Morton V St Mirren Championship

shull

Langfield had several very good saves and I think his experience will help our defence. He done a lot of talking and directing to the 2 young guys in front of him.

Gallacher played well when he came on, took the ball for a few good runs and stretched their defence, creating a few chances out of nothing. Mcmillan played better when he came on.

Not impressed with first impressions of howieson

Big jim was immense when we went down to 10 men.

Felt sorry for thommo in first half. Won balls in the air but too isolated.

It'll come. I have faith in Murray. He'll get it right but needs time. At times tonight we played like a new team who weren't used to playing together

1st game, we lost 2 outrageously unlucky goals and missed a penalty.

2nd game a freak deflection and a penalty cost us 2 goals.

3rd game, a half shout of a goal chalked off & a man sent off.

A great start to the season.............................thumbup2.gif

that's the way the cookie crumbles....

some seem to forget this is where we are now

for me we are 2 or 3 players short of a finished team

i will reserve judgement until we have a complete squad but how we need a decent finisher up top

as well as someone in midfield with a bit of composure and the balls to ensure the others get more involved

Edited by jama

SPL refs ARE terrible . It's the same who sent off Thommo and didn't give kenny mcleans 'goal'off the bar and across the line against Motherwell last year

Correction: made the mistake of reading the quality Morton programme which stated Alan Muir as the referee, on the same page where it lists the full Falkirk squad as the away team under a St mirren badge. Clearly a quality production. Sorry for mistaken identity Mr Muir, though to be fair you are still a really bad referee

Until Murray works out his best team we are in deep trouble, Don't tell me Agnew is a better option than Mallan or Kelly is the answer at centre half both are largely posted missing but, for whatever reason the manager seems to have faith in them. Langfield star man. as for the rest Goodwin looks like he gives a fake others should take note. Conlon makes Bobby Law look competent yet another wage thief. Can only see another season of complete and utter garbage ahead.

Langfield was excellent, made three or four outstanding saves. Some poor finishing by Morton though, the loss of our top scorer/best player from last season (McManus) has hit us hard.

McMullan looked very dangerous, brieflly - really faded out of the game, perhaps tackles on him had an impact.

Red card incident happened straight in front of where I was standing, seemed soft. Goodwin and Thompson wreckless at times, lucky to both stay on the park. Goodwin is little more than a hammer thrower. Heard from the St Mirren dressing room (directly from a former player) that Goodwin would call for his team mates to 'f***** do' the skilful opposition players the first chance they got - apparently his attitude on that caused quite a bit of a bust up. A moron.

Felt like a defeat leaving the ground tonight. Don't think either team will be troubling the top 4 this season.

Edited by See you next season

Until Murray works out his best team we are in deep trouble, Don't tell me Agnew is a better option than Mallan or Kelly is the answer at centre half both are largely posted missing but, for whatever reason the manager seems to have faith in them. Langfield star man. as for the rest Goodwin looks like he gives a fake others should take note. Conlon makes Bobby Law look competent yet another wage thief. Can only see another season of complete and utter garbage ahead.

That's the spirit.

How is your professional managerial career going?

Langfield was outstanding, made three or four outstanding saves. Some poor finishing by Morton though, the loss of our top scorer/best player from last season (McManus) has hit us hard.

McMullan looked very dangerous, brieflly - really faded out of the game, perhaps tackles on him had an impact.

Red card incident happened straight in front of where I was standing, seemed soft. Goodwin and Thompson wreckless at times, lucky to both stay on the park. Goodwin is little more than a hammer thrower. Heard from the St Mirren dressing room (directly from a former player) that Goodwin would call for his team mates to 'f***** do' the skilful opposition players the first chance they got - apparently his attitude on that caused quite a bit of a bust up. A moron.

Felt like a defeat leaving the ground tonight. Don't think either team will be troubling the top 4 this season.

Nice story, you should write a book, fiction obviously.

Some amount of nonsense as usual, but in fairness 1 point from 9 isn't great. That said the knicker wetting is as always considerably OTT.

Positives first:

Langfield (minus the flap and the two handed punch) - on the evidence of that performance he will earn us a fair few points this season.

Watson - solid debut.

Goodwin - simply outstanding particularly when down to 10 men. He drove that team forward and with Langfield earned us a point tonight. Showed his leadership pedigree in what could have been a very difficult game for him.

We didn't concede even with 10 men.

We dug in and got a result with 10 men.

Like it or lump it there was a pretty good atmosphere in the ground tonight. As much as it may pain some having our neighbours back in the same league makes for a great spectacle. Yes there are zoomers who take it way to far outside the ground but "what's it like to have a wash?" when the rain came on was pretty funny.

Just shy of 2,000 Saints fans at an away game in the championship...

Points for improvement:

Link up play between midfield and lone striker...McMullan did well initially but seemed to fade a bit when Thommo got left increasingly isolated. Someone from midfield needs to get forward early to support as Thommo won his fair share of headers.

Clearing the lines when necessary. A couple of instances where we had poor clearances in the first half which only invited more pressure...

Individuals who weren't quite 100% in terms of performance.

Posters who are so negative it is painful to read their comments at times...cheer up we could have folded and been hammered but we didn't.

There were a few moves with good football played but I agree we need to impose our style more rather than being dictated to. It will take a wee while but I think we have the makings of a reasonable team. Morton played relatively well and will be thinking they should have won in retrospect...we had a few decisions go against us but still stuck in and kept fighting....

Thought we did okay tonight. Gallagher and McMullan will be great for us eventually but young and inexperienced so they will be up and down all season.

Langfield goodwin Agnew Thompson every good team needs a decent spine.

We need a centre half.

We need a striker to score.

Don't think we will win more than we loose this season.

Not entirely sure if Murray has got it at this level with our team.

Time will tell.

Langfield was excellent, made three or four outstanding saves. Some poor finishing by Morton though, the loss of our top scorer/best player from last season (McManus) has hit us hard.

Slating Goodwin but yet praising your own team efforts on McMullan

Who would thought it

You're right about 1 thing

Both teams are pish

Slating Goodwin but yet praising your own team efforts on McMullan

Who would thought it

You're right about 1 thing

Both teams are pish

Not praising fouls on McMullan, the one that seemed to have the most impact was a professional foul, which got the booking it deserved - any defender would have done the same. Goodwin just batters into everything, usually with elbows flying - he'll get his share of reds this season as usual.

Two Morton players taken off injured after challenges from St Mirren players, and a St Mirren player sent off for a wreckless tackle. Decide for yourself which team were the dirtier.

although we are missing a natural left mid

i would like to see mc mullan AND Gallagher behind Thompson

langy

Watson baird Kelly

goody

morgan mallan mc mullan

agnew

Gallagher

thompson

Edited by jama

Guest TPAFKATS

Not praising fouls on McMullan, the one that seemed to have the most impact was a professional foul, which got the booking it deserved - any defender would have done the same. Goodwin just batters into everything, usually with elbows flying - he'll get his share of reds this season as usual.

Two Morton players taken off injured after challenges from St Mirren players, and a St Mirren player sent off for a wreckless tackle. Decide for yourself which team were the dirtier.

Professional foul- surely that's a red then not a yellow?

Goodwin was the victim of a shocking challenge from mcluskey (?) that should've been a straight red. Throwing a protective arm/elbow up seemed reasonable.

Your previous post stated the red fir Conlan was harsh given your good view of it. Why are you now calling it a (w)reckless challenge?

Thompson's goal should have stood

Conlan challenge was a red card in 2015

Team looked a bit lightweight in open play, especially down LHS

Gallagher gives us more movement upfront than Thompson - the team needs to be rejigged if we want to play both of them at the same time. If we can only play one I'd start with Gallagher and use Thompson as a sub when the opposition is not so fresh.

Guest TPAFKATS

Thompson's goal should have stood

Conlan challenge was a red card in 2015

Team looked a bit lightweight in open play, especially down LHS

Gallagher gives us more movement upfront than Thompson - the team needs to be rejigged if we want to play both of them at the same time. If we can only play one I'd start with Gallagher and use Thompson as a sub when the opposition is not so fresh.

Think we need to play a striker with a presence to hold ball up, play off others and also get on the end if crosses. Thompson won't do it for 90 minutes all season, but I think Gallagher is a different player. One that needs to off the main striker, like McGowan did.

We were the better team in every department, good goal, doubtfull sending off. Langfield made some great saves but so did their keepers, specially the sub keeper. We lost 2 points tonight, they had a lot of the ball but huffed and puffed but never really created anything. If we get a bit less bad luck and poor ref decisions we'll be in the play offs at the end of the season. Murray will get us going, he has experience at this level and knows what's required

Edited by St Michael

Think we need to play a striker with a presence to hold ball up, play off others and also get on the end if crosses. Thompson won't do it for 90 minutes all season, but I think Gallagher is a different player. One that needs to off the main striker, like McGowan did.

I think Gallagher looks more mobile and athletic than McGowan. Outside of set plays I don't see Thompson scoring many goals this season which is why I'd prefer to use him as a substitute in games where we're only playing one striker.