Our Home Crowd - Asset Or Liability?

As I'm sure you all know, we have lost all 4 of our home league games this season, scoring only once in the process. All 7 of our points and 7 of our 8 goals have came on the road.

Is this a coincidence? Or is our home crowd playing a part in the teams poor home form?

We have such a young team, and as anyone who has ever been to a home game will know, it doesn't take much for the Paisley punters to get on our players backs. It isn't an easy place to play for an experienced player when things aren't going well, never mind a youngster.

I personally think our players seem to play with more confidence and freedom on the road. In contrast, they seem to play with a bit of fear and reticence at home.

We now have two important home games coming up - ICT then Ross County - and we really need to pick up more points. In these games, let's be patient with our young players and not get on their back so quickly.

Let's get right behind the team from the start. If we do I'm sure they will reward us with two big performances and hopefully at least one home win.

As I'm sure you all know, we have lost all 4 of our home league games this season, scoring only once in the process. All 7 of our points and 7 of our 8 goals have came on the road.

Is this a coincidence? Or is our home crowd playing a part in the teams poor home form?

We have such a young team, and as anyone who has ever been to a home game will know, it doesn't take much for the Paisley punters to get on our players backs. It isn't an easy place to play for an experienced player when things aren't going well, never mind a youngster.

I personally think our players seem to play with more confidence and freedom on the road. In contrast, they seem to play with a bit of fear and reticence at home.

We now have two important home games coming up - ICT then Ross County - and we really need to pick up more points. In these games, let's be patient with our young players and not get on their back so quickly.

Let's get right behind the team from the start. If we do I'm sure they will reward us with two big performances and hopefully at least one home win.

a lot of famous wins at home prove that this thought is ridiculous,also there are moaning gits who go to away games also

a lot of famous wins at home prove that this thought is ridiculous,also there are moaning gits who go to away games also

If you actually read the post, you'll see I'm talking about this season.

This is one of the youngest teams we've ever had. They're clearly being effected more by the boo boys than an experienced team would.

Away game boo boys are there certainly, but there's far less of them, and they aren't at all sides of the ground.

When we're playing well, chasing the game, winning that atmosphere at St Mirren park is great,

When we're not...

Not to different from most other teams.

Scratch that, the atmosphere at RC, ITC, Fakes, Hamilton and the tic is always shitewhistling.gif

ETA COYS

Edited by insaintee

This is one of the youngest teams we've ever had. They're clearly being effected more by the boo boys than an experienced team would.

Away game boo boys are there certainly, but there's far less of them, and they aren't at all sides of the ground.

sorry TC i'm still not having it

I think there are as many boo boys away as there are at home . The problem as i see it is :

At away matches, the Singing & chanting section of our support can congregate together because the ticket for a specific seat rule is usually ignored (thank christ !) When they start , the folk on the fringes will also join in to support the team. The moaning minnies are still there but tend to be drowned out by the constant support from the noisy beer filled section.

At home, those same noisy fans are split up into small groups because of the season ticket holder seating allocations. When one small group of five to ten start singing ,it doesnt have the same "c`mon everyone" effect as a large group away from home, therefore those fringe fans are less likely to shout & sing giving more dead air for the Knobends to be heard. Same knobends, simply more time & opportunities to be heard.

Remember, the atmosphere at Love street died when we went from a season ticket to get in to a season ticket for a specific seat.

Now would probably be a good time to start thinking about how to improve the atmosphere at St Mirren Park for NEXT season.

I really think there needs to be an attempt to get those who wish to stand up (at points), sing etc in to the same area as we had on the half way line at Love Street. We lost that group that could get some atmosphere going when we moved and have never recovered it.

I would offer the supporters clubs/buses block seats together too so the guys who get the songs going away from home can sit near each other.

A reasonably priced bar opening in the ground would no doubt help too.

I agree with the original poster, the general silence in the ground creates a space for boo boys to be heard directly by the players, and with a young team will lead to the loss of a considerable amount of points over the season.

I thought the support yesterday was fantastic. We were right behind the team even when it looked like we were going to lose. TC acknowledged it in his post match interview and SGG has just tweeted similar:

https://twitter.com/stewartgilmour1/status/518752940816084993

I think you're making a fair point, TC. Is it asking too much for our fans , meaning the boo boy fans, to try biting their tongues for the next two matches? I know it will be hard for some but give it a try. It's so ingrained in some that they physically could not do it and how could the word be spread. We know what will be said, of course. 'I've paid so I can say what the f**k I like'.

You get boo boys in every stadium, and indeed frustration has probably led to all of us being a boo boy at some point. The problem is down to the lack of atmosphere overall. If we had 1000 or so Buddies making noise like we do at away games then the moans and heckles would barely be noticed.

I personally think it's more to do with the players actually now getting to know each other a bit better as the weeks unfold and some of our better players starting to find a bit of form rather than St Mirren Park being the problem. Just my opinion though.

It must be obvious to all Saints fans that the atmosphere supporting the team is much better away from home. It is therefore no coincidence that we colllect more points away from home when there is a higher level of support and positivity transmitted to the players. When we play Inverness and Ross County, next two vital home games, take 5 mins to listen to the abuse and at times vitriol that is shouted at our players even for simply mishiiting a cross. It's not rocket science in supporting our team.

Look at the stats of home v away. Same manager, virtually same players. The 'random' factor is the venue I.e. home or away. Away we perform much better. Why? Because the players are under greater pressure from certain vociferous fans who are all too ready to condemn rather than support. I feel this is also an image we have - hypercritical - that may deter players from signing for our club knowing that any mistake, error will result in verbals from the stands. It is part of the human psyche that we respond to praise and encouragement even though things may not be going to well.

I also think that the pricing policy has to be looked at , for example ,last home game v the vermin there was only 800 more saints supporters than away supporters ..that is shocking

sorry not fans fault we have been shite at home since we moved to new ground . too good a stadium for visting teams

not really a fortress even in feegie , doesnt frighten any visiting team not like old love street and the north Bank and enclosure..