and possibly looked to chuck itFlush.gif

Edited by Drew

Anyone else a wee bit nervy about there Thommo sits in terms of the new management set-up?

I appreciate that wee Tam is looking to have face-to-face talks with the big chap today, and has clearly considered this a priority, but it would be calamitous if Thommo wasn't content and possibly looked to chuck itFlush.gif

Who knowes, I did wonder if Goodwin and Teale were picked as TC keeps his friends close but his enemies closer.

If I was him I would be raging. How can he carry on after this having to be managed and coached by Teale and Goodwin.

Just hope this doesn't push him out the door

If I was him I would be raging. How can he carry on after this having to be managed and coached by Teale and Goodwin.

Just hope this doesn't push him out the door

I'm sure davidg has posted saying that he has personally spoken with Steven Thompson about the prospect of player management and been told straight from the horses mouth that at this stage he doesn't fancy it and wants to concentrate on playing.

PS I'd happily pap any senior player out the door if they think they are too good to be coached or managed by whoever the club has chosen to fill those positions and it wouldn't reflect well on Thompson if he did have a problem taking advice/orders from Goodwin (who has been the team captain for the last few seasons) or Teale (a fellow ex-internationalist who has played at the same level as Thompson).

I appreciate that wee Tam is looking to have face-to-face talks with the big chap today, and has clearly considered this a priority, but it would be calamitous if Thommo wasn't content and possibly looked to chuck it:toilet

I believe that Thommo is quite happy at the prospect of TC as boss, however................

Any1 ever thought that maybe the burden of being our 1st choice striker and being relied upon to score the vast majority of our goals is enough for a man of 35 years old without giving him even more responsibilities as a coach.

Maybe TC has , hence the reason he's not been asked onto the coaching staff. Pretty sure aslong as Steven Thompson wants to be involved with St Mirren , there will be some sort of role there for him.

... maybe it is the start of billyg's campaign to undermine our new coaches, 2 days after their appointment was announced....................................... ?

Hmm........................................................................................

Baffling????

Not baffling at all.... Which of the awards would you have had him front runner for?

... maybe it is the start of billyg's campaign to undermine our new coaches, 2 days after their appointment was announced....................................... ?

Not at all , I'm quite looking forward to seeing how things pan out. I do know that Thommo was less than pleased with the announcement though ! Let's hope TC can talk him round !