The Oscars

shull

5 minutes ago, faraway saint said:

I would do a Will Smith if someone said that type of shit to my face, am I bad? 

Yet you have said some really unpleasant stuff about certain people

a former chairman of St Mirren had to contact a number of people in an attempt to distance himself after inadvertently liking one of your more unpleasant posts

7 minutes ago, beyond our ken said:

a former chairman of St Mirren had to contact a number of people in an attempt to distance himself after inadvertently liking one of your more unpleasant posts

Let it go, it wasn't my finest hour, what would suffice, a written apology, well, this is it, are we ok now, it's been a while? 

PS We are talking about what was said to a woman with an illness, not entirely the same, let's not change the rhetoric here. 

Edited by faraway saint

I would do a Will Smith if someone said that type of shit to my face, am I bad? 
Dunno. Are you?

The point is, Lucy was seemingly objecting to the joking about a medical condition, not that it was directed at Smith's wife while he was sitting next to her.

I don't even know what the "joke" was but that is irrelevant to what I am talking about, as is Smith's reaction.

To me, a jokes a joke, irrespective of subject matter. Abuse is different, although there is sometimes a fine line between them. Tone of voice, the relationship between the people concerned, situation, etc can be determining factors in whether something is a joke or not, as I'm sure you're well aware. If I walked into a pub and said "you're a fat, ugly, baldy c**t" to someone at the bar then I'm OK if it's my mate but not so much if it's a total stranger.

1 hour ago, Slarti said:

Dunno. Are you?

The point is, Lucy was seemingly objecting to the joking about a medical condition, not that it was directed at Smith's wife while he was sitting next to her.

I don't even know what the "joke" was but that is irrelevant to what I am talking about, as is Smith's reaction.

To me, a jokes a joke, irrespective of subject matter. Abuse is different, although there is sometimes a fine line between them. Tone of voice, the relationship between the people concerned, situation, etc can be determining factors in whether something is a joke or not, as I'm sure you're well aware. If I walked into a pub and said "you're a fat, ugly, baldy c**t" to someone at the bar then I'm OK if it's my mate but not so much if it's a total stranger.

Much like Mr Neidham’s Twitter Jokes about Rangers Fans. Something you might just joke about with a close pal who was a Rangers fan, but not to the world at large where the context was lost. If that’s what that was. Have my doubts.

The irony of the Hollywood elites doing there best to distance themselves from toxic masculinity is not lost to many observers today. They live in a bubble where they are pampered like little poodles and start to believe there own press. 
Both can wipe away their tears with bundles of $100 bills 💵 

16 minutes ago, antrin said:

I think the joke attacking an alopecia sufferer was distasteful in that setting.

For those of you preferring light family humour, may I recommend the upcoming, following Scottish tour?

https://www.ents24.com/uk/tour-dates/jerry-sadowitz

I will give his Stirling show a miss.

Just about covers all the posts on here.................:lol:

What began as an on-stage biff between two celebrities over a disrespectful gag quickly became a Thunderdome for increasingly irrelevant arguments, as millions of users experiencing the internet equivalent of a sugar high tried to cram it into whatever their pet issue was at that moment. Was Will Smith’s slap a sadly perfect example of toxic masculinity? Proof of Hollywood’s double standards on bad behaviour? A radical act of civil disobedience against ableism and misogyny? Evidence for structural racism? Evidence against structural racism? Cancel culture? A metaphor for Russia’s invasion of Ukraine? A deliberate distraction from that same invasion? Incontrovertible evidence of how the Holocaust could be allowed to happen? Brexit? Trump? 9/11?

10 hours ago, beyond our ken said:

10 hours ago, faraway saint said:

Let it go, it wasn't my finest hour, what would suffice, a written apology, well, this is it, are we ok now, it's been a while? 

PS We are talking about what was said to a woman with an illness, not entirely the same, let's not change the rhetoric here. 

It's the in thing, wonder of Rock will accept the apology gracefully...............

Will Smith has apologised to Chris Rock after he slapped him at the Oscars, saying his behaviour was "unacceptable and inexcusable".

"I would like to publicly apologise to you, Chris," he said in a statement. "I was out of line and I was wrong."

12 hours ago, faraway saint said:

Who said i was upset at a joke?

I would be upset if someone aimed distasteful comment, in public, at my wife, who was sitting yards from him?

I know you would just sit there, sums you up. :lol:

So… upset at a joke then? 

Aye, like you’d have gotten up and slapped Chris Rock, my a**e 😂

1 hour ago, faraway saint said:

It's the in thing, wonder of Rock will accept the apology gracefully...............

Will Smith has apologised to Chris Rock after he slapped him at the Oscars, saying his behaviour was "unacceptable and inexcusable".

"I would like to publicly apologise to you, Chris," he said in a statement. "I was out of line and I was wrong."

Both were wrong. Simple as that.

16 hours ago, Slarti said:

What about acne?

So if it was targeted at someone you never knew, you'd be fine with it?

14 hours ago, Slarti said:

I'm just trying to find out where Lucy's line is regarding what's an acceptable subject for comedy.

I don't suppose I'll get anything close to a straight answer, though.

I don't see see him denouncing the "heightest" comments about yourself from various people. Maybe, to him, certain subjects are unacceptable for jokes but acceptable for abuse. Or maybe it depends on the target, or the joker/abuser.

I would suggest you are simply trying to justify abuse as comedy. My taste in humour is neither here nor there. I was trying to discuss the reaction of a husband who sat and listened to a guy "slagging off" his wife. I actually didn't find it in the least bit funny even leaving aside the personal aspect of it. If you can't see "the line" then I feel a little sorry for you. 

ETA.

I never suggested I was fine with it in the instance of Will Smith's wife so why would you think I'd be fine with it for anyone else?

Edited by stlucifer

I would suggest you are simply trying to justify abuse as comedy. My tatse in humour is neither here nor there. I was trying to discuss the reaction of a husband who sat and listened to a guy "slagging off" his wife. I actually didn't find it in the least bit funny even leaving aside the personal aspect of it. If you can't see "the line" then I feel a little sorry for you. 
If you read the rest of the the thread you would know that I haven't seen it so I don't know if it was funny/abuse/whatever. That's irrelevant, though, as I'm asking about your assertion that a person's medical conditions should be off the menu for comedy.

7 minutes ago, Slarti said:
14 minutes ago, stlucifer said:
I would suggest you are simply trying to justify abuse as comedy. My tatse in humour is neither here nor there. I was trying to discuss the reaction of a husband who sat and listened to a guy "slagging off" his wife. I actually didn't find it in the least bit funny even leaving aside the personal aspect of it. If you can't see "the line" then I feel a little sorry for you. 

If you read the rest of the the thread you would know that I haven't seen it so I don't know if it was funny/abuse/whatever. That's irrelevant, though, as I'm asking about your assertion that a person's medical conditions should be off the menu for comedy.

Duh. Asked and answered. PUBLIC, personal humiliation is NOT funny.

Hope this helps. 

Maybe you should seek out the clip so you can actually know why Smith would have been upset.

Edited by stlucifer

Duh. Asked and answered. PUBLIC, personal humiliation is NOT funny.
Hope this helps. 
Maybe you should seek out the clip so you can actually know why Smith would have been upset.
So personal humiliation is funny if it's in private?

Public personal humiliation is not necessarily related to a medical condition. You were talking about medical conditions.

I don't need to see it, it's irrelevant to the part of your post that I'm talking about.

As I already said, I didn't expect anything like a straight answer, so I'm not surprised.

Anyway, what about that acne?

5 minutes ago, Slarti said:

So personal humiliation is funny if it's in private?

Public personal humiliation is not necessarily related to a medical condition. You were talking about medical conditions.

I don't need to see it, it's irrelevant to the part of your post that I'm talking about.

As I already said, I didn't expect anything like a straight answer, so I'm not surprised.

Anyway, what about that acne?

You're obviously just arguing for arguments sake so this is my last interaction.

As we were discussing a public humiliation there was no need for me to mention any other situation. And. By definition. Private humiliation isn't humiliation. It is also easier to react as there is no one else around.

Also. I find it pathetic that you try to justify your untenable position by deflection. IF you haven't seen the clip then you shouldn't really comment on the reaction.

You're obviously just arguing for arguments sake so this is my last interaction.
As we were discussing a public humiliation there was no need for me to mention any other situation. And. By definition. Private humiliation isn't humiliation. It is also easier to react as there is no one else around.
Also. I find it pathetic that you try to justify your untenable position by deflection. IF you haven't seen the clip then you shouldn't really comment on the reaction.

Not at all. I asked a simple question and you've avoided answering it in any coherent manner.

Definition of humiliate from the first result on Google (from Websters):
"to reduce (someone) to a lower position in one's own eyes or others' eyes".
So, it can be in private.

If, by your assertion humiliation needs to be public, then what was the need of you putting "PUBLIC"?

Ah, reacting differently in private, like domestic violence?

I haven't deflected from anything, it's you that's avoiding answering a simple question.

That's why I never commented on the reaction.

All humour has at it;s root some level of misfortune, either at the expense of the teller of the joke or the subject.  If you make it personal about another person's situation then you should be prepared for the fall-out.  People can talk about physical violence never being justified, but not everyone has the ability to use their words as a response.  

That being said, Will Smith and Chris Rock are a pair of pr*cks and the only pity is they both didn't get a slap as they annoy people in equal measure.  Nice to see Sean Coombs advocate sorting it out like family, maybe with a wee drive-by?

28 minutes ago, beyond our ken said:

All humour has at it;s root some level of misfortune, either at the expense of the teller of the joke or the subject.  If you make it personal about another person's situation then you should be prepared for the fall-out.  People can talk about physical violence never being justified, but not everyone has the ability to use their words as a response.  

That being said, Will Smith and Chris Rock are a pair of pr*cks and the only pity is they both didn't get a slap as they annoy people in equal measure.  Nice to see Sean Coombs advocate sorting it out like family, maybe with a wee drive-by?

Smith should Hand back the Oscar. Don’t hire Rock again.

2 hours ago, Slarti said:

Not at all. I asked a simple question and you've avoided answering it in any coherent manner.

Definition of humiliate from the first result on Google (from Websters):
"to reduce (someone) to a lower position in one's own eyes or others' eyes".
So, it can be in private.

If, by your assertion humiliation needs to be public, then what was the need of you putting "PUBLIC"?

Ah, reacting differently in private, like domestic violence?

I haven't deflected from anything, it's you that's avoiding answering a simple question.

That's why I never commented on the reaction.

I feel this uneccessary but I would say that making a joke about acne, or any other condition in general is probably not going to be  funny but, if an individual decides to try then, in itself, that isn't humiliating any person. It's a general, though, IMO, misguided observation. Directing a nasty comment about a certain individual isn't funny. It's abuse.

But, I'm sure you knew that but enjoy an old ding dong. I've lowered myself by entertaining you and your incessant  need to argue so I guess, you won. Now that is the end to me contributing to your need.

I feel this uneccessary but I would say that making a joke about acne, or any other condition in general is probably not going to be  funny but, if an individual decides to try then, in itself, that isn't humiliating any person. It's a general, though, IMO, misguided observation. Directing a nasty comment about a certain individual isn't funny. It's abuse.
But, I'm sure you knew that but enjoy an old ding dong. I've lowered myself by entertaining you and your incessant  need to argue so I guess, you won. Now that is the end to me contributing to your need.

Whether or not someone is humiliated is a personal thing, so a "joke" about acne might be humiliating to someone. At least we now know that YOUR line is somewhere between acne and alopecia. Now, where, in your opinion, are the lines between humour and abuse and between nasty and not nasty.

I've no idea if it was a "nasty comment" or not as I haven't seen/heard it (pretty sure I've mentioned that already). Again, that is irrelevant to this point.

Anyway, at least you've admitted, in a round about way, that your initial comment about not making "jokes" about a person's medical condition is false.

Now, let's see if it really was your last interaction/end of you contributing.

The "joke" was specific and targeted.

It named a person sitting in the audience and indirectly referenced an illness she has.

Inappropriate.

All the postulating on here is moot.

It was NOT a general joke referencing a condition... It was personal.

That, especially in public, is wholly unacceptable unless the target has been pre warned and is fine with it.

Sent from my HD1913 using Tapatalk