Our Shite Defence

Kemp

Watching recent clips, there seems to be a pattern in these awful goals we are losing, and a weakness Paul Hartley exposed to excellent effect (for them) on Saturday.

The centre backs are getting no cover from the centre of midfield and Kelly & Naismith are young boys getting pulled out position very easily.

McAusland isnt to blame for Dundee United being able to run over our midfield and slip a ball in to the box unchallenged.

Dundee knew they could let McGowan play from about 25 yards out and pick a ball in to the wing.

Motherwell's goal from Sutton is another example of the ball being easily played in behind the defence. McGinn was at fault there, and Wylde on Saturday was a joke, a sacking offence in my opinion! Again though it goes to the wing and the full backs are nowhere to be seen.

I think Osbourne flatters to deceive,but he seems very popular on here so I assume others who attend more know better. However, there isnt much protection in the middle of the park.

Surely we need to make ourselves difficult to beat if we are in a relegation battle. I would get Osbourne and Goodwin in front of the back 4 and two midfield wide men who will track back. It is just so easy to score against, we need to line up with a team that can have 8 or 9 good defenders when required.

If anyone has a better idea as to how to solve the worse defence in the UK please post here or send a stamped addressed envelope to Gary Teale.

I feel that our two fullbacks play to centrally, watch them every game, they move inside ,almost within the 18 yard line, they should be outside the the edge of the area and between the sideline. It's easy for teams to overlap in the wings. Naismith on Saturday ran away from the Dundee player when he was closest and watched McLear run a further 20 yards to catch the player.

Our positioning is crazy in my opinion, all about staying in your zone now

I feel that our two fullbacks play to centrally, watch them every game, they move inside ,almost within the 18 yard line, they should be outside the the edge of the area and between the sideline. It's easy for teams to overlap in the wings. Naismith on Saturday ran away from the Dundee player when he was closest and watched McLear run a further 20 yards to catch the player.

Absolutely this. We were talking about it during the game. It has been a glaring issue for at least two seasons now, and desperately needs addressed.

Naismith was guilty of this the entire Aberdeen game. Against Dundee United a good example was in the last minute when he gave their guy all the time in the world to cross the ball, then out Tess doesn't even attempt to jump and we nearly conceed a late sucker punch.

Is it the centre half in him? He played there most if his youth.

We're pretty amateurish all over the park tbh, we deserve everything that we get. Feel sorry for McLean and the young lads who are just breaking through if we go down.

A fundamental flaw all over our team is , sitting back , and not "getting into them " or just leaving it too late to close them down . They had obviously been told to shut King down at every opportunity and that is why he was kicked and fouled nearly everytime he got hold of the ball . An interesting aspect is that , when king gathered the ball just before his goal , McPake , who is almost right next to king , stumbles , and is therefore unable to stop King from scoring the goal , a goal that he might well have doubled up on had he not been kicked and fouled thereafter , all afternoon. .

You can't blame Tess or Naismith for feeling a need to mark Jim or Marc. Must be hell not knowing when the man one in will f**k up next.

That's a Tommy Craig level of understanding!

That said, harsh to see Chalky White up there get all the credit when I raised the problem. Now I know how McAusland feels!

The fact is the full backs are staring at that 25 yard area while players run in behind them. We need two defensive midfielders willing to smash any c**t that comes in there and all four of those on the wing able to cover any runs.

That said, harsh to see Chalky White up there get all the credit when I raised the problem. Now I know how McAusland feels!

The fact is the full backs are staring at that 25 yard area while players run in behind them. We need two defensive midfielders willing to smash any c**t that comes in there and all four of those on the wing able to cover any runs.

Yeah , given our recent refereeing issues , that would work well !

It's part of new football though isn't it, the overlapping full backs and the ball being lauched out for the quick attack against an exposed defence. Could it be that we just waste the ball more than most? A shit cross, the Cheesy pass to someone who's marked, the FIFA pass when someone is right next to them. If we have two defensive midfielders and wingers poised to cover then where's the creativity coming from? Oh and Gus did that with four central midfielders across the midfield. I like my wingers to be a bit of both, Wylde offers neither just now. I did wonder how many of the times Tess & Naismith are caught central is occasions where we've had an attacking set piece. We NEVER have a man sat between the two back and the edge of the opposition box.

We are 11th in the league and we have the 10th best defence.

Indeed 10th and 12th have both played less games than we have, yet both have conceded more goals than we have. Motherwell have conceded 4 more despite having played a game less, County 3 more despite having played 2 games less.

Would seem the facts aren't lining up with some agendas on here. No change there then.

Indeed 10th and 12th have both played less games than we have, yet both have conceded more goals than we have. Motherwell have conceded 4 more despite having played a game less, County 3 more despite having played 2 games less.

Would seem the facts aren't lining up with some agendas on here. No change there then.

Tommy Craig is undefeated in 9! I'm sure this pick an argument with any point shite was funny at some point, probably when Jim Davidson was selling tickets & Noel Edmonds was the king of the BBC. Give it a rest will you.

Which agendas?

Are you trying to tell us that our defence isn't shocking?

All your stats suggest is that our nearest rivals defences are slightly more shite than ours.

Our defence has lacked concentration all season and been extremely careless too.

Which agendas?

All your stats suggest is that our nearest rivals defences are slightly more shite than ours.

Our defence has lacked concentration all season and been extremely careless too.

"Hmmm, it's coming towards me. I'll just flick this...oh f**k...phew I'm ahead...saved...I'll take a wee dive..."

"Right, what was it the manager said? Touch tight, pull the guys top off and...oh what, the Ref gave a penalty..."

Tommy Craig is undefeated in 9! I'm sure this pick an argument with any point shite was funny at some point, probably when Jim Davidson was selling tickets & Noel Edmonds was the king of the BBC. Give it a rest will you.

Eh?

So unless we agree with your shite point we should give it a rest?

Discussion forums aren't for you.

Which agendas?

Shocking in comparison with whom?Our rivals? Nope. Who then?

Every team makes defensive mistakes. Indeed you can point to virtually every goal and you'll find a defensive mistake somewhere.

We never lost on Saturday because of defensive mistakes. We lost because we missed a hatful of chances and were denied a stonewall penalty.

I thought we defended well against Dundee Utd - the highest scoring side in the league - and very well against County in the last 3 games. Conceding only 2 goals in those 2 games is decent enough, never mind doing it with 10 men for an hour of 1 of them.

3-5-2 anyone? Would prefer to see Jason further up the park as feel he offers more attacking than defensively.

That said my mate and I have said Jason would do a better job up front than most and would give an option if we are chasing a game which seems to be most weeks. He seems to have a goal scorers instinct in comparison to some of the players played further forward.

3-5-2 anyone? Would prefer to see Jason further up the park as feel he offers more attacking than defensively.

That said my mate and I have said Jason would do a better job up front than most and would give an option if we are chasing a game which seems to be most weeks. He seems to have a goal scorers instinct in comparison to some of the players played further forward.

Spoke to his dad a couple of times and he told me that in his youth Jason was a striker that scored for fun. Certainly get glimpses of that instinct when he bombs forward.

I'm not sure his best position is right back and would like to see him moved further up too. Kelly's made that transition pretty well.

I suggested a few months ago that we could do worse than stick Naismith up front. I agree that he offers more to the team going forward than defensively. In fact he reminds me a bit of Alan Hutton who has always been the defensive weak link in any team I have seen him play for. However, Hutton is more of a provider whereas Naismith is a genuine goal threat in his own right.

The only problem is we apparently don't have another right full back.

Edited by northstbuddie

Naismith is forever getting caught out losing the ball in the opposition box and leaving a huge gap down our right side. He is not a full back. Plays more like a right winger. I always panic when I see him burst forward after balls that he is never going to reach, and expect the opposition to take advantage every time. He is like Hutton, obviously without the diving. He is young and will learn.

Edited by cambiebud