Jump to content

Independence in Scotland & Northern Ireland


Rascal
 Share

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, waldorf34 said:

But the Tories rule the UK with less than50%

I may well be wrong, but I thought that, similarly… SNP is only part of the ruling authority in Scotland, as it failed to achieve a sufficient majority.  Ie more than 50% of the votes.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites


I may well be wrong, but I thought that, similarly… SNP is only part of the ruling authority in Scotland, as it failed to achieve a sufficient majority.  Ie more than 50% of the votes.
 
You're not wrong. 47.7% of constituency vote and 40.3% of regional vote in the last Scottish Parliament election. 45% in the last GE.
Link to comment
Share on other sites

A vote for the SNP used to be a vote in favour of an independent Scotland. 

This is no longer true. Now a vote for SNP in a Holyrood election gets you the Green Party's political agenda. The tail is wagging the dog.

If I had wanted the Green Party's political agenda I would have voted for the Greens not the SNP. Patrick Harvie and Lorna Slater are politically naive morons. For as long as Nicola Sturgeon and the SNP are in a pact with these two plonkers she can kiss my vote goodbye. 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, antrin said:

I may well be wrong, but I thought that, similarly… SNP is only part of the ruling authority in Scotland, as it failed to achieve a sufficient majority.  Ie more than 50% of the votes.

 

It's very difficult to achieve the 50% mark in Scottish  elections for Holyrood 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

 

2 hours ago, waldorf34 said:

It's very difficult to achieve the 50% mark in Scottish  elections for Holyrood 

I'm not sure how difficult it will be now we have pretty much confirmed the UK isn't a voluntary union. That (coupled with the catastrophic Tory performance) must raise alarm bells with a lot of voters, surely?

SNP & Greens by my calculations got just under 49% of the constituency votes and SNP, Greens & Alba got over 50% of the weighted regional votes in 2021. I get the differences between a GE & SPE but the swing needed to a pro-independence majority seems very achievable. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 minutes ago, bazil85 said:

 

I'm not sure how difficult it will be now we have pretty much confirmed the UK isn't a voluntary union. That (coupled with the catastrophic Tory performance) must raise alarm bells with a lot of voters, surely?

SNP & Greens by my calculations got just under 49% of the constituency votes and SNP, Greens & Alba got over 50% of the weighted regional votes in 2021. I get the differences between a GE & SPE but the swing needed to a pro-independence majority seems very achievable. 

Keep telling yourself that, heard it all before. :byebye

PS If wee Nicky put as much effort into running the country as she does for independence we'd all be in a better place. 

Edited by faraway saint
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, guinness said:

The majority of Scots will never vote for Independance. Too cowardly and Monarchist to stand in their own two feet. There is only one way to achieve Independence and I do not think there is an appetite for armed conflict .

 

The willingness to embrace the democratic process is what separates us from the Irish.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 minutes ago, guinness said:

The majority of Scots will never vote for Independance. Too cowardly and Monarchist to stand in their own two feet. There is only one way to achieve Independence and I do not think there is an appetite for armed conflict .

 

Exactly the reason I'd rather eat my own shite than vote for Independence.

THIS attitude is rife, and IF there is anther referendum the bitterness will, once again, come pouring out.

As for your idiotic suggestion for "armed conflict", FFS! 

It's a "NO" from me. 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Talking of 50%, that's the amount that, according to a new poll, would vote for the SNP if it meant a mandate for independence with 33% saying they wouldn't. Only 41% or those polled voted for the SNP at the last GE.

Source: The Daily Ranger

A new opinion poll has found that half of Scots would vote SNP in the next general election if a victory for the party could lead to Scottish independence.
According to the Find Out Now survey it found that of the 1,006 Scots asked 51 per cent would vote for Nicola Sturgeon's party if their vote would be used as a mandate to negotiate independence with the UK Government, while a third said they would not.

Of those asked, 412 of whom voted SNP in the last general election, 50 per cent said they would vote SNP at the next general election if a victory for them could lead to Scotland leaving the UK.
A third (33 per cent) said they would not, while the remainder said they do not know or prefer not to say.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, faraway saint said:

Keep telling yourself that, heard it all before. :byebye

PS If wee Nicky put as much effort into running the country as she does for independence we'd all be in a better place. 

What are you talking about? The swing needed is tiny & pro independence parties have had over 50% of the vote share before. 
 

Would we aye? Why aren’t England & Wales in a ‘better place’ then given the parties in charge aren’t pushing for independence?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, faraway saint said:

Exactly the reason I'd rather eat my own shite than vote for Independence.

THIS attitude is rife, and IF there is anther referendum the bitterness will, once again, come pouring out.

As for your idiotic suggestion for "armed conflict", FFS! 

It's a "NO" from me. 

 

It’s from people with extreme views on each side. Utter nonsense to suggest it’s just independent supporters. 
 

Most people generally stick with the political & economic arguments. And I am struggling to see either argument for staying in the union right now… 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, bazil85 said:

What are you talking about? The swing needed is tiny & pro independence parties have had over 50% of the vote share before. 
 

Would we aye? Why aren’t England & Wales in a ‘better place’ then given the parties in charge aren’t pushing for independence?

I'm talking about the same old shite we heard years ago.

Are you really ignoring the money spent by wee Nicky on ths independance shite couldn't be put to better use?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, bazil85 said:

It’s from people with extreme views on each side. Utter nonsense to suggest it’s just independent supporters. 
 

Most people generally stick with the political & economic arguments. And I am struggling to see either argument for staying in the union right now… 

 

WHERE, exactly, did I say extreme views were only on one side?

This is your usual approach, you try to change the main point of a post to suit your simple approach to things. 

I'm glad you agree the post I quoted was extreme, in the extreme TBH. 

Your last sentence is very reasonable, well done. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, faraway saint said:

I'm talking about the same old shite we heard years ago.

Are you really ignoring the money spent by wee Nicky on ths independance shite couldn't be put to better use?

And as said, pro indy parties have had over 50% before. 

That's a red herring. The SNP spend far more on mitigating unethical Tory policies such as the bedroom tax than they do on independence campaigning. Spending the money on independence is an investment to move away from the need spend £100s of millions combating ridiculous Tory policy & their failing approach to governance. It's a comparable drop in the ocean. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, bazil85 said:

And as said, pro indy parties have had over 50% before. 

That's a red herring. The SNP spend far more on mitigating unethical Tory policies such as the bedroom tax than they do on independence campaigning. Spending the money on independence is an investment to move away from the need spend £100s of millions combating ridiculous Tory policy & their failing approach to governance. It's a comparable drop in the ocean. 

There you go again, not answering the question.

Jog on, I've football to watch. :byebye

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, faraway saint said:

WHERE, exactly, did I say extreme views were only on one side?

This is your usual approach, you try to change the main point of a post to suit your simple approach to things. 

I'm glad you agree the post I quoted was extreme, in the extreme TBH. 

Your last sentence is very reasonable, well done. 

You said these views were the reason you wouldn't support independence, but why aren't they the reason you wouldn't support unionism? Doesn't seem to make much sense. 

I'm literally just responding to your posts. You obviously are just getting your back up because of my username (again). 

I absolutely agree with that, taking up arms was a pretty ignorant thing to say. 

Which kind of brings me back to the first point. If you accept they are on both sides, surely they cancel each other out and it makes more sense to make up your mind on independence based on politics and economy? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm talking about the same old shite we heard years ago.
Are you really ignoring the money spent by wee Nicky on ths independance shite couldn't be put to better use?
Whose money was spent and how much?

Her own? - she can do what she wants with that.
The SNP's? - I would imagine that most money the SNP raises will be to forward the case for independence, so it's right that it should be spent on that.
The ScotGov's? - After being voted in on a manifesto pledge of holding another referendum then there should be no issue with money being spent to try to achieve that.

"better" is a very subjective term.
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Slarti said:

Whose money was spent and how much?

Her own? - she can do what she wants with that.
The SNP's? - I would imagine that most money the SNP raises will be to forward the case for independence, so it's right that it should be spent on that.
The ScotGov's? - After being voted in on a manifesto pledge of holding another referendum then there should be no issue with money being spent to try to achieve that.

"better" is a very subjective term.

You are aware there are legal costs at every stage of the attempts to challenge the law?

You're not really saying that's money well spent in the current financial climate? 

Away and Goggle it yourself.

It's not only costs, it's time spend away fro other matters.

is it her own? You're really losing the plot this weather. :1eye

Away and play wi yourself, there's fitba to be watched, I know that's a weird concept for you. :byebye

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, faraway saint said:

You are aware there are legal costs at every stage of the attempts to challenge the law?

You're not really saying that's money well spent in the current financial climate? 

Away and Goggle it yourself.

It's not only costs, it's time spend away fro other matters.

is it her own? You're really losing the plot this weather. :1eye

Away and play wi yourself, there's fitba to be watched, I know that's a weird concept for you. :byebye

You are aware she's elected to government on a manifesto point to go for independence? I doubt many people voted on that with the assumption there were zero costs. :whistle

Link to comment
Share on other sites



You are aware there are legal costs at every stage of the attempts to challenge the law?
You're not really saying that's money well spent in the current financial climate? 
Away and Goggle it yourself.
It's not only costs, it's time spend away fro other matters.
is it her own? You're really losing the plot this weather. :1eye
Away and play wi yourself, there's fitba to be watched, I know that's a weird concept for you. :byebye


How much has been spent and how much time has been spent away from other matters (and what matters are they)? Just ball park figures will do, no need to be precise.

Of course I never thought it was her own money. However, as there was the slight chance that she had dipped into her own pocket to supply hobnobs for a meeting, I included it.

I've explained before, unless it's St Mirren or Scotland (or directly related games), I'm not interested in watching hours and hours of football. You are and that's fine, I'm not and that's also fine.
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, bazil85 said:

It’s from people with extreme views on each side. Utter nonsense to suggest it’s just independent supporters. 
 

Most people generally stick with the political & economic arguments. And I am struggling to see either argument for staying in the union right now… 

 

What a shower of brain dead f**ks 

As for that bammy bastard f**k off to England .these f**king idiots don't realise that there hated by the Tory party as much as everyone else in Scotland.

Edited by elvis
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...