Coronavirus

faraway saint

1 minute ago, BuddieinEK said:
21 minutes ago, oaksoft said:
Ricky Gervais summed it up really well.
The world is full of people who are taking hard-core positions on absolutely everything based on the square root of f**k all actual knowledge or a 5 minute Google search.
Their positions are not well thought out and simple questions expose this and they then turn to abuse to defend themselves. It's a ridiculous state of affairs.
I blame our schooling system which actively suppresses individuality and quashes any questioning or scrutiny of authority. People then leave school unable to debate properly or even discuss contentious issues without fighting and this rarely gets corrected. Don't even get me started on the issue of so many school leavers unable to understand basic home finances, unable to write properly, unable to spell in many cases and unable to understand the basics of their chosen subject when they start university. The standard of submitted work at university level (even amongst the best students) needs to be seen to be believed (glad I'm out of academia now). If I was king, I'd sack every school teacher and start again from scratch. An almost worthless profession in its current form.
Anyway, that's my 2am rant over. emoji3.png

For spelling I excuse teachers and blame mobile phone operators who thought it wise to charge per letter at the xkluzn ov vwlz!

Whit? I am proud to say that I am not old enough to have gone through that.

I didn't buy a mobile phone until pricing became child's play to understand. I remember them charging differently based on the network the person you were calling was using soo I just refused to play that game.

If you are whooshing me I'm going to be very annoyed young fella me lad. And a bit embarassed too.

Log off then, you've got that many people on ignore, dismissing everyone as idiots and generally just being your usual pompous self, you add next to nothing anyway.
No mates isn't an exaggeration for you. 

I take exception to this dressing down being put to Oaky - you forgot to mention he dismissed people creepy and sleazy too...

Unsurprisingly more alcohol has been "downed" in the last year.

Lots of people had nothing else to do, no work to go to and simply were fed up so turned to the bevvy.

More alcohol related deaths and illness's are a result of this year long binge.

The governments should open up the pubs as a way to improve the health of the general public. :cheers

6 hours ago, oaksoft said:

Whit? I am proud to say that I am not old enough to have gone through that.

I didn't buy a mobile phone until pricing became child's play to understand. I remember them charging differently based on the network the person you were calling was using soo I just refused to play that game.

If you are whooshing me I'm going to be very annoyed young fella me lad. And a bit embarassed too.

Texts were charged at 10/12p per 140 character message and most phones at the time were either PAYG or you had a set number of SMS messages you could send per month on contract. If you went over your 140 character limit, you would incur another text charge so people would naturally cram as much conversation as they could into that limited space.

Nowadays, texts and phonecalls are not even factored into billing, everything is unlimited texts and minutes, they were surprisingly easy not to charge against when 'data' became the money spinner of choice.

Edited by djchapsticks

17 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

Texts were charged at 10/12p per 140 character message and most phones at the time were either PAYG or you had a set number of SMS messages you could send per month on contract. If you went over your 140 character limit, you would incur another text charge so people would naturally cram as much conversation as they could into that limited space.

Nowadays, texts and phonecalls are not even factored into billing, everything is unlimited texts and minutes, they were surprisingly easy not to charge against when 'data' became the money spinner of choice.

Texting from abroad was, at one point, 50p a text.

I recall texting my daughter from Tenerife and my last £2.67 was down to 17p before I realised.

Even now data is getting cheaper and cheaper with some brilliant deals, depending on what you require.

Personally I don't use much data, at work I use their broadband and, obviously, the same at home.

I currently only pay £4.50 a month for 2GB per month, whereas my son, don't know exactly what he pays, has a 20GB per month deal, which reflects the time he spends "oot and aboot" I suppose. 

12 hours ago, oaksoft said:

I might be mis-reading the article but the author claims there were 3,358,814 deaths in the US with an excess of 503,976 and provides a link to a JAMA article as evidence. That JAMA article actually states that there were 2 801 439 deaths in the last year with an excess of 522 368.

Also, you can't credibly compare absolute deaths with previous years because population growth makes that illogical. The population of the US has more than doubled since 1955 for example and has more than  trebled since 1900. It's a fatal error to any analysis whatsoever. The author states this so he understands his error but he doesn't correct the heading. The heading and the premise of the article is rendered meaningless at this point.

Someone is either manipulating data or has made a mistake.

Maybe it's me.

I think you’re putting up some barriers here to getting and reporting data. Yes population growth will impact like for like statistics along with any deep dive into death causality in the US but there is enough in the data stream for this to be newsworthy.

It shouldn’t really be a surprise to anyone that Covid has hammered into excess deaths in countries like the US & we can argue all day on the interpretation of the figures but the overarching message behind these stories is very clear IMO. 

9 hours ago, djchapsticks said:

Ah yes I do remember that now.

My memory.......pfffft.

3 hours ago, bazil85 said:

I think you’re putting up some barriers here to getting and reporting data. Yes population growth will impact like for like statistics along with any deep dive into death causality in the US but there is enough in the data stream for this to be newsworthy.

It shouldn’t really be a surprise to anyone that Covid has hammered into excess deaths in countries like the US & we can argue all day on the interpretation of the figures but the overarching message behind these stories is very clear IMO. 

If you don't care about whether the headline or the article is actually true or not then there's not much to discuss I suppose.

Edited by oaksoft

1 hour ago, oaksoft said:

If you don't care about whether the headline or the article is actually true or not then there's not much to discuss I suppose.

I don’t believe the ‘headline’ which is similarly being reported across multiple news outlets which ultimately links to exponential excess death in the US (mainly linked to Covid) is wrong. Do you? 

I’m struggling to understand what your actual concern is with this story, could you elaborate? 

Edited by bazil85

When I was down the town earlier I drove passed a wee "back street" barber with about 10 people queueing up outside.

Quite why they were so desperate for a haircut to be standing outside for quite some time is beyond me, not as if they have anywhere special to be going.

Never mind, nice to see the local small business's getting some income. 

When I was down the town earlier I drove passed a wee "back street" barber with about 10 people queueing up outside.
Quite why they were so desperate for a haircut to be standing outside for quite some time is beyond me, not as if they have anywhere special to be going.
Never mind, nice to see the local small business's getting some income. 
You'd think they'd wait until their appointment time to save waiting outside in the cold. [emoji848]

I doubt this small establishment had an appointment system, walk in more likely, if you could get in. 
It was cold. [emoji38]
[emoji54]

https://www.gov.scot/publications/coronavirus-covid-19-retail-sector-guidance/pages/close-contact-services/

For close contact services, customer and practitioners should refer to their local Strategic Framework level and associated guidance to understand whether they should seek or provide services. A person who provides a close contact service must not provide that service in a Level 4 area, subject to the exception regarding premises-based hairdressers and barbers which may operate by appointment only from 5 April 2021. If a customer and practitioner are located in areas at different levels, they should default to whichever level is highest, for example:

You'd think they'd wait until their appointment time to save waiting outside in the cold. [emoji848]
Got mine cut today. No appointment needed and only 3 folk in front of me waiting. Ah can feel that cauld wind mair noo though. Brrr.

9 minutes ago, Cookie Monster said:

emoji54.png

https://www.gov.scot/publications/coronavirus-covid-19-retail-sector-guidance/pages/close-contact-services/

For close contact services, customer and practitioners should refer to their local Strategic Framework level and associated guidance to understand whether they should seek or provide services. A person who provides a close contact service must not provide that service in a Level 4 area, subject to the exception regarding premises-based hairdressers and barbers which may operate by appointment only from 5 April 2021. If a customer and practitioner are located in areas at different levels, they should default to whichever level is highest, for example:

:lol:

Aye, tell that piffle to a wee back street barber. :byebye

1 hour ago, Cookie Monster said:

And we wonder why the lockdown is lasting so long. emoji849.png

And why would that be?

Any and all restrictions could be removed tomorrow with almost no repercussions given most of the population and almost all vulnerable people are now vaccinated.

And yet this isn't happening.

Right now, continued restrictions are not based on health data but politics.

Edited by oaksoft

6 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

And why would that be?

Any and all restrictions could be removed tomorrow with almost no repercussions given most of the population and almost all vulnerable people are now vaccinated.

:lol:

Even if this were true, and it's not, it smacks of "we're vaccinated, feck the rest of you, it's open season" which is no surprise with you. 🤡

19 minutes ago, ICC said:

In Cardonald

The P.R Barbers

11h  · 

Hi everyone

I've had the environmental health pay us a spot check today so from tomorrow we are not allowed anymore than 3 people in the shop at the one time there has to be no waiting in the shop and appointments can only be made from 9am till 4pm each day by calling the shop on 07853085535 appointments can not be made through Facebook.

We are sorry for these changes but if we don't comply they will shut us down.

Had a quick look at this "barbers" Facebook page, looks like theirs 4 people work in this shop which is 3 more than the barber's I was talking about yesterday.

I'm assuming, yeah I know, they also cut women's hair? 

The "one man band" shop that was queued out the door would find it logistically difficult to run an appointments only system IMO.

The phone would, going by the queue, would have been ringing on a regular basis and he would had to stop, set out some sort of appointment and try to get back to cutting hair.

I still don't understand the mad rush, it's a men's barbers, these guys seemed to have, as most would probably have only needed a quick No 1 or 2 with a set of clippers/shears. :lol:

12 hours ago, oaksoft said:

And why would that be?

There is still much that isn't known about transmission/ long-term protection with the vaccine and the majority of the "protected" high priority groups have only had the first jab. This claim is simply unfounded, much like last autumn when you claimed "all" restrictions should be lifted. Your view isn't one focused on protecting the vulnerable, the current collective stance across the UK (largely) is, while cautiously moving closer to normality.

In my view it seems lessons have been learned from going too fast in previous re-opening. 

Edited by bazil85

Had a quick look at this "barbers" Facebook page, looks like theirs 4 people work in this shop which is 3 more than the barber's I was talking about yesterday.
I'm assuming, yeah I know, they also cut women's hair? 
The "one man band" shop that was queued out the door would find it logistically difficult to run an appointments only system IMO.
The phone would, going by the queue, would have been ringing on a regular basis and he would had to stop, set out some sort of appointment and try to get back to cutting hair.
I still don't understand the mad rush, it's a men's barbers, these guys seemed to have, as most would probably have only needed a quick No 1 or 2 with a set of clippers/shears. [emoji38]

Had cut my own hair all over with a No4 the other week, so was glad I got an appointment at the barbers on Monday. Only needed the back and sides done with a No2 and shaved properly around the neck at the back. Think it got lost in translation as it looks and feels like a No1. Thank goodness I know it'll all grow back in. [emoji16]

Had cut my own hair all over with a No4 the other week, so was glad I got an appointment at the barbers on Monday. Only needed the back and sides done with a No2 and shaved properly around the neck at the back. Think it got lost in translation as it looks and feels like a No1. Thank goodness I know it'll all grow back in. [emoji16]

It'd be funny if it never. [emoji1787][emoji1787]