Bottom at Christmas

Guest TPAFKATS
More likely it will be because the players weren't good enough. More time on the training pitch is what they require. It would certainly do them more good than reading a forum. 

So time spent on the training pitch is better for enhancing the abilities of footballers than time spent reading football forums.

That's insightful. Have you thought of publishing a coaching manual, or did you read this in Malky's leather bound manuscript?

A lot of people on here have very short memories. In our relegation season in 2014/15, we were 8 points ahead of ross county in January. After 18 games, they had less points, 10, than we have now. Their bad run continued into February, and they had only 12 points from 24 games. They then went on a great run and stayed up comfortably.

The situation is there are 5 teams down near the bottom; through our own inadequacies we have contrived to give these teams between a 7 and 9 point gap. We have I believe the best squad of all these teams, so as long as the players play to their ability and the experienced players show leadership, and there are signs that this may be improving slightly recently, then we should be capable of scrabbling above a couple of other teams to survive.

Smile ☺

We are in trouble with half the season gone but we have the ability to turn things round. One thing we need to do with clever PR is to get the other teams nervous of us . I remember John Brown at Dundee did this to us a few seasons ago and very nearly succeeded. It sounded over the top at times but it had me worried. Who better to come out with "we're coming to get you " threats than our CEO Tony Fitzpatrick who appears to be comfortable making statements a bit away from the norm

2 minutes ago, Oldfellow said:

We are in trouble with half the season gone but we have the ability to turn things round. One thing we need to do with clever PR is to get the other teams nervous of us . I remember John Brown at Dundee did this to us a few seasons ago and very nearly succeeded. It sounded over the top at times but it had me worried. Who better to come out with "we're coming to get you " threats than our CEO Tony Fitzpatrick who appears to be comfortable making statements a bit away from the norm

'We're coming to get you, and we will, by 2019'.

- Tony Fitzpatrick.

A lot of people on here have very short memories. In our relegation season in 2014/15, we were 8 points ahead of ross county in January. After 18 games, they had less points, 10, than we have now. Their bad run continued into February, and they had only 12 points from 24 games. They then went on a great run and stayed up comfortably.

They also had a billionaire chairman who invested a six figure sum of his own money in the playing squad in January. Unsurprisingly they improved from that point onwards.

We didn't and don't have that luxury.

1 minute ago, TopCat said:

They also had a billionaire chairman who invested a six figure sum of his own money in the playing squad in January. Unsurprisingly they improved from that point onwards.

We didn't and don't have that luxury.

Huh? St Mirren have £9k kindly donated by the mugs at SMiSA, under the promise that the £9k will save the season. 

2 hours ago, Hendo said:

The situation is there are 5 teams down near the bottom; through our own inadequacies we have contrived to give these teams between a 7 and 9 point gap. We have I believe the best squad of all these teams, so as long as the players play to their ability and the experienced players show leadership, and there are signs that this may be improving slightly recently, then we should be capable of scrabbling above a couple of other teams to survive.

Smile ☺

There is another way of looking at it too.

The games we have played are in the past. Forget them and consider this.

If the season started on Saturday, and was 18 weeks long, are we seriously saying we cant possibly earn 7 or 8 points more than at least one part time team in that time? THAT is the nature of the problem we are staring at. Not what Gilmour did or did not do to Danny, not how many f**king board members SMISA has, not the sacking of Rae or the signing of Hutton.

We can whine and bleat about form so far all we like. We can even, bizarrely, blame our community problems. I however prefer not to live like TC or Dicko. I prefer to wallow in misery once the battle is actually finished. THAT is the absolute minimum requirement for a winning mentality and I sincerely hope Jack is able to successfully impress that upon the players on a daily basis.

It is the utter inability of fans to focus on what is important which staggers me most. It is the lack of resilience of fans which takes my breath away. It is their caustic attacks on all other more stable suporters as deluded f**kwits which should be challenged wherever it occurs.

We are about to witness history in the next 5 months. Either we will be relegated with half the supporters crying like f**king jessies since August or we will witness a comeback that we will probably be talking about for 30 years or more. Do we want to face this like adults or like children?

Do we accept the challenge and support our team to the death or do we sit and cower like pathetic OF fans when they dont win every game?

I know what I would rather do.

Edited by oaksoft

2 hours ago, Hendo said:

But when we managed to get 7 points (I don't think we ever made it to 8) ahead of Ross County, they still had 3 games in hand.

But as you say, we have a squad capable of closing the gap. We just need to get a bit of momentum.

Edited by ScotstounSaint

1 hour ago, oaksoft said:

There is another way of looking at it too.

The games we have played are in the past. Forget them and consider this.

If the season started on Saturday, and was 18 weeks long, are we seriously saying we cant possibly earn 7 or 8 points more than at least one part time team in that time? THAT is the nature of the problem we are staring at. Not what Gilmour did or did not do to Danny, not how many f**king board members SMISA has, not the sacking of Rae or the signing of Hutton.

We can whine and bleat about form so far all we like. We can even, bizarrely, blame our community problems. I however prefer not to live like TC or Dicko. I prefer to wallow in misery once the battle is actually finished. THAT is the absolute minimum requirement for a winning mentality and I sincerely hope Jack is able to successfully impress that upon the players on a daily basis.

It is the utter inability of fans to focus on what is important which staggers me most. It is the lack of resilience of fans which takes my breath away. It is their caustic attacks on all other more stable suporters as deluded f**kwits which should be challenged wherever it occurs.

We are about to witness history in the next 5 months. Either we will be relegated with half the supporters crying like f**king jessies since August or we will witness a comeback that we will probably be talking about for 30 years or more. Do we want to face this like adults or like children?

Do we accept the challenge and support our team to the death or do we sit and cower like pathetic OF fans when they dont win every game?

I know what I would rather do.

So do I. You'd rather ignore all the problems, hope that they miraculously sort themselves and when they don't you'll wallow in self pity. :rolleyes: 

6 hours ago, oaksoft said:

I dont see how any of this is relevant to our current plight because it infers that had all these teams survived that our battle would be easier. Past events only control the present and future when you allow them to by psyching yourself out.

^^^^^^^ Better at waffle than understanding the probability of our current plight. :lol:

Doesn't understand football or anything outside of his "scientific" world. :1eye

Anyway, back in the real world, can't find odds on us staying up as I think it might be worth a bet. (Small bet right enough)

40 minutes ago, faraway saint said:

^^^^^^^ Better at waffle than understanding the probability of our current plight. :lol:

Doesn't understand football or anything outside of his "scientific" world. :1eye

Anyway, back in the real world, can't find odds on us staying up as I think it might be worth a bet. (Small bet right enough)

I obviously understand probability considerably better than you do.

1 hour ago, oaksoft said:

I obviously understand probability considerably better than you do.

I'm with you on this one, Oaky, but why have you been awake for the past few hours? Insomniacs are us? I know about the other two.

If St.Mirren can strengthen the squad a bit, of course they can stay up. Plenty time and matches. History doesn't always repeat itself. Oops there goes another rubber tree plant.

24 minutes ago, RickMcD said:

I'm with you on this one, Oaky, but why have you been awake for the past few hours? Insomniacs are us? I know about the other two.

If St.Mirren can strengthen the squad a bit, of course they can stay up. Plenty time and matches. History doesn't always repeat itself. Oops there goes another rubber tree plant.

No one has said history will repeat itself? :wacko:

The stats provided are proof that the vast majority, far more than I realised, of teams who are stuck at the bottom get relegated.

I would think most supporters are concerned at our current situation as relegation will be very costly for the club.

What can we do, nothing but support and hope.  

I would wager all the teams who were relegated had the same hope. :rolleyes:

Edited by faraway saint

1 hour ago, RickMcD said:

We bought too many cakes and I put in an admirable shift to try and get the last vestiges of walnut and cherry cakes (yes plural) down before they ran out of date. If only we had bought some anti acid tablets too. It felt heroic at the time but not so much now. I think it might have been the most stupid thing I have ever done but I can console myself that at least I understand probability. Chronic heartburn is temporary right?

Edited by oaksoft

Too much long term speculation and blind hope at play here.

to put it simply if we go double digit points behind the team above us then we would need approx five positive results (three wins and two draws), and for them to loose four and at best draw one for us to catch them.

just concentrate on the team above you and try to get a positive result every week, and hope they loose. A win against a Morton side who blow hot and cold could start something if the team above loose. However should we loose to Morton, and one or two teams above us go double digit points ahead then our form this season, and their respective form so far would indicate we would be unlikely to go on a run that could overturn that deficit.

so far we have won two games, we remain for all the warm words of hope, improvement etc still the worst team in the league by three to four results. If that comparison to the team above us sees us slip out to five to six results worse off it will be time to plan for a much reduced incone and cashflow at the Paisley 2021, which would see people loose their jobs and facilities cut or closed.

to say there is a lot riding on this Hogmanay fixture would be stating the bleedin obvious. We need to start a new seventeen year period of dominance to literally save the club befire this year is out. I hope... (contrary to most of the bollocks posted on here suggesting otherwise) that Ross and the squad find it within themselves to not let the gap with the next team grow to double digits. The consequences for the club we love and so many have invested in do not bear thinking about.

COYS

Betvictor are offering the following odds on finishing bottom. Not the same as being relegated obviously, but the closest I can see....

St Mirren 1/3
Dumbarton 7/1
Ayr 8/1
Dunfermline 9/1
Queen of the South 12/1

4 minutes ago, ScotstounSaint said:

Betvictor are offering the following odds on finishing bottom. Not the same as being relegated obviously, but the closest I can see....

St Mirren 1/3
Dumbarton 7/1
Ayr 8/1
Dunfermline 9/1
Queen of the South 12/1

Stupid bookies, what do they know. :rolleyes:

PS What do these stupid bookies base these odds on? :lol:

Edited by faraway saint

5 minutes ago, faraway saint said:

Oh goody, I like this game.

They get hunners right, that's why their rich. :lol:

Of course they get things wrong, but they get more right then wrong. :P

I'm having money on Ayr United. :D

Wrong horse, Dumbarton at 7-1 is where I'd put my money B).

ETA I meant shull's money.

Edited by Kendo

Anyhow weren't Ross County in a much worse position than us when we got relegated and it was later on in the season with fewer games to go? I'm referring to when we beat them up in Dingwall with Arquinn being sent off and Mallan scoring our winner? Ross County escaped the play offs.

Clearly, the odds on a club being bottom at Christmas and avoiding relegation are slim - as the past 20 years show. Also clearly, none of those sides were the current St Mirren side, facing the sides currently in our division, so the 20 year statistics don't matter a fcuk. Also, according to some, the games we have already played do not matter a fcuk. 

Wow. I'm sold. A brand new season starts against Morton. Then another brand new one starts against Queens.

This is brilliant. Come on ye' Saints.