Jim Purves Rip

div

Sad to report that Jim Purves, a neighbour of mine, St.Mirren director and really nice guy, passed away on Sunday evening.

I believe he was diagnosed with a serious illness only last week so it is a sudden passing.

Thoughts go to his family.

RIP buddie.

Official site has this tribute to Jim;

It is with great regret that we have to report that Club Director Jim Purves passed away suddenly in the Beatson Oncology Centre in Glasgow late on Sunday night after a short illness. He was 64.

Mr Purves, who owned pharmacies in Neilston Road and Causeyside Street, lived in the Castlehead area of Paisley for 30 years before moving to Elderslie last June with his wife, Evelyn. Brought up in Espedair Street in Paisley town centre, Mr Purves was a pupil at the John Neilson Institution before matriculating at Glasgow University, where he graduated with his degree in Pharmacy.

A keen sportsman all his life, he started going to St Mirren Park as a schoolboy with his dad, the late John Purves, who was affectionately known as Jack. He remained an avid Saints fan for the rest of his days and it was a proud moment when he was appointed a Director of St Mirren Football Club. The appointment meant he could take his place in the boardroom of the club which he had followed faithfully man and boy for more than 50 years.

Mr Purves’s love of sport was not just confined to watching St Mirren, however. For many years, he was wicket-keeper at Kelburne Cricket Club. And he was also an enthusiastic member of Paisley Golf Club. His talents also extended to singing and he was a member of Martyrs’ Church in Paisley’s West End, where he was a kirk elder.

He is survived by Evelyn, daughter Jennifer and son Alistair. Mr Purves was also a proud grandfather to Euan, Ruaridh and Lucy.

His funeral service will take place at Martyrs’ Church, Broomlands Street, on Monday, February 5, at 10.15am. All friends and family are respectfully invited. The committal will be held privately afterwards.

Mr Purves was a very popular figure with staff, players and fans alike at St Mirren Park and his passing has come as a sad loss to all who knew him. None more so than his wife Evelyn and their family to whom we would like to pass on our deepest condolences at this sad time

Guest The Shadow

I used to stay upstairs from his chemist in Causeyside and a nicer man you could not meet. He was well chuffed when he got on the board and over the years never failed to stop and have a natter. If he was selling tickets at Love St you knew that you'd be there for a while. I'm shocked and stunned. My thoughts go out to his family.

I was gutted when I heard this :(

The last 12 months were terrible for him, he lost loads of weight due to him having pneumonia and he was just getting back to fitness.

I spoke to him several times a week and I'd get the odd comp off him for away games, you would struggle to find a nicer person.

The guy was a total gentleman.

Condolances to the his family and friends.

He stayed down the road from me in Castlehead and only just moved away a few months back. I'd no idea he was so ill. I'd like to back up the folk who have said what a nice guy he was. Always had time to for a natter about Saints and didn't mind that you were pestering him about what was happening at the club. One of lifes good guys.

RIP Jim, and condolences to your family.