Previous "big Name" Signings

Having gone over my earlier post, I don't think I missed anyone during that period of 11 seasons but I'm willing to be corrected.

By my reckoning, in that period the club's spend and returns were...

Total paid £2,838,000

Total received £3,778,500

Which gave a net transfer surplus of £940,500

Which, if accurate, means we cannot blame the club's 'big spending' on transfer fees as a major cause for concern, back in the days when clubs like ourselves paid big money for guys. Edited by pozbaird

Clubs living within their means eh... Boo!

But St. Mirren were living within their means even with that bid.

The bid was funded by raking in huge amounts of cash selling players.

It was also in the days pre Bosman and when the gap in wages between the rich and poor, the gap between Scotland and England wasn't as great.

St. Mirren broke the Scottish transfer record back in 1979 by outbidding Celtic both on the transfer fee and in wages.

Unthinkable now - but nonetheless, we were still living within our means back then!

But St. Mirren were living within their means even with that bid.

The bid was funded by raking in huge amounts of cash selling players.

It was also in the days pre Bosman and when the gap in wages between the rich and poor, the gap between Scotland and England wasn't as great.

St. Mirren broke the Scottish transfer record back in 1979 by outbidding Celtic both on the transfer fee and in wages.

Unthinkable now - but nonetheless, we were still living within our means back then!

I must be missing something??

I am not disputing the figures of £940k surplus, so how did we all have a bucket with Save the Saints? Said on here earlier about Victor and Archiebald and the likes. We must have been paying a fortune on wages then, the club almost went bust a mere 5 years later after the 87 cup win.