Scotland Football Club

shull

1 hour ago, shull said:

Well done Northern Ireland.

My Grandfather would have been delighted with that result.

Maybe Karma, after the Scotland fans booed the Northern Ireland national anthem before the match.

At times, we can be a horrible wee nation. We done the same to England then got humped.

Not really frightening the opposition with the abuse.

Likewise my Grandmother.

The booing of national anthems is a disgrace!  What a small minded country we really are!  Embarrassing behaviour from the so called "Fun, cuddly and welcoming Tartan Army"!

Just now, shull said:

Great posts BIGYARDSANDBASHER.

I would love to give you a few LIKES, but unfortunately I cannae 

Because you, and him, abused the whole system.

Your usual, whine when YOU are the problem.

How many likes did you lose when you were binned? :lol:

Hard to find any positives after last night.

Reading numerous reports, all saying the same thing that, for some reason, the wheels have come off the Tartan Army bus.

We've two games before we kick off the tournament against Germany on Friday 14th June.

Gibraltar :rolleyes: away on the 3rd June and Finland at Hampden on Friday the 7th June.

Clarke, who has overall been rightly praised, has to do something to shake the squad up.

That's his job.

As for the players, it's a mystery how "off the boil" they were last night and need to have a long look at themselves this morning. 

Edited by faraway saint

13 hours ago, BigYardsAndBasher said:

Likewise my Grandmother.

The booing of national anthems is a disgrace!  What a small minded country we really are!  Embarrassing behaviour from the so called "Fun, cuddly and welcoming Tartan Army"!

In general you are correct, but you may have noticed that only a couple of the Irish players joined in the singing with their fans. I would also be very surprised if Scotland fans were to boo any other anthem than that despicable ditty. Plenty of proper jeering at the end of each half, deservedly so, for the pathetic display by the Scotland players who have  thrown the towel in from the minute they qualified for the Euros. I do not exempt the manager from  criticism either. 

14 hours ago, BigYardsAndBasher said:

Likewise my Grandmother.

Although generally abandoned in the late 18th century, the following still rankles with many.

Lord, grant that Marshal Wade
May by thy mighty aid
Victory bring;
May he sedition hush,
and like a torrent rush
Rebellious Scots to crush!
God save the King!

17 minutes ago, StanleySaint said:

Although generally abandoned in the late 18th century, the following still rankles with many.

May by thy mighty aid
Victory bring;
May he sedition hush,
and like a torrent rush
God save the King!

Didn't them nice Irish BOO when our anthem was played or is that ok with the nationalists among us? 

1 hour ago, Saint@Johnstone said:

In general you are correct, but you may have noticed that only a couple of the Irish players joined in the singing with their fans. I would also be very surprised if Scotland fans were to boo any other anthem than that despicable ditty. Plenty of proper jeering at the end of each half, deservedly so, for the pathetic display by the Scotland players who have  thrown the towel in from the minute they qualified for the Euros. I do not exempt the manager from  criticism either. 

If my memory serves me well, Scotland fans "booed" the national anthem of Liechtenstein.  Their national anthem has the same musical melody as the national anthem of England and Northern Ireland I believe but with different words.

I personally believe booing other countries national anthems are a "no-no" but that's just my view and I  thoroughly understand that won't be other people's thoughts on the matter.

I do take your point that not all of the Northern Ireland team/management sang it.

1 hour ago, StanleySaint said:

May by thy mighty aid
Victory bring;
May he sedition hush,
and like a torrent rush
God save the King!

I understand the feelings surrounding this verse.  My view is as the late, great Roy Williamson once wrote "Those days are past now and in the past they must remain."

I'm also a fab of something that another great Scot, Hamish Henderson, once said which was something along the lines of "Love your country for what it is, not because you hate another one."

My personal view is "God Save the King/Queen" should only be performed at an event when the monarch is present at and England and Northern Ireland should have their own individual "national anthems".  All of that is probably for a different thread though.

I also wish "Scots Wha Hae" or "Dark Lochnagar" was the Scottish national anthem but that again is probably more suited to another thread also.

4 minutes ago, BigYardsAndBasher said:

If my memory serves me well, Scotland fans "booed" the national anthem of Liechtenstein.  Their national anthem has the same musical melody as the national anthem of England and Northern Ireland I believe but with different words.

I personally believe booing other countries national anthems are a "no-no" but that's just my view and I  thoroughly understand that won't be other people's thoughts on the matter.

I do take your point that not all of the Northern Ireland team/management sang it.

I understand the feelings surrounding this verse.  My view is as the late, great Roy Williamson once wrote "Those days are past now and in the past they must remain."

I'm also a fab of something that another great Scot, Hamish Henderson, once said which was something along the lines of "Love your country for what it is, not because you hate another one."

My personal view is "God Save the King/Queen" should only be performed at an event when the monarch is present at and England and Northern Ireland should have their own individual "national anthems".  All of that is probably for a different thread though.

I also wish "Scots Wha Hae" or "Dark Lochnagar" was the Scottish national anthem but that again is probably more suited to another thread also.

Well said. 👍

19 hours ago, BigYardsAndBasher said:

Likewise my Grandmother.

Really?

Verse 6?

Lord grant that Marshal Wade, May by thy mighty aid,

Victory bring.

May he sedition hush, And like a torrent rush,

Rebellious Scots to crush

May god get rid of the king (and his hangers on)                                                                                                                                                                                                                   

OK. Maybe I made the last bit up but I would NEVER advertise the actual line.

I don't think I've heard them boo any other Nation anthem recently.

Edited by stlucifer

National anthems are a load of shite. Why is it that we have to endure them before football or rugby internationals ? Most anthems are pathetic dirges harking back to historical battles or wars that we don't need to be reminded of - exactly the same shite that we hate (but have to listen to) when Rangers come to Paisley. 

Completely unnecessary, a waste of time, and an opportunity for cretins in the crowd to shame their own nation.

Get them to feck !!

Just my opinion, of course.  :)

4 hours ago, Wilbur said:

National anthems are a load of shite. Why is it that we have to endure them before football or rugby internationals ? Most anthems are pathetic dirges harking back to historical battles or wars that we don't need to be reminded of - exactly the same shite that we hate (but have to listen to) when Rangers come to Paisley. 

Completely unnecessary, a waste of time, and an opportunity for cretins in the crowd to shame their own nation.

Get them to feck !!

I share your opinion.  👍

And… as for those of a (Scot’s) nationalist disposition…

… it should be noted the the daft Princes’ followers centuries ago, sang the same song with minor amendments, so that…

…Jacobite beliefs were demonstrated in an alternative verse used during the same period:[45]

God bless the prince, I pray,
Charlie I mean;
That Scotland we may see
Freed from vile Presbyt'ry,
Both George and his Feckie,
Ever so, Amen.

i”m sure this helps.  🤓

4 hours ago, Wilbur said:

Get them to feck !!

I love them! Also there's something magical about a rousing rendition of Flower of Scotland before the game. I also like to hear other nations' anthems. :)  

17 hours ago, antrin said:

I share your opinion.  👍

And… as for those of a (Scot’s) nationalist disposition…

… it should be noted the the daft Princes’ followers centuries ago, sang the same song with minor amendments, so that…

…Jacobite beliefs were demonstrated in an alternative verse used during the same period:[45]

Charlie I mean;
That Scotland we may see
Freed from vile Presbyt'ry,
Both George and his Feckie,
Ever so, Amen.

i”m sure this helps.  🤓

And if that were a national anthem of Scotland I'm certain it would goad a reaction from our southern brethren, but it's not, so your point is invalid.