Alleged Best League In The World

Mid Calder Saint

Best league in the world is always very subjective.

I think Spain could make a stronger claim, based on the skill level.

England could be in the debate for competitive games.

Germany, I only see Champions League games, but the top 2 or 3 teams are a nice mix of skill and physical attributes.

Certainly in all of the above the quality & skill is spectacular, something we don't see in this country.

Same as any league. Good games and shite games. I've seen excellent games - Newcastle v Fulham, Liverpool v Newcastle, Sunderland v Chelsea... and I've seen shite games. Newcastle v Arsenal and Newcastle v Bolton spring to mind. Maybe I should stop watching Newcastle. Anyway...

I don't subscribe to this 'give me Scottish football any day' argument. I guarantee you - if I wasn't in love with St Mirren, I wouldn't be seen in a Scottish football ground. Anywhere, any time.

Pozbaird. This league is pumped to the hilt with foreigners. It is in effect a total money making machine. Yes there are some decent games but as a sky subscriber(unfortately helping the English clubs become richer) I have seen some rubbish over the years and today the game just about fell into that category. The match started with just 3 English players on view as of course Dummy is Welsh. Little wonder the England team is suffering.

Pozbaird. This league is pumped to the hilt with foreigners. It is in effect a total money making machine. Yes there are some decent games but as a sky subscriber(unfortately helping the English clubs become richer) I have seen some rubbish over the years and today the game just about fell into that category. The match started with just 3 English players on view as of course Dummy is Welsh. Little wonder the England team is suffering.

I thought Newcastle played well though - with zero cutting edge. I watch Newcastle games like St Mirren games - I'm really only interested in the team wearing black and white (or black, white, and shitloads of yellow), and I'm not watching the game as a neutral.

Earlier, I thought Southampton played great football at Anfield. I would rather sit down with a beer and watch a TV game that was, for example, Villa v Swansea or West Ham v Everton than I would Aberdeen v Kilmarnock or Dundee v St Johnstone. In fact, I wouldn't cross the road to watch Dundee v St Johnstone.

So far this weekend I've watched Falkirk v Rangers, Leeds v Middleborough, Manchester United v Swansea, WBA v Sunderland, a bit of the Hearts v Hibs match, Liverpool v Southampton and then around 60 minutes of the Newcastle v Man City match. There's no doubt at all in my mind the best games were all from the English Premiership.

So far this weekend I've watched Falkirk v Rangers, Leeds v Middleborough, Manchester United v Swansea, WBA v Sunderland, a bit of the Hearts v Hibs match, Liverpool v Southampton and then around 60 minutes of the Newcastle v Man City match. There's no doubt at all in my mind the best games were all from the English Premiership.

Scottish second tier not quite as good as English first tier. Ok I'll give you that

Dear God - don't you have a wife and family????? Or a hobby?

Stuart. Note your comments but I not think the EPL is the best league in the World as our English friends continually bleat about. I am of the opinion and stats would prove that the Spanish league is far superior.

If you are talking about where the best players in the world are then I'd agree with you but I've watched many more dull matches from La Liga than I have from the Premiership.

Like you, I don't buy all of the English hype about their game, but the one thing that is certainly true about the Premiership is that the world wants to watch it and as anyone, who has travelled down to one of the Northern clubs to take in a match, will tell you - admission often costs less than it does in the top flight of Scottish Football and there's plenty of family entertainment included in that price which isn't always football related.

Go to Eastlands for example and there's bands playing on stages set up immediately outside the stadium, you've got free to enter competitions and challenges. Even inside the stadium during matches there's some clever use of the big screens in the stadium to make people laugh or to help rouse an atmosphere. It's quite clear someone there has been watching how the Americans do their tailgate parties to make going to football an all day event and they've exported it. It makes sense too since the longer fans spend on site the more money they are likely to spend.

And for those who talk about player development - it's true that the number of foreign players in the English leagues is stifling talent, however this criticism is coming from St Mirren fans where one of the best players this season is Eli Plummer

Just watching Newcastle and City. Totally bored. No doubt the well paid pundits will talk it up at full time.

you are subscribing to watch that pi*h,on your telly,YES thats your hard earned cash going into the pockets of english clubs,and giving that media fukwit murdoch a shar of it,,,cancell your subscription,get yer money back and support scottish football....rant over

you are subscribing to watch that pi*h,on your telly,YES thats your hard earned cash going into the pockets of english clubs,and giving that media fukwit murdoch a shar of it,,,cancell your subscription,get yer money back and support scottish football....rant over

Oh dear, I also subscribe.............................me bad? bag.gif

laugh.png

If you are talking about where the best players in the world are then I'd agree with you but I've watched many more dull matches from La Liga than I have from the Premiership.

I'd watch any football if I have a chance and I have. A good game is entertaining no matter the level, the country or the money involved. La Liga can be dull if Barca are turning over a smaller team.

Obviously Scottish football is what I see a lot of. It isn't in great shape, but it can be entertaining and teams can play out some good games. There is a lot of poor games in there too and there is an argument it's over-priced. However compared to other European leagues it isn't so bad. It doesn't match the top leagues, but few do

If the English Premiership is over-rated, it is nothing to the Championship. The sums of money for some very average players is unbelievable and some of the games are worse than an SPL match.

It's like every other league in the world - it has some great games, some all right. some poor and some real shit. I get a perverse pleasure watching guys who are earning a couple of hundred grand a week and more playing a brand of football that would get them dropped at The Racecourse.

I subscribe to the evil empire too... They've got Scottish fitba, English fitba, Spanish fitba, God knows what else fitba... but more importantly to me, the NFL and the golf. Now, I know this makes me suck Satan's dick in a Bill Hicks fashion, but their coverage of the NFL is top drawer, with Kevin Cadle, Neil Reynolds and Cecil Martin/Jeff Reinbold. Their golf coverage is second only to the BBCs Open Championship coverage, and, let's be honest, their fitba' coverage - including Soccer Saturday with Jeff Stelling & Co, is slick and superbly presented.

I'm a bad man, but there are a few things in life I enjoy that are bad for me and I ain't giving them up... Watching bloody St Mirren, eating chocolate, and sucking Sky TVs boaby.

Strike me down Lord, but I'm not a smoker or drinker, so go easy on me, eh?

I've always liked catching up on the leagues in Europe that are that bit smaller and don't really get the attention of others. Obviously, that proves a nightmare trying to actually 'see' a game as hardly any are televised here, but the likes of Belgium, Austria, Netherlands, Norway and Denmark have some great teams in there. It always seems as though those leagues are a little more hotly contested between most teams (if not necessarily champions) and that - although there are prime contenders for the crown each year - those other teams seem to really slug it out and have such a strong relationship with their fans.

That's why I like that brand of football - the fans and the teams have an identity and a culture...