The Club Buy Out - 10000 Hours

And I fear certain people may be getting rather optimistic about potential uptake in this - not surprising considering some of the other potential sums I've heard they think they can generate. What happens if they budget for 3,000 folk signing up and only 1,000 do?

They haven't budgeted for anything like that take up. Take a zero away and you are closer to the mark.

You should wait and deal in facts rather than just pub rumours Stu, although as a journalist I guess that might be asking a bit much :P

They haven't budgeted for anything like that take up. Take a zero away and you are closer to the mark.

You should wait and deal in facts rather than just pub rumours Stu, although as a journalist I guess that might be asking a bit much :P

You're right, far better dealing in folk on here saying it's going to be pure dead brilliant and taking things at face value when they refuse to elaborate on that :P

I'm quite satisfied with the ins and outs of the CIC and what it will mean for St Mirren. There are a lot of positives and not so many negatives (although I'm not convinced they will get the backing of local businesses that they are expecting).

If it stops one individual being in control of the club then I'm quite happy.

The only unanswered question so far is what's in it for Richard Atkinson and Chris Stewart?

Edited by davidg

Not sure what you mean ?

10,000 hours is the name of the community interest company that has been formed for the purpose of taking the majority shareholding of St.Mirren Football Club into community ownership.

I was just wondering what the significance of the name is - if any.

Edited by Drew

I'm quite satisfied with the ins and outs of the CIC and what it will mean for St Mirren. There are a lot of positives and not so many negatives (although I'm not convinced they will get the backing of local businesses that they are expecting).

The only unanswered question so far is what's in it for Richard Atkinson and Chris Stewart?

Somehow I think that might be the No1 question at the public meetings.

Somehow I think that might be the No1 question at the public meetings.

If they can pull this off, then I'm not sure if many people would be unduly concerned as to the answer. In saying that, it is an interesting one.

My best guess is that this is a vehicle to demonstrate their business acumen with a human face attributes. It seems we are living in the Big Society after all <_<

Motivation is an interesting factor in all of this. Perhaps we should be asking what they stand to lose, however, as readily as what they have to gain. It seems they won't be losing a great deal of money, and who could blame them in that respect. Talking of respect, though, that is something that they do stand to lose if this goes pear-shaped. In saying that, observers with a degree of emotional detachment from the club would, even then, most likely laud them for their endeavours.

It is not unthinkable that Messrs Atkinson and Co. just believe that they are doing a good thing. The scope might well be there to generate a real sense of community spirit around the club, and perhaps these guys are simply getting a buzz out of leading this up.

Motivation at any level and in any sphere is a fascinating subject, and not one that is easy to articulate. Ultimately, just so long as these guys have no heinous motivation (and I cannot think of any reason why they would to be frank), then perhaps we should give them the benefit of the doubt....for now at least. That might sound a tad naive, but sometimes it is healthy and liberating to shake off the cloak of cynicism and look for the positives :)

Edited by Drew

You are watching ICE HOCKEY? YES

In a SHOPPING CENTRE? THE TILES ARE MURDER ON THE SKATES AND DODGING THROUGH PRIMARK IS HAZARDOUS. MAYBE WE WILL SAVE UP FOR A 4,000 SEAT ARENA ONE DAY

And the team is name after......A SHOPPING CENTRE? MAYBE READING COMPREHENSION IS BEYOND YOU

And people are supposed to identify with an "out of town mall" rather than their home town? I IDENTIFY WITH MY LOCAL TEAM

I am speechless. NOT SPEECHLESS ENOUGH

Hope the new owners can get some passion back about the club and the town. It's sad to see so many drift away, but indeed also quite understandable.

Was there any real need to try and belittle a minority sport thats on your doorstep ?

Speaking from my own POV, I'd be interested to know what value this would have for far-flung or exiled Buds (beyond good karma and a healthy glow of satisfaction).

I think I'd be happy to do my bit with a tenner a month if it means helping the club I love, particularly as I can't attend games - but not really sure what I could offer to a community club when I'm not part of the community in any real/geographical sense.

I think what I'm saying is, I don't mind paying the tenner but I'd still want some sort of involvement or inclusion. How would we be kept informed of issues as they arise? If you're voting on issues, would you get a postal/emailed vote?

Speaking from my own POV, I'd be interested to know what value this would have for far-flung or exiled Buds (beyond good karma and a healthy glow of satisfaction).

I think I'd be happy to do my bit with a tenner a month if it means helping the club I love, particularly as I can't attend games - but not really sure what I could offer to a community club when I'm not part of the community in any real/geographical sense.

I think what I'm saying is, I don't mind paying the tenner but I'd still want some sort of involvement or inclusion. How would we be kept informed of issues as they arise? If you're voting on issues, would you get a postal/emailed vote?

Good points and questions in there. Indeed, there should be some facility for the club to address the questions of those who live too distant to attend the public meetings but have a great interest in the welfare and future of St Mirren and ask valid questions such as yours.

It might be worth emailing the club using the OS to ask if there are any plans in this regard. I'm pretty sure that many others are in a similar position.

Surly there must be local businesses on board. Is CIC going to hand over this huge lump of money without a guarantee :blink:

I guess the next question is where does the initial investment come from. If £2m is required to buy the 52% of the club for the CiC where does this money come from - if the answer to this involves some sort of loan (soft or otherwise) I wouldnt be too comfortable.

I guess the next question is where does the initial investment come from. If £2m is required to buy the 52% of the club for the CiC where does this money come from - if the answer to this involves some sort of loan (soft or otherwise) I wouldnt be too comfortable.

What does it matter if its a loan?

The debt will be with the CIC - not the club.

It is not unthinkable that Messrs Atkinson and Co. just believe that they are doing a good thing. The scope might well be there to generate a real sense of community spirit around the club, and perhaps these guys are simply getting a buzz out of leading this up.

Motivation at any level and in any sphere is a fascinating subject, and not one that is easy to articulate.

Here lies the problem. The club and community spirit in the last year has been significantly eroded, please note that the new board members have been in office during this period. There appears to be a real apathy with the residents of the Town and the fans towards the Club. (to be fair it has been going on for years since the move)

My view is that ALL at the club have got so wrapped up in the CiC being the saviour of the club that they have forgot about the club. There was more of a community spirit at the old ground than there is now. Its not all todo with the product on the pitch. Its the whole thing, the Aberdeen ticket price issue, the wrong attendance figures getting announced every week (that really pisses me off) the poor pre match and half time experience and the provans issue to name but a few.

The ideas that are being put forward to encourage the community and the fans SHOULD have been implemented by the club many years ago without the need for a CiC. That if the club was beig run properly as a business

I attend the games and contribute financially to the club as a customer in the various methods. But I will not be paying money to be an elitist member of the club and allow cliques of people to be on the board. Its got the potential of being run like a bowling club.

Also £10/month from circa 300 fans would only generate £36,000. That is not going to set the heather on fire with any business plan.

Sorry to be so negative but in the absence of any info from the club or the CiC then we are just speculating.

We changing to a CIC club - We are changing to a CIC club.

Im confused .com :huh:

The club will be run by the 48% shareholders and the 52% CiC

The CiC will be run by the supporters and local businesses.

The club will only be a 52% run CiC.

Basically is you are one of the 48% shareholders then your shares are worthless. After all who is going to buy shares in a club that you will never be able to have an overall majority. It appears that the 52% shareholders are taking a combination of charity, supporters and local businesses money in order to get their pay off.

Your confused, my head hurts every time I have to try and explain to someone what our club are doing. I now just give them the truth, I don’t know.

I was just wondering what the significance of the name is - if any.

Isn't 10,000 hours ideally the amount of practice time required from being a kid to becoming a hlaf-decent professional footballer - something along those lines anyway.

Here lies the problem. The club and community spirit in the last year has been significantly eroded, please note that the new board members have been in office during this period. There appears to be a real apathy with the residents of the Town and the fans towards the Club. (to be fair it has been going on for years since the move)

My view is that ALL at the club have got so wrapped up in the CiC being the saviour of the club that they have forgot about the club. There was more of a community spirit at the old ground than there is now. Its not all todo with the product on the pitch. Its the whole thing, the Aberdeen ticket price issue, the wrong attendance figures getting announced every week (that really pisses me off) the poor pre match and half time experience and the provans issue to name but a few.

The ideas that are being put forward to encourage the community and the fans SHOULD have been implemented by the club many years ago without the need for a CiC. That if the club was beig run properly as a business

I attend the games and contribute financially to the club as a customer in the various methods. But I will not be paying money to be an elitist member of the club and allow cliques of people to be on the board. Its got the potential of being run like a bowling club.

Also £10/month from circa 300 fans would only generate £36,000. That is not going to set the heather on fire with any business plan.

Sorry to be so negative but in the absence of any info from the club or the CiC then we are just speculating.

I don't have an issue with any of that. Of course it is all speculation. I suspect the £10 p/m from a few hundered fans is a symbolic (shambolic?) token aimed at representing the initiative as inclusive. This cannot possibly be a key component of the business plan.

I've no idea what the future holds, but, as you point out, the present and recent past are hardly inspiring and have had all the hallmarks of a deepening malaise, so an injection of freshness and interest might not be a bad thing - assuming it doesn't crash and burn before it even gets going.

Isn't 10,000 hours ideally the amount of practice time required from being a kid to becoming a hlaf-decent professional footballer - something along those lines anyway.

Ah, yes - cheers. I think this notion has been applied to 'success' in a variety of fields (business, music, academia etc.). Smacks of drivel to me, right enough. I reckon self-hypnosis and crystals do the trick every time :ph34r:

Can i ask you serious question mate..and im not gettin at you or owt..but why are you pissed off at the wrong attendance being given...just curious..coz you hear howls of derision when its read out.

Is it not the length of time that has elapsed since St. Mirren last played a game where we didn't concede a goal in injury time.... :blink: