Child Commissioners Damning Report On Pro Youth Development

Stuart Dickson

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/scottish-news/scottish-football-clubs-exploiting-dreams-5794176

It looks like finally the Scottish Government is waking up to the fact that the Pro Youth system in Scotland is damaging the game in the country by feeding the greed, rather than the need of the clubs in the game.

St Mirren are featured heavily in the article principally because Keiran Doran is the player being interviewed for the article but it's hard to argue with the fact that there is something wrong with a system that locks players into a three year contract from the age of 14 not allowing them to change clubs but affording the senior football club the right to get rid of the player with no compensation.

I've been saying for years that the pro youth system is wasteful. My personal experience of it was that we saw kids aged 10 and 11 being taken from our Juvenile club - where they were enjoying their football and had been progressing - only to return one year later claiming that they were fed up being kept on the bench or sidelined every week. In one game we beat a Stenhousemuir pro youth side in our age group in a friendly only to find that next week that Alloa had dumped all of their players as a result and that they wanted 8 of ours to join them. I've also been at meetings with several Heads of Youth Development from a number of clubs who say that they have squads of players who are just "shirt fillers" so the club can tick a box and get funding. And I know of one ex Dundee United youth coach who quit their pro youth set up to take his own juvenile football team because he was absolutely sick and fed up of a system where so many kids egos were stroked despite it being obvious from an early age that those kids were never going to be good enough to make it.

I was heavily critical of Mark Wotte and his work at the SFA pushing Elite Football from an early age. It makes no sense what so ever in Scotland and it proved the SFA really lacked joined up thinking. At the SYFA good work has been done to raise standards at juvenile clubs. To operate each team now needs a qualified sports injuries first aider, a level 1.2 coach and a level 1.1 coach all having been fully police checked as a minimum. To retain your coaching or first aid qualification you have to do refresher courses or advance through your coaching pathway. And the SYFA has been moving to tighten those standards further still to ensure that each team has a 1.3 coach as a minimum standard. Lots of money has been poured into grass roots coach development and many clubs are now fully meeting at least the Standard Level for the SFA Quality Club Mark. Yet despite this improvement at grass roots level senior clubs are being encouraged by the likes of Mark Wotte to take kids away from their friends and away from playing football for enjoyment to work in an Elite system where often kids are denied valuable game time.

Hopefully the Commissioners report will see a change in the direction of the funding. Put the money given to senior clubs back into local communities to improve playing facilities at grass roots level of the game where it should always have been!

Other football please. Unless someone wants to set up a forum sub-section 'Other football that can be twisted into a dig at St Mirren'.

Really? The article is heavily related to St Mirren with Kieran Doran being the player whose story is being told. I think it would be ridiculous to assume that this Child Commissioner Report doesn't affect St Mirren at all. I think I put the article in the right section.

Really? The article is heavily related to St Mirren with Kieran Doran being the player whose story is being told. I think it would be ridiculous to assume that this Child Commissioner Report doesn't affect St Mirren at all. I think I put the article in the right section.

This is not a general St Mirren discussion topic. It should be shifted.

This is not a general St Mirren discussion topic. It should be shifted.

St Mirren have a Club Academy set up. St Mirren are named in the article. It's an ex St Mirren player who features in the article. It is a St Mirren topic. It would be wrong to put it in the Other Football section as though the report didn't affect St Mirren at all.

Dickson, given that you aren't a Saints fan, when there are articles about other clubs in the media, do you post them on those clubs' forums? Or do you just target Saints?

I honestly can't figure out what you're doing here. Nobody gives a tupenny f**k about what you say or think.

St Mirren have a Club Academy set up. St Mirren are named in the article. It's an ex St Mirren player who features in the article. It is a St Mirren topic. It would be wrong to put it in the Other Football section as though the report didn't affect St Mirren at all.

Don't agree

I agree with the article but it clearly says the whole system not just St Mirren's

Other Football it belongs

Dickson, given that you aren't a Saints fan, when there are articles about other clubs in the media, do you post them on those clubs' forums? Or do you just target Saints?

I honestly can't figure out what you're doing here. Nobody gives a tupenny f**k about what you say or think.

You can't work out what he's doing ? He has a chip the size of his arse on his shoulder with regards to the current board so he takes any opportunity apt or otherwise to create a dig at the club in general but aimed at SG and co in particular. Problem is everyone is bored by it.

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/scottish-news/scottish-football-clubs-exploiting-dreams-5794176

It looks like finally the Scottish Government is waking up to the fact that the Pro Youth system in Scotland is damaging the game in the country by feeding the greed, rather than the need of the clubs in the game.

As much as I like football, anyone out there who believes footballing issues like are important in the context of things are deluded numpties.

We have literally thousands of sports out there receiving a fraction of what football gets.

Sometimes football fans can be arrogant as f**k in thinking only they matter.

As for the rest of your post?

Pish. Utter pish. I trust the SFA before I trust someone like you Stuart.

Edited by oaksoft

As much as I like football, anyone out there who believes footballing issues like are important in the context of things are deluded numpties.

We have literally thousands of sports out there receiving a fraction of what football gets.

Ach that just shows how bad your judgement is. Imagine trusting Stuart Regan and Campbell Ogilvie ahead of anyone....rolleyes.gif

As for the rest of your stuff...what can I say other than utter pish! The Scottish Government DOES give out more money in grants to Scottish Football than to any other sporting organisation - and rightly so - yet so far the taxpayer has been getting a shocking return on its money. It's about time the government made those receiving the majority of the grant money far more accountable than they have done to date and the ridiculous notion of tying a 14 year old to a three year contract is just one of many areas where senior football clubs are breaching all levels of morality - as the case with Keiran Doran shows quite clearly. Another would be in trying to sell kids as young as 10 year old for a "compensation fee".

And while I'm at it - and this isn't aimed at you Oaksoft - I think it's pathetic that someone moved this thread onto the Other Football Forum when St Mirren are so clearly at the heart of the story. I guess it just goes to show the depths some will plunge to in defending the indefensible!

Edited by Stuart Dickson

Ach that just shows how bad your judgement is. Imagine trusting Stuart Regan and Campbell Ogilvie ahead of anyone....rolleyes.gif

As for the rest of your stuff...what can I say other than utter pish! The Scottish Government DOES give out more money in grants to Scottish Football than to any other sporting organisation - and rightly so - yet so far the taxpayer has been getting a shocking return on its money. It's about time the government made those receiving the majority of the grant money far more accountable than they have done to date and the ridiculous notion of tying a 14 year old to a three year contract is just one of many areas where senior football clubs are breaching all levels of morality - as the case with Keiran Doran shows quite clearly. Another would be in trying to sell kids as young as 10 year old for a "compensation fee".

And while I'm at it - and this isn't aimed at you Oaksoft - I think it's pathetic that someone moved this thread onto the Other Football Forum when St Mirren are so clearly at the heart of the story. I guess it just goes to show the depths some will plunge to in defending the indefensible!

snore.gif

You talk utter shite oaksoft.

You are a clueless fool.

Why has this been moved to "other football".

This relates DIRECTLY to St. Mirren FC.

St. Mirren's record of developing young players over the past decade with David Longwell and the Pro Youth system has been shocking. Utterly shocking.

This is something we should be discussing rather than burying our heads in the sand and pretending that everything is okay.

Why has this been moved to "other football".

This relates DIRECTLY to St. Mirren FC.

St. Mirren's record of developing young players over the past decade with David Longwell and the Pro Youth system has been shocking. Utterly shocking.

This is something we should be discussing rather than burying our heads in the sand and pretending that everything is okay.

Discuss then instead of attacking one man

It was moved because the article is about Pro Youth system as a whole not just St Mirren's

Discuss then instead of attacking one man

It was moved because the article is about Pro Youth system as a whole not just St Mirren's

The other football category is described on this website as being for

"If you want to post anything about football that isn't St. Mirren related this is the place to put it."

The article specifically outlines Kieran Doran and his dispute with St Mirren which he has taken to HMRC and it is also about the Scottish Child Commissioners damning report on Scottish Academy Football - one of which St Mirren have operating under exactly the kind of structure that was so heavily criticised. It is a disgrace that a moderator has moved the thread into an "Other Football" category as if to try and sideline any criticism of the club into a far more pedestrian part of the website.

The development side of the club should certainly come under some scrutiny, especially from those who are members of SMiSA - of which I am one - or indeed from the Fans Council given that those fans organisations regularly fund raise and donate to the academy structure being heavily criticised.

The article specifically outlines Kieran Doran and his dispute with St Mirren which he has taken to HMRC and it is also about the Scottish Child Commissioners damning report on Scottish Academy Football - one of which St Mirren have operating under exactly the kind of structure that was so heavily criticised. It is a disgrace that a moderator has moved the thread into an "Other Football" category as if to try and sideline any criticism of the club into a far more pedestrian part of the website.

The development side of the club should certainly come under some scrutiny, especially from those who are members of SMiSA - of which I am one - or indeed from the Fans Council given that those fans organisations regularly fund raise and donate to the academy structure being heavily criticised.

I doubt as we have already discussed Kieran Doran on here before

:lol: