Diving In Donegal

RickMcD

With no football until the world cup, if you're looking to do something a bit different this summer have you ever considered diving in Donegal? Just north of Derry in Co.Donegal sits the lovely village of Muff. It sits at the mouth of the River Foyle where it joins Lough Foyle. The Muff Diving Club is one of the most successful diving clubs in Ireland if not the world and people from over flock to Muff for a bit of down under sport. I've done some snorkling up there and I can confirm that there are some sensational sights around and you will see things you will never forget. There's a real taste of Ireland to be had in Muff. You could comb the world and never find a more interesting spot.

Details at www.muffdivingclub.ie

My uncle Brian was Mayor of Muff back in the 90's, I can still recall the pride we felt when he phoned to tell us the news. A couple of my cousins still live there, I can recommend the annual Muff Festival, I like to attend most years, it's also worth having your picture taken at the 'Muff welcomes careful drivers' sign. Do your own doctoring, either for real or with digital means...

With no football until the world cup, if you're looking to do something a bit different this summer have you ever considered diving in Donegal? Just north of Derry in Co.Donegal sits the lovely village of Muff. It sits at the mouth of the River Foyle where it joins Lough Foyle. The Muff Diving Club is one of the most successful diving clubs in Ireland if not the world and people from over flock to Muff for a bit of down under sport. I've done some snorkling up there and I can confirm that there are some sensational sights around and you will see things you will never forget. There's a real taste of Ireland to be had in Muff. You could comb the world and never find a more interesting spot.

Fish or seaweed?

post-4944-0-14916300-1401272020.jpg

Edited by pod

My uncle Brian was Mayor of Muff back in the 90's, I can still recall the pride we felt when he phoned to tell us the news. A couple of my cousins still live there, I can recommend the annual Muff Festival, I like to attend most years, it's also worth having your picture taken at the 'Muff welcomes careful drivers' sign. Do your own doctoring, either for real or with digital means...

Absolutely brilliant, FS. Imagine having Mayor of Muff on your CV. A few of my mates are talking about going up for the festival this year. Would be a gas!

As my old Grampa used to say, the Mayor Muff, the better.

My Ex stays in Redcastle, my eldest daughter stays in Moville and my Son stays in Carndonagh, all not far from Muff.

My Ex stays in Redcastle, my eldest daughter stays in Moville and my Son stays in Carndonagh, all not far from Muff.

A magnificent part of the world, Shull. I love the whole of the Inishowen Peninsula. In my early days motoring around up there I was totally amazed at the number of new houses all over the place and it turned out it was EU money run riot. Cottage owners got grants and all sorts to build new homes and it seems a stack of olde worlde thatched cottages and the like got flattened. Criminal but there is still plenty of the real Ireland to be seen. Donegal is so remote from Dublin that a lot of locals feel disenfranchised. The growth of Muff and other villages in Donegal is largely down now to British money and with the troubles more or less in the past the area is doing quite well. The tourist trade should be flourishing. If I had relatives up there I'd be gatecrashing regularly.

A magnificent part of the world, Shull. I love the whole of the Inishowen Peninsula. In my early days motoring around up there I was totally amazed at the number of new houses all over the place and it turned out it was EU money run riot. Cottage owners got grants and all sorts to build new homes and it seems a stack of olde worlde thatched cottages and the like got flattened. Criminal but there is still plenty of the real Ireland to be seen. Donegal is so remote from Dublin that a lot of locals feel disenfranchised. The growth of Muff and other villages in Donegal is largely down now to British money and with the troubles more or less in the past the area is doing quite well. The tourist trade should be flourishing. If I had relatives up there I'd be gatecrashing regularly.

New houses certainly did spring up. My Ex managed to get Land to build a 6 bedroom house with not a lot of money. lol.gif

Edited by shull

New houses certainly did spring up. My Ex managed to get Land to built a 6 bedroom house with not a lot of money. lol.gif

A stack of them are beautiful too. Keep coming across them with sea views to die for.

Have you got Irish kids, then? I have from my second marriage.

A stack of them are beautiful too. Keep coming across them with sea views to die for.

Have you got Irish kids, then? I have from my second marriage.

Got 5 Irish grandchildren.

My 2 older kids are Scottish from Govan

Got 5 Irish grandchildren.

My 2 older kids are Scottish from Govan

You've made me need to fess up. All my family were born in Paisley but you'll never guess where I was born. Craigton Road, Ibrox, Govan, Glasgow. About five hundred bloody yards from yon fitba grun. My Granny moved to Glasgow at the end of the war and my mother decided to spend New Year 1947 with my granny. I wasn't due for another month but decided to make an appearance. I told Bluto this story once and mentioned being born there is the cross I have to bear. Please forgive me, boys. Honest, I couldnae help it.

Stayed in Culdaff, my mate's sister lived there(free digs), just up the road from Carndonagh. Visited Malin Head, Moville, Letterkenny, (one of the pubs there, think it was called The Fisherman was opened 23 hours, closed for 1 for cleaning.) Went for a week and ended up staying for two. Great holiday.

On arrival my mate who had all his clothes and belongings spread across the back seat, when I asked him why, he said you'll find out soon enough.

So when travelling through Derry and crossing the River Foyle, we got stop and searched by the military on the bridge. The looked on the back seat where his stuff was, then in the boot where my case was, they opened it and then started throwing the contents out onto the road with one hand and rifle in other. So there was my answer.

Him in fits of laughter, me raging.

But didn't spoil my stay in Ireland.

Edited by pod