St Mirren Radio

• 2 weeks later...

TV coverage was great last night again but its an F for John Hillcoat as commentator.

If he wasn't complaining about the rules of the sport he played for 30 years (passback rule! 6 second rule! players going off park if they are injured! Yes John...its not 1985) he was claiming McMullan was at it when getting an elbow smashed in his face, calling for Morton penalties or generally talking pish.

Next!

I listened to the Raith Rovers Vs Paisley Buddies game on St Mirren radio last night (the first time I have ever utilised this delightful service). The commentator was pretty good and he was accompanied by a chap called "Stevie". Who is Stevie?

He sounded like a former player but I could not work out who.

So Stevie, Stevie who art thou Stevie?

Note:- for anyone reading this in the future the game was Raith Rovers 1 the Paisley Saint Mirren professional football club pte ltd co first team playing squad 1. It went down in history as the last game Ian Murray ever managed in his short but disasterous career before the new man, the legend took over and took us to those famous dizzy heights.

I listened to the Raith Rovers Vs Paisley Buddies game on St Mirren radio last night (the first time I have ever utilised this delightful service). The commentator was pretty good and he was accompanied by a chap called "Stevie". Who is Stevie?

Note:- for anyone reading this in the future the game was Raith Rovers 1 the Paisley Saint Mirren professional football club pte ltd co first team playing squad 1. It went down in history as the last game Ian Murray ever managed in his short but disasterous career before the new man, the legend took over and took us to those famous dizzy heights.

Tom, my son was listening to the commentary last night and he played me a section of the coverage at half time where David Longwell was being interviewed. My son is well aware of my views on youth development and he's broadly in agreement with me having seen what happened to many of his ex team mates at pro youth level. His reason for playing that section back to me was he found some of what Longwell was saying to be laughable.

Longwell first told how, after reading Gordon Strachans comments on academy football, he contacted Gordon Strachan to invite him to Ralston through a mutual friend. Strachan accepted the invite and turned up at Ralston the next day. Longwell said Strachan sat in the office with him and "Max" outlining his views on the game and telling stories of his time working under Alex Ferguson, Howard Wilkinson and talking about Gary McAllister and how he managed to improve his game. Questioned a bit further Longwell dropped in that Strachan had also talked about - as has been well quoted in the press - how he wants to see young players get more touches of the ball, something Longwell claimed he also believed was important. Answering another question Longwell said that both he and "Max" were delighted for the opportunity to listen to Strachan and to gain some of his vast knowledge and experience. So far so good eh?

Then Longwell finished the interview by saying that Strachan watched some of the first team training, and then watched the training of the Under 20's squad and that he left and Longwell claimed he believed Strachan was very impressed with what he was trying to do at the club. Really? I look forward to seeing Strachan back in the papers saying "I'm sorry guys. I used to have strong views on academy football but you know what - I was invited to Ralston to watch St Mirren's David Longwell in action and I've realised just how wrong I got it. David Longwell impressed me so much he has shown me the error of my ways.

I know it's just an interview for fans radio and sometimes you feel prompted to say something positive, but come off it David. That last bit was totally delusional wasn't it? Strachan is dead against academy football an he's calling for a root and branch reform of how clubs do it. He may have been impressed at your coffee making skills, or at with the facility at Ralston, but to claim in any seriousness that he's impressed with how the academy operates was just nonsense wasn't it?

My son also claimed that the commentator had said at one point that Raith Rovers had scrapped their youth development programme. I didn't hear it directly for myself, but that's just wrong. Raith Rovers are one of the four clubs involved with the new Fife Elite Regional Academy. It's cost cutting, of course, but it's simply not true to claim they've scrapped youth development at Raith Rovers.

Edited by Stuart Dickson

Thanks for tuning in and 'enjoying' the coverage. We were the only dedicated radio commentary there and it appeared we had plenty tuning in.

Stephen alongside me in the commentary box last night is one of UWS Sports Journalists (with the partnership that is set up between the Uni & SM) who has done some other radio co-comms and presenting duties on the St Mirren pre/post match show at home games.

Edited by Broadcastcallum

Thanks for tuning in and 'enjoying' the coverage. We were the only dedicated radio commentary there and it appeared we had plenty tuning in.

Steven alongside me in the commentary box last night is one of UWS Sports Journalists (with the partnership that is set up between the Uni & SM) who has done some other radio co-comms and presenting duties on the St Mirren pre/post match show at home games.

Thank you for answering me, the coverage was good so give yourself a pat on the back.

I was convinced the boy 'Stevie' was a former player such was his apparent knowledge of the game, however in comparison to Ian Murray what does he know eh?

Anyway well done again, hope you are having some fun doing it.

Oh really.

Heh, Heh

I stopped reading after line 2.

The interview with David Longwell was actually very good, a nice wee time filler if you will. Nothing remotely controversial or even unexpected in it. Some people will just pick fault with anything and everything. Frankly we supporters of Paisley's greatest have a little more to concern ourselves with at the moment.

Heh, Heh

I stopped reading after line 2.

The interview with David Longwell was actually very good, a nice wee time filler if you will. Nothing remotely controversial or even unexpected in it. Some people will just pick fault with anything and everything. Frankly we supporters of Paisley's greatest have a little more to concern ourselves with at the moment.

Except calling the National Coach in to give some advice and help before sending him away thinking you've "impressed" him. :rolleyes:

Thank you for answering me, the coverage was good so give yourself a pat on the back.

I was convinced the boy 'Stevie' was a former player such was his apparent knowledge of the game, however in comparison to Ian Murray what does he know eh?

Anyway well done again, hope you are having some fun doing it.

Cheers! At least the late goal from Mallan made the four hour round media team drive a bit better!

We are at Ibrox Saturday lunchtime so those that can't go can sync up our audio with Alba pictures. (If you have Sky just pause the tv for 15-20 secs to sync us up!)

According to St Mirren Supporters FB page St Mirren Radio will feature Tommy Turner, Jim Goodwin and Ian Murray tonight at 6pm. But there is no mention of it on this thread nor on the official website. So I cannot confirm if there is a programme or not.

If it is on then could I suggest that St Mirren radio start advertising their schedule? What is the point if no-one is listening?

According to St Mirren Supporters FB page St Mirren Radio will feature Tommy Turner, Jim Goodwin and Ian Murray tonight at 6pm. But there is no mention of it on this thread nor on the official website. So I cannot confirm if there is a programme or not.

If it is on then could I suggest that St Mirren radio start advertising their schedule? What is the point if no-one is listening?

They've been running the midweek show at 6pm on a Wednesday for a month or two now - aside from weeks like last week when we have a midweek game. It gets plugged on their own Twitter and Facebook pages and you can also listen to it as a podcast the following day.

Not ideal I grant you but they are doing some promoting and the Wednesday show is now a regular thing.

Edited by Stu

They've been running the midweek show at 6pm on a Wednesday for a month or two now - aside from weeks like last week when we have a midweek game. It gets plugged on their own Twitter and Facebook pages and you can also listen to it as a podcast the following day.

Not ideal I grant you but they are doing some promoting and the Wednesday show is now a regular thing.

Thanks for the info Stu.

I was not aware of this Wed show as I do not use Twitter nor was aware they had a FB page - I do not see the FB page advertised anywhere. The link to the radio show is via the OS Home page. Why not tell potential listeners what is happening there? Or in the Tune-In link?

Edit to Add: just looked at their FB page. No reference to a show tonight and no (obvious) reference to this being a weekly show.

Edited by Sonny

Thanks for the info Stu.

I was not aware of this Wed show as I do not use Twitter nor was aware they had a FB page - I do not see the FB page advertised anywhere. The link to the radio show is via the OS Home page. Why not tell potential listeners what is happening there? Or in the Tune-In link?

Edit to Add: just looked at their FB page. No reference to a show tonight and no (obvious) reference to this being a weekly show.

I just assumed they had a Facebook page and the stuff would be on it. Apologies.