The Club Buy Out - 10000 Hours

What I find somewhat moronic is that for years - at least as many as I can remember - St Mirren fans have berated Old Firm fans about them not supporting their local football club. Yet here is an opportunity for the local football club to support it's local community and time and time again I see people posting about how they want their full tenner to go to the playing side of the club and that they couldn't care less about the community element of the project. Indeed I've even seen posts referring to a possible conflict between the community interest and that of the football club. I can only assume that those people haven't got the mental agility to figure out that support from the local community isn't a one way street.... :rolleyes:

What I find somewhat moronic is that for years - at least as many as I can remember - St Mirren fans have berated Old Firm fans about them not supporting their local football club. Yet here is an opportunity for the local football club to support it's local community and time and time again I see people posting about how they want their full tenner to go to the playing side of the club and that they couldn't care less about the community element of the project. Indeed I've even seen posts referring to a possible conflict between the community interest and that of the football club. I can only assume that those people haven't got the mental agility to figure out that support from the local community isn't a one way street.... :rolleyes:

Yet you have said that you don't care about St Mirren FC so it's a one way street where you're concerned.

Good post.....think I shall lie down now!

Yet you have said that you don't care about St Mirren FC so it's a one way street where you're concerned.

Yeah, I'm assuming you are struggling with the concept of what I said. Let me try again.

I grew up in the 1980s living in Hillington which, according to Google Maps, was 2.8 miles from Love Street. I went to various clubs and organisations like every child does and saw visits from Bobby Russell, Ally Dawson (both of r*ngers) and Danny McGrain and Davie Provan at c*ltic yet nothing from St Mirren. I remember my football team being taken on a tour of Ibrox - long before stadium tours were part of the commercial department - and in an era where there were only three stands at Ibrox. Nothing from St Mirren.

When the finances got tighter St Mirren pulled up the drawbridge. No more expenses paid to the players to cover their PR visits to schools and hospitals. Fall outs with local clubs over approaches to players without going through proper club protocol. A withdrawal of donations and gifts to help with fund raising and then to top it all off charging kids for admission instead of allowing them to be lifted over the turnstyle. And despite that there was still wonderment at why instead of the crowd numbers increasing they were actually on the decline. All during this time manager after manager would be quoted praising Alex Ferguson for taking his team out onto the streets of Paisley and dragging people in to watch the football - without ever having any idea or inclination of doing the same thing themselves.

Now Richard Atkinson has come along with a project that will take the brand back out into the community. It should widen the clubs appeal. It certainly should touch the lives of more people. And even better it looks like it's doing it the right way, helping because they are in a position to do so, rather than offering grudging assistance in return for a picture in the newspaper.

Me? You're right. I'm no St Mirren supporter. I couldn't care less about on the field results but if you think having the St Mirren brand work closely with 250 young Lanarkshire footballers will have results that only go one way I can only shrug my shoulders in sympathy. :rolleyes:

Howdy again…

Firstly thanks to all who have sent us telegrams of support. Some from far off haciendas many days ride away, special thanks in particular to you at the ole double (you know the letter) Ranch.

As we sat round the campfire after the ride east to the Hibees Hacienda, five of us trailblazers discussed what is likely to happen next. In the wagon on the trail home back seat 7er had suggested that, at the up and coming pow-wow at SMP, Bossman Gilmour would say that demotion wouldn’t be so bad as there would be more pesos from el SPL banco if Saints were demoted. This led to a heated discussion that lasted until we crossed the Rio Cart in town. Eventually all five agreed that the promise of dollars would be used to make relegation under the CIC more financially acceptable to the fans. Later in the saloon it was pointed out that with Saints ham-strung by the CIC project that the club would have to accept its place as it would not be able to raise cash like a normal commercial business. This would, to use a popular phrase, ‘asset lock’ St. Mirren into the First Division with no prospect of funding our way back to the top league – indefinitely. Season ticket sales would then drop. Gate charges would drop to First Division levels and fewer fans would visit. The CIC has stated that we would have to live within our means. That would mean First Division income only - as the CIC would be unable to contribute due to its debt level. The fans would be busy paying that back. We would be by-standers as the street cleared and the likes of Morton, Dundee, or Hamilton decided to shoot it out for promotion. As the fans then get fed up they drop by the wayside, CIC income drops. It would be a vicious circle.

Another telegram then came in telling us that there seems to be problems with some of the investors. That is to say there have been some very recent knock-backs.

Greedy eyes are being turned to cash stashed away by some fans’ groups according to one of the seven who is acting as lookout elsewhere.

Getting some of this booty will perhaps help fill yet another one of the business £10k places. This will no doubt be heralded as a triumph but if it does come to pass will just be yet another chip-in from WITHIN the club or from businesses associated with the whole project. We now wonder how odd the promoters of the CIC amongst the fans will find it when the list of 12 is finally pinned to the tree in the village square and is made up so. We laughed at the Stranger’s explanation as to why 12 – because there’s 12 unused seats in the directors’ box.

At the Thursday pow wow at the big house, before the Stranger spoke the Bossman suggested that Saints fans may prefer to play Falkirk and Morton rather than struggle against Killie and Aberdeen in the SPL, that the football might even be better. He also in effectIf as he suggested we might be happier playing Falkirk and Morton there would be no real TV money anyway. Well I’ll be darned, of course, the club would receive an extra fistful of dollars if relegated. So why bother then with r*agers and c*ltic at all? In every explanation the Bossman included the words r*ngers and c*tic.

The club then lives within its means, this presumably means that if relegated we accept our mid-table place in the First Division.

Local churches pay £500 a year to use SMP, that’s £10 per week. The club takes the bar profit, what a barrelage deal we must have with the brewers.

So if the CIC experiment fails it will be THEIR fault and theirs alone.

By then that won’t matter as they will have saddled up their ponies and headed west, leaving St. Mirren lying in the dirt

The Mysterious Stranger has now successfully taken us into May as he works away panning for taxpayers’gold and hoping that if it is not forthcoming that the fans will provide the paydirt required.

One suggestion that is particularly out of order is to put £10 on the cost of a season ticket in due course to ‘spread the load’ according to the Stranger. This would be outrageous. Fans wishing to pay directly into the CIC should do so that is fine. If season tickets are priced up in order to TAKE EVEN MORE MONEY FOR THE CIC FROM THE FANS the club will suffer. Those not wishing to contribute may choose not to buy season tickets. Football is expensive enough. How ironic would it be that the CIC costs Saints money by effectively imposing a CIC levy - which is exactly what this would be - on those who do not believe this to be the way forward, so much for community. This can only be opt in not opt out.

All we face is a majority shareholding being put up for sale. WE DON’T HAVE TO DO THIS.

As the tumbleweed rolls by and the whistling of the wind replaces detail, timelines, information, any semblance of real transparency, any word of real progress and the secret funders and secret companies on the list remain just that - a secret - after TWO public meetings, we hope the CIC doesn’t ultimately stand for Cowboy Investment Company!

£120 per season to help a Mysterious Stranger experiment on your club, it’s amazing what well meaning villagers will buy from a travelling salesman from the coast. His suggestion, (apart from the three board set-up) that the other 48% of shareholders gang together will split the club in the true sense. It would also create a fifth or even sixth group within the club. 52%, 48%, Exec board, CIC Board, SMFC board then the rest of the fans. Divide and rule stuff right enough.

The only thing that matters is our FOOTBALL club. It’s been kicking about since 1877. It deserves better than this. If the directors have had enough then we suggest they resign from the board, ask the other major and indeed smaller shareholders to hold an EGM and then appoint a new board. Then just put your shares up for sale in the normal way.

It’s banding together to form a group sale that is hindering the sale of any of the shares at all. IT IS THIS THAT IS PUTTING THE CLUB AT RISK - together with the experiments of the Stranger.

WELL that’s aS FAR as we GO for the moment. The stage is pulling out.

To be continued…

I enjoyed reading that and there's a couple of decent points in there.

I agree with the view on relegation, I'm curious as to SMiSA buying in and he's right about £500 going a long way. And he's made a valid point regarding St Mirren FC Ltd's internal workings.

I'm still supportive of the CiC, but I think it's worth keeping an open mind.

Why not, we'll have a lovely social space that will need used...I think you'll find there's every chance the CIC could be holding pensioners lunches.

I don't have a problem with the CIC doing that Kenny.

My only point was that this example was used by way of explaning the CIC social return on investment and suddenly it was getting used as fact by animal to (yet again) deride the St Mirren CIC.

Any social activities the CIC want to get involved with have my full backing. I think it's a great idea that the club will be getting more involved with the community. Something i think we're seeing a lot more of it recently. :)

I enjoyed reading that and there's a couple of decent points in there.

I agree with the view on relegation, I'm curious as to SMiSA buying in and he's right about £500 going a long way. And he's made a valid point regarding St Mirren FC Ltd's internal workings.

I'm still supportive of the CiC, but I think it's worth keeping an open mind.

There's keeping an open mind and there's quoting out of context in order to fit your agenda. Relegation was never mentioned in the CIC part of the meeting, Stuart Gilmour did ask or a show of hands on who would prefer to be struggling at the bottom of the SPL and who would prefer to be beating Falkirk, Morton etc on the way to winning the first division to prove the point winning games brings in fans. This was all during SG's talk on leagure recontruction and how it would be more beneficial to have a 10-12 SPL with more money for the SPL 2 teams than being relegated currently.

Yeah, I'm assuming you are struggling with the concept of what I said. Let me try again.

I grew up in the 1980s living in Hillington which, according to Google Maps, was 2.8 miles from Love Street. I went to various clubs and organisations like every child does and saw visits from Bobby Russell, Ally Dawson (both of r*ngers) and Danny McGrain and Davie Provan at c*ltic yet nothing from St Mirren. I remember my football team being taken on a tour of Ibrox - long before stadium tours were part of the commercial department - and in an era where there were only three stands at Ibrox. Nothing from St Mirren.

When the finances got tighter St Mirren pulled up the drawbridge. No more expenses paid to the players to cover their PR visits to schools and hospitals. Fall outs with local clubs over approaches to players without going through proper club protocol. A withdrawal of donations and gifts to help with fund raising and then to top it all off charging kids for admission instead of allowing them to be lifted over the turnstyle. And despite that there was still wonderment at why instead of the crowd numbers increasing they were actually on the decline. All during this time manager after manager would be quoted praising Alex Ferguson for taking his team out onto the streets of Paisley and dragging people in to watch the football - without ever having any idea or inclination of doing the same thing themselves.

Now Richard Atkinson has come along with a project that will take the brand back out into the community. It should widen the clubs appeal. It certainly should touch the lives of more people. And even better it looks like it's doing it the right way, helping because they are in a position to do so, rather than offering grudging assistance in return for a picture in the newspaper.

Me? You're right. I'm no St Mirren supporter. I couldn't care less about on the field results but if you think having the St Mirren brand work closely with 250 young Lanarkshire footballers will have results that only go one way I can only shrug my shoulders in sympathy. :rolleyes:

Yes of course there will be benefits to St Mirren FC in engaging more with the local community but your point was about people saying they wanted their money to go to the football club rather than the CIC.

In the long run that's still what I want to see. I have been sold this on the basis that my membership fee goes towards paying off the debt incurred to buy the majority shareholding of the football club. Once that's done I'd prefer any membership fee to go directly to the football club and the SMFC BOD could then decide how much of that could be used to support the CIC activities rather than the other way around. That's all I'm saying. Hopefully the community benefits will be such that this will be a no-brainer for the BOD but we don't know just how significantly the football club will benefit from the community involvement yet.

But your previous post hinted that it was a bad thing for people to want their money to go to the football club rather than the CIC. The way I see it is that if it is at all successful, the CIC should be generating income of its own and be self sufficient without any need for membership fees once the debt is cleared. If it's not I'm not sure that using membership fees to prop it up in the long run is even desirable, it needs to be able to run at no worse than breakeven without membership fees imo or it will not survive in the long term.

The fact of the matter is that it is St Mirren supporters who are being targeted to become members of the CIC. Like it or lump it the vast majority are going to put the interests of the football club before the CIC, except where they are one and the same.

Yes of course there will be benefits to St Mirren FC in engaging more with the local community but your point was about people saying they wanted their money to go to the football club rather than the CIC.

In the long run that's still what I want to see. I have been sold this on the basis that my membership fee goes towards paying off the debt incurred to buy the majority shareholding of the football club. Once that's done I'd prefer any membership fee to go directly to the football club and the SMFC BOD could then decide how much of that could be used to support the CIC activities rather than the other way around. That's all I'm saying. Hopefully the community benefits will be such that this will be a no-brainer for the BOD but we don't know just how significantly the football club will benefit from the community involvement yet.

But your previous post hinted that it was a bad thing for people to want their money to go to the football club rather than the CIC. The way I see it is that if it is at all successful, the CIC should be generating income of its own and be self sufficient without any need for membership fees once the debt is cleared. If it's not I'm not sure that using membership fees to prop it up in the long run is even desirable, it needs to be able to run at no worse than breakeven without membership fees imo or it will not survive in the long term.

The fact of the matter is that it is St Mirren supporters who are being targeted to become members of the CIC. Like it or lump it the vast majority are going to put the interests of the football club before the CIC, except where they are one and the same.

Always thought your heart was in the right place Lawstud, just that your head is in the brown stuff. Whilst I agree with the point you make your delivery is not the best and it certainly won't endear people to your views, which are often half decent but presented in an overly dramatic and negative way - and often overly aggresive ya fat turdbucket. :P

The point you make above is a pretty obvious one and most people have already worked that out. I don't think there is much to be gained by labouring the point It is similar to some of the points being made by and over played by the CIC dissenters. Sadly their points are lost among anti-CIC rhetoric and their now clear lack of credibility.

DS10 has it spot on - there is much work to be done in ensuring the CIC constitution represents the sort of protection we require against our concerns for the running of the club. We need to move on from the for / against dichotomy and begin the process of agreeing what the risks are and circumvent them through the ratification of the constitution. Anyone that genuinely cares about the club will want to move in that direction. Only those with petty personal issues will look to continue the anti-CIC nonsense. :wink:

Mrs. A and I were out and about today. We viewed a lovely big house, with lots of rooms, but to be honest it’s out of our price range. However the sellers are prepared to do a shared equity deal and that makes it a bit more affordable. We think we would need to find about £400 a month to pay the mortgage. I was wondering since I hear the CIC membership is probably going to be oversubscribed, at least to begin with, if any of you CIC supporters would be interested in a deal.

It’s really simple, I need 40 of you to pay me £10 a month. That will pay the mortgage.

What will you get in return I hear you say ?

Well for 30 Saturdays a year I will open the house from 2pm until 5pm to ANYONE who wants to watch football on the 50 inch plasma TV I will buy. (I’m hoping to get a grant for this). I will charge EVERYONE £10 for a ticket. Season tickets will be available for £250. Pies, Teas, Coffees and Bovril etc. will be on sale.

The 40 of you who agree to pay me £10 a month will, IN ADDITION, be admitted to the bar area which I will fit out - comfy seats, black and white décor etc. I know a ‘firm’ who can do this on the cheap. The bar will open from 12noon until 3pm and 5pm until 6pm. Drink will of course not be free – expect to pay the usual £3 for a bottle of Bud Bud !

Is anyone interested in this ? No. Thought not. But does it not sound familiar ?

Mrs. A and I were out and about today. We viewed a lovely big house, with lots of rooms, but to be honest it’s out of our price range. However the sellers are prepared to do a shared equity deal and that makes it a bit more affordable. We think we would need to find about £400 a month to pay the mortgage. I was wondering since I hear the CIC membership is probably going to be oversubscribed, at least to begin with, if any of you CIC supporters would be interested in a deal.

It’s really simple, I need 40 of you to pay me £10 a month. That will pay the mortgage.

Well for 30 Saturdays a year I will open the house from 2pm until 5pm to ANYONE who wants to watch football on the 50 inch plasma TV I will buy. (I’m hoping to get a grant for this). I will charge EVERYONE £10 for a ticket. Season tickets will be available for £250. Pies, Teas, Coffees and Bovril etc. will be on sale.

The 40 of you who agree to pay me £10 a month will, IN ADDITION, be admitted to the bar area which I will fit out - comfy seats, black and white décor etc. I know a ‘firm’ who can do this on the cheap. The bar will open from 12noon until 3pm and 5pm until 6pm. Drink will of course not be free – expect to pay the usual £3 for a bottle of Bud Bud !

Is anyone interested in this ? No. Thought not. But does it not sound familiar ?

So what you're trying to say is you're not a St. Mirren fan?

Why are you even posting on this forum?

The thing you're missing is that it isn't out of Richard's price range...

Supporter for only 40 years, shareholder and season ticket holder for 30 ish years - is that good enough for you ?

You were trying to draw comparisons with the CIC asking the fans to contribute with memberships and yourself having a ridiculous hypothetical membership scheme with members only bar, asking St. Mirren fans to contribute with memberships.

We all want to contribute to the CIC because we are St. Mirren fans.

I doubt there are any Animal fans.

So no, your daft idea of an Animal club doesn't sound familiar.

And no one gives a flying f**k how long you've been a St. Mirren fan for.

You were trying to draw comparisons with the CIC asking the fans to contribute with memberships and yourself having a ridiculous hypothetical membership scheme with members only bar, asking St. Mirren fans to contribute with memberships.

We all want to contribute to the CIC because we are St. Mirren fans.

I doubt there are any Animal fans.

So no, your daft idea of an Animal club doesn't sound familiar.

And no one gives a flying f**k how long you've been a St. Mirren fan for.

Speak for yourself Steve....I didn't realise the CIC was exclusive to St Mirren fans..... :o

Always thought your heart was in the right place Lawstud, just that your head is in the brown stuff. Whilst I agree with the point you make your delivery is not the best and it certainly won't endear people to your views, which are often half decent but presented in an overly dramatic and negative way - and often overly aggresive ya fat turdbucket. :P

The point you make above is a pretty obvious one and most people have already worked that out. I don't think there is much to be gained by labouring the point It is similar to some of the points being made by and over played by the CIC dissenters. Sadly their points are lost among anti-CIC rhetoric and their now clear lack of credibility.

DS10 has it spot on - there is much work to be done in ensuring the CIC constitution represents the sort of protection we require against our concerns for the running of the club. We need to move on from the for / against dichotomy and begin the process of agreeing what the risks are and circumvent them through the ratification of the constitution. Anyone that genuinely cares about the club will want to move in that direction. Only those with petty personal issues will look to continue the anti-CIC nonsense. :wink:

I'm a bit disappointed with your response there Sid. I know I haven't been around these parts for a while but I always remembered you as a quality poster, almost as good as Captain Sensible, but this post....well it makes me feel like I've taken a wrong turn, gone past the Waitrose and landed up in B&M Bargains rummaging in the out of date bucket. What happened to you? Did you get old? :P

Anyway after all that I'm not sure what your point was. Ofcourse what I was saying was obvious. I deal in the obvious. When I say St Mirren have been shite to watch for the last 10 years I don't think I'm providing a thought provoking insight missed by everyone else. When I say that the current board at St Mirren took more wrong turns than Mark Thatcher in the desert and ran out of fuel ages ago I don't think that's a startling revelation either. When I point out that singing "f**k the Pope and f**k the Queen" is bigoted I would have thought that too would have been totally obvious. And when I post that St Mirren has to give to the community before demanding that the community get behind the team I would have thought, as you've said, that too was f**king obvious.

Sadly there's still people who claim to enjoy watching St Mirren. There are still people who will claim Stewart Gilmour has been a great chairman. I was banned off the official forum for pointing out fans singing those songs were bigots. And I still see people posting on this forum that they want to join a CIC to give their money to St Mirren.....and somehow I'm the one being confrontational, negative and dramatic.... :rolleyes:

A couple of questions below that I posted in the Q&A thread but may need some debate on this thread.

As I understand it, any cash coming in from CIC membership goes to paying off the CIC debt? So any money given by the

fans (either £10pm x 300, or £5pm x 600, or £15 extra on the ST) is our annual debt contribution.

Any cash given over and above that amount will not be going to SMFC, but to pay off the CIC's debt. So, as long as SMFC contribute £36K pa till the debt is paid off, our side of the deal is being honoured.

Surely it should be easy for the club when sending out their yearly reminder to ST holders to include a poll with the various options before deciding on what route to take?

To allow the General Paisley Public to join the CIC, then you must allow them to buy a monthly membership, rather than buy an ST. Maybe both can be offered? and maybe there is the opportunity for SMFC to get more ST holders here...

For an existing ST holder:

£10 pm (£120 pa) or and extra £15 on top of the the ST (£15 pa) - who would be daft enough to vote for £10 pm?

Of course, those who do not wish to be part of the CIC, can have a £15 discount.

For a Non ST Holder:

£10 pm (£120 pa)

Maybe I'm being too simplistic here, but I only see that we - as SMFC - only need contribute £36k pa, so the cheaper the fans contribution the better in my eyes. Or is it in our interest to pay off the CIC's debt ASAP? Am I missing something?

BTW, I am not championing adding fifteen quid to ST prices. What I am saying is that if an ST holder wants to join the CIC, then there should be an option to pay £15 more for the ticket. Seems perfectly reasonable to me and I suspect would get more CIC members that way. A lot of fans maybe cannot afford £10pm ON TOP OF AN ST, but fifteen quid p.a.? its a no brainer

The more fans involved the better.

A couple of questions below that I posted in the Q&A thread but may need some debate on this thread.

BTW, I am not championing adding fifteen quid to ST prices. What I am saying is that if an ST holder wants to join the CIC, then there should be an option to pay £15 more for the ticket. Seems perfectly reasonable to me and I suspect would get more CIC members that way. A lot of fans maybe cannot afford £10pm ON TOP OF AN ST, but fifteen quid p.a.? its a no brainer

The more fans involved the better.

I don't see that being a CIC member and ST holder are mutually exclusive and at the last meeting RA did mention the possibility of adding a payment to the ST to cover CIC membership, but basically it would be up to the members. Similarly I think there would have to be the option of a normal season ticket without CIC membership. I would expect initially that the CIC membeshp fee will be set at £10 per month and if there is sufficient membership there may be a reduction in price but this would be up to the members to ratify, personally I think that £10 per month (even if oversubscribed) would be best so that more of the funding is paid back sooner. I think we're now getting to the stage where we can kick about ideas for the CIC constitution and it would probably be a good idea to have a seperate thread for this.

Very quiet on the CIC related threads for a few days now. Just noticed a pledge update and a couple of new news stories on 10000hours.org website.

... waits to allow tumbleweed to blow by...

Maybe we're all too busy buying clean underwear for the league run-in to concern ourselves with CIC related matters just now.

Edited by pozbaird

Very quiet on the CIC related threads for a few days now. Just noticed a pledge update and a couple of new news stories on 10000hours.org website.

... waits to allow tumbleweed to blow by...

Maybe we're all too busy buying clean underwear pampers for the league run-in to concern ourselves with CIC related matters just now.

There, fixed it for you. :rolleyes:

Edited to fix it for myself. :P

Edited by Tracy Barlow Loyal