Formation Next Season

What? Surely your formation is planned around the team you are playing against to exploit their weaknesses...to play one formation would be silly..also depends on what players we sign...pretty pointless thread at this point...

No, most managers stick to their preferred formation all season. You are talking about game to game tactics. Good managers also sign players to play in their system not other way round. Pretty pointless statements you make... Edited by 17/03/13

Spain/Barca's 4-2-3-1 is still the predominant formation in football and has been for years, germany's refreshing 2-3-2-3 was great but it's probably too difficult to get the right players to play it, especially the "false No. 9" We started to play 4-2-3-1 under Danny and have continued (on and off) since. Our problem has always been getting enough goals from the 3 attacking mids, I don't know if that'll change if we have Newguy, Gow, and Sadlier (unless newguy is David Villa), at any rate 4-2-3-1 is still the most adaptable system and I'd expect us to use it next season.

So do you think the manager is going out signing any old player then come August trying to work out what system to play??

No.

I think and hope he will adapt his system to suit the players who are already here and will sign players to complement them. Most of our squad for next season are already at the club.

Heard an interesting interview with Strachan regarding this. He said when he went to Middlesbrough he made the mistake of trying to force the players to play his system, as opposed to adopting a system to suit his players. He was a failure with them and resigned.