Sfa Moving From Hampden?

Seems a bit odd and makes me wonder if there is some ulterior motive. Hampden does seem an appropriate HQ for Scottish Football. Maybe they just want their money back assuming they are still owed a whack from the apparent bail-out of Queens Park. If internationals and other games go to other grounds it would be the death knell for Hampden.

Is this a plan to give Celtic and rangers more money as their grounds would be the only ones big enough to host the major qualifiers!!!! Pittodrie Easter Rd etc are big enough for run of the friendlies

I had a few similar thoughts like that going through my head. Mind you will The Rangers exist in 2020? Maybe our ruling masters are making plans for a few years hence when Rangers go bust for the fourth or fifth time. If they finally get into the SPL after ground sharing with Albion Rovers for a few years, they'll need a new ground because Ibrox will be a shopping centre and flats by then. So what's the right thing to do? Give the cheating bastards a gift of Hampden. You know it makes sense. The alternative is Armageddon Mark 2.

Hampden should never have been refurbished in the first place. We don't need a national ground IMHO. If it saves money that can be better spent on youth development then the SFA should move out.

I actually agree with that, sad as I would be to see Hampden disappear. But I think Gosport Buddie is spot on in thinking Celtic will be the biggest beneficiary with Rangers getting their greedy snout in the trough if they manage to survive.

We need a new or a refurbished Hampden for our Internationals, Cup Finals and other non football events.

The present stadium is shite. Three quarters of it must go and then be brought up to the standard of the Main Stand. Those coloured seats with the St Andrews Cross are the ultimate in tackiness.

We want and need Hampden.

Dinnae sell out to the scum of the Green Vermin F.C. and The Newcunto F.C.

SFA just looking for the best deal financially to remain at Hampden , no chance of moving elsewhere !

Exactly. It will be one of a number of options and the media just jump on the one that sounds best. SFA considering extending Hampden lease isn't exactly a headline grabber.

Hampden is a poor ground by modern standards, however it was cheap. What was it £40million refurb- Ireland spent £400m on Landsdown Road, Wembley was £750million or something. I think it would be good to have a decent national stadium.

I also wouldn't mind if the SFA and SRU decided that hosting matches in each others stadiums is a good thing occasionally. A trip to Edinburgh might be nice given the football clubs are languishing in the Championship!

It's only when you travel to other countries that you see what can be achieved in terms of stadium design and transport links.

When Hampden was redeveloped the stadium layout should have been completely re-vamped to bring the supporters right up close to the pitch. The oval design was so last century and the century before that too.

The transport links are very poor.

We should have something similar to the Amsterdam ArenA with a hi-speed rail link installed. The ArenA has a capacity of 53,000 which meets our needs.

So why not build it in the true home of football.....

Paisley!!!

The authorities could then use a rail link to the Airport to bring in away fans, install a retractable roof, put in a retractable international running track (to keep StuD happy).

The away teams could use our ground and training facilities.

Was it not the case,though, that the SFA had sfa to do with the initial planning and development? I thought Queens Park did that and the SFA more or less bailed them out.

I actually agree with that, sad as I would be to see Hampden disappear. But I think Gosport Buddie is spot on in thinking Celtic will be the biggest beneficiary with Rangers getting their greedy snout in the trough if they manage to survive.

I totally disagree with that, totally and absolutely disagree in the strongest indeed.

Hampden park is the home of Scottish football. Hampden park is where many a great football memory has been forged form youngsters attending Scotland games for the first time to the excitement of arriving at a cup final at the one and only national stadium.

Football is our national sport and Hampden is an historic stadium that must be kept for future generations. Even the fact that the only amatuer club stil playing in the professional leagues owns the place is entirely unique.

Next time our great and gracious club reach a national final will it be the same travelling to Celtic park?

Future generations deserve to hear the famous Hampden roar and it is unthinkable that we could deny them that. As Billyg says above it is most likely sabre rattling in an effort to drive down the rent but although we may not need a national stadium (I disagree) we should certianly keep it. If the SFA are going to conduct themselves like halfwits by jeopordising the future of our national stadium then I would assert that they should be removed.

I have attended Hampden many times in my time and many times in my time have I left in tears and many times in my time I have left in tears (but tears of joy) and every time I have attended Hampden in my time I have experienced the old butterflies in the belly.

Whether it be to see your club team or our national team play at Hampden there is something magical about it and causing internationals and finals to be like a travelling circus is entirely to the detriment of being a football fan in Scotland.

It's only when you travel to other countries that you see what can be achieved in terms of stadium design and transport links.

When Hampden was redeveloped the stadium layout should have been completely re-vamped to bring the supporters right up close to the pitch. The oval design was so last century and the century before that too.

The transport links are very poor.

We should have something similar to the Amsterdam ArenA with a hi-speed rail link installed. The ArenA has a capacity of 53,000 which meets our needs.

So why not build it in the true home of football.....

Paisley!!!

The authorities could then use a rail link to the Airport to bring in away fans, install a retractable roof, put in a retractable international running track (to keep StuD happy).

The away teams could use our ground and training facilities.

That's such a 1980s idea mate.......

http://www.heraldscotland.com/sport/spl/aberdeen/linwood-seeks-place-in-soccer-folklore-1.606143

Well said T.T. !

I can feel a new thread coming on, indeed i can.

I've agreed with your earlier post, Shull and I agree with T.T's sentiments but I still have to agree with David Mc that we don't need one. It would be nice to have one. How often is Hampden used in a year? Do Queens Park not play their matches on Lesser Hampden? Anyway, to revamp Hampden again would cost a lot of money and it will probably continue to be an albatross round some poor bugger's neck.

Playing internationals and finals at Murrayfield sounds like a great idea to me, sorry as I would be to see Hampden die. There just doesn't appear to be enough matches or rock concerts going around to make Hampden really viable. If the decision is to carry on at Hampden and bugger the cost, then I'll be absolutely delighted but it would probably not make economic sense.

I've agreed with your earlier post, Shull and I agree with T.T's sentiments but I still have to agree with David Mc that we don't need one. It would be nice to have one. How often is Hampden used in a year? Do Queens Park not play their matches on Lesser Hampden? Anyway, to revamp Hampden again would cost a lot of money and it will probably continue to be an albatross round some poor bugger's neck.

Playing internationals and finals at Murrayfield sounds like a great idea to me, sorry as I would be to see Hampden die. There just doesn't appear to be enough matches or rock concerts going around to make Hampden really viable. If the decision is to carry on at Hampden and bugger the cost, then I'll be absolutely delighted but it would probably not make economic sense.

I don't think Queens Park have used Lesser for years.

That's me living in a backwater and being out of touch. In real terms I imagine the crowds at home games hardly covers the cost of opening Hampden. It's as well they're amateur.

The senior team don't but their pro youth sides use it all the time. It's got a 3g surface these days which makes perfect sense.

Queens Park are currently playing at the Excelsior Stadium in Airdrie. They'll move back to Hampden Park once the ground is converted back after the Commonwealth Games.

As for the story, I quite like Hampden Park as a football venue but there's no doubt it needs work.

The upper floor, where the SFA, SPFL and the Scottish Youth Football Administration Offices are housed are a run down mess these days. They got a lick of paint recently and new paintings were hung and it makes the corridors a bit more presentable but visit on a wet day and you'll see water dripping from the foam ceiling tiles and the offices themselves leave a lot to be desired, particularly down at the SYFA area where they've basically got four or five people crammed into a broom cupboard with piles upon piles of paper and boxes. And the lounges on the 4th and 5th floor are functional rather luxurious.

Despite that though I can't really see where the SFA would be able to set up their offices at Ibrox or Parkhead. The obvious choice would be to ground share with the SRU through at Murrayfield