Whisky Drinkers

thomsons dropped it

I went there on the recommendation of a Mr Cowan of Motherwell...

My drinks were warm courtesy of the broken fridge... my tomato still had a label stuck on it... and I ended up with food poisoning.

Still... I can't say I tried their whisky.

Really? That's the first bad report I've ever heard about it. I've been going there at least once a month for the last three years and the food quality is consistently good. I wouldn't imagine it was a case of someone else having been in the kitchen either. The owner - Derek Mather - has been the only chef I've ever seen in there. Leaving a label on a tomato doesn't sound like the kind of thing he'd do.

I've been to some great restaurants in the last year and the Artisan would be in the top five easily. Others in the top five would include The Old Bakehouse in West Linton, The Rocks in Dunbar, The Cockatoo at Craighall and Yen at the Rotunda - although I felt their standards had dropped a bit this year from previous years.

Still there. Avg 20+ Since new year. Hope your studying is going well. thumbup2.gif

an average of 20+ since new year - that doesn't make sense??? Anyhoo aye studying is just fab - not! Told heather available again just to keep my name in, only available 2 days a week so i'll not get much but i'd be happy just to pick up a cpl of days a month just to keep me ticking over and so they don't forget me. Still in the sp hall?

Really? That's the first bad report I've ever heard about it. I've been going there at least once a month for the last three years and the food quality is consistently good. I wouldn't imagine it was a case of someone else having been in the kitchen either. The owner - Derek Mather - has been the only chef I've ever seen in there. Leaving a label on a tomato doesn't sound like the kind of thing he'd do.

I've been to some great restaurants in the last year and the Artisan would be in the top five easily. Others in the top five would include The Old Bakehouse in West Linton, The Rocks in Dunbar, The Cockatoo at Craighall and Yen at the Rotunda - although I felt their standards had dropped a bit this year from previous years. 

I've been invited to a whisky night there in Feb so may give it another try then.

with 993 whiskies to get through, that's going to be a cracking night.

Maybe need to go back a 3rd time for another go when your mates from London are in town {aherm whistling.gif }

It's "over" 1300 varieties now according to their website.

A warning though - they aren't all good. I would avoid the "Artisan Blended Whisky" and any from the Czech Republic. To be honest I think that only discounts two leaving plenty of choice but when our football coaches were in there for a night out they broke out the Czech one. Now to be fair I've never drunk diesel is I don't know what it really tastes like but I think the Czech stuff that we drunk as a dare from the owner must have been as close as they could get.

Edited by Stuart Dickson

Now you're talking! I love Glenmorangie with a little bit of ice. At my twenty-first, my old man bought me Glenmorangie and put a bit of ice in it and that was the first time I'd ever tasted whisky!

At Christmas just past I bought my Dad a Caol Ila 12 year old which set me back a bit but he's my Dad and it was worth it to see his face on Christmas Day! smile.png

Thought you didnt drink ? lol.gif Stop it, you & your wicked sense of humour. Looking forward to next week , ill probably end up peeing myself laughin again ! thumbup2.gif

Now you're talking! I love Glenmorangie with a little bit of ice. At my twenty-first, my old man bought me Glenmorangie and put a bit of ice in it and that was the first time I'd ever tasted whisky!

At Christmas just past I bought my Dad a Caol Ila 12 year old which set me back a bit but he's my Dad and it was worth it to see his face on Christmas Day! smile.png

Just saw that ! Your 21st ? you cant remember anything about your 21st. you were so drunk we had to carry you home ! We had to stop you from fighting at the taxi rank , you wanted a kebab,even though you always insisted youd never touch that crap and you kicked off when you dropped it while chatting up that "person" who "wanted a bit " You were f**kin hilarious that night . where did you end up sleeping that night by the way?

Don't judge us all by your standards and personal life, Faraway Saint. rolleyes.gif

Mon Tay f**k John / Sid / Baw sack, I heard you and Stu Dickhead, where caught in the corporate Lounge Toilets in Greenhill Road, Sharing a chocolate Bar ? Was It a Careless Wispa - or The Real Thing, Cause George Michael was not present ? whistling.gif

Back on Topic.......

Had a couple of Glasses of Jura and finished off with a Highland Park miniature and I'm watching MoTD....

Dummet just went close for the Toon... Not a good night for them against a good Spurs side.

Good night for me though ....nologo.gif

• 2 weeks later...

Went to the whisky tasting night last night and happy to say nothing but positive feedback for the food, service or value for money.

Food was exceptional... no complaints whatsoever.

On topic... it was a Glengoyne and Smokehead night.

Six drams and a quality 3 course meal for £35 is great value in my books.

Only one setback... I was designated driver for ten partakers!!!

I did savour each bouquet though!

Favorites were the Glengoyne 15 year old followed by the cask strength. Those who partook agreed! The Isle of Skye is a blended whisky but was certainly not inferior to the malts.

Went to the whisky tasting night last night and happy to say nothing but positive feedback for the food, service or value for money.

Food was exceptional... no complaints whatsoever.

On topic... it was a Glengoyne and Smokehead night.

Six drams and a quality 3 course meal for £35 is great value in my books.

Only one setback... I was designated driver for ten partakers!!!

I did savour each bouquet though!

Favorites were the Glengoyne 15 year old followed by the cask strength. Those who partook agreed! The Isle of Skye is a blended whisky but was certainly not inferior to the malts.

Glad it was a good night, Brian.

There are plenty of blends that are better than some malts in my experience. Passport being one.

I've finished my bottle of Strathisla now. I was an easy to drink malt in the way that the likes of Aberlour is thoroughly enjoyable without being anything too dramatic. I'd certainly buy it again.

Edited by Drew

Glad it was a good night, Brian.

There are plenty of blends that are better than some malts in my experience. Passport being one.

I've finished my bottle of Strathisla now. I was an easy to drink malt in the way that the likes of Aberlour is thoroughly enjoyable without being anything too dramatic. I'd certainly buy it again.

As a thank you for being the driver, I was treated to a bottle of Artisans own label limited edition malt... bottle number 49 of 100!

One person said keep ir as it is a special one... another said drink it for the same reason!!!

Can't remember the name of the distillery it came from... starts with a c!!!

Not really a whisky "drinker" as such but every so often I like the thought of having a wee dram when on a break or sitting somewhere scenic and generally like to try different ones, I try to steer clear of "peaty" ones as I find the peatiness to be a bit over powering in the flavours.

However I was in Inverary last week for a couple of nights and thought a wee after dinner malt would be worth a try and after reading the hotels list of and descrption thought we'd try the Tobermory 10 year old, (mentioned earlier by Stuart) and I agree with him was a nice dram, a wee dash of water to bring out the flavours and it went down a treat.

When I find a good one it encourages me to try others. The next day after seeing all the sights of Inverary we nipped into the George for a quick pint or two of Peroni (under £4 a pint) and got speaking to a nice gentleman who had just returned to Inverary after being at his Grandsons wedding over the weekend and was still of fairly high spirits. Anyway got chatting to him and he was originally from Islay and he was singing the praises of the Islay malts (as most whisky drinkers do) and was insitant on buying us a dram, we asked him what he'd recommend etc, and he said the best was Bunnahbian (sic) however due to the price he was drinking Black Bottle, not to be rude we said we would have what he was having and it was also a pretty tasty whisky.

After enjoying a couple of good whisky's we thought why don't we go to the Whisky shop that you hear so much about in Inverary and see if we can get something that we liked as a souviner. It was like pulling teeth, the boy behind the counter was more interested in telling his colleague about some girl that was 16 and had been a jehova witness all her life but had escaped her parents and was now pregnant, he would answer our questions that we asked but wasn't really doing anything to ask us questions to help us find a Whisky worth buying so we left empty handed meaning he missed out on a potential sale, I was pretty disappointed by that.

We went back to the hotel without any Whisky but tried a McPhails 15 year old and a Dalmore 10 Year preferred the Dalmore I think but the Tobermory 10 year was the stand out of the trip.

Edited by Hambud

Not really a whisky "drinker" as such but every so often I like the thought of having a wee dram when on a break or sitting somewhere scenic and generally like to try different ones, I try to steer clear of "peaty" ones as I find the peatiness to be a bit over powering in the flavours.

However I was in Inverary last week for a couple of nights and thought a wee after dinner malt would be worth a try and after reading the hotels list of and descrption thought we'd try the Tobermory 10 year old, (mentioned earlier by Stuart) and I agree with him was a nice dram, a wee dash of water to bring out the flavours and it went down a treat.

When I find a good one it encourages me to try others. The next day after seeing all the sights of Inverary we nipped into the George for a quick pint or two of Peroni (under £4 a pint) and got speaking to a nice gentleman who had just returned to Inverary after being at his Grandsons wedding over the weekend and was still of fairly high spirits. Anyway got chatting to him and he was originally from Islay and he was singing the praises of the Islay malts (as most whisky drinkers do) and was insitant on buying us a dram, we asked him what he'd recommend etc, and he said the best was Bunnahbian (sic) however due to the price he was drinking Black Bottle, not to be rude we said we would have what he was having and it was also a pretty tasty whisky.

After enjoying a couple of good whisky's we thought why don't we go to the Whisky shop that you hear so much about in Inverary and see if we can get something that we liked as a souviner. It was like pulling teeth, the boy behind the counter was more interested in telling his colleague about some girl that was 16 and had been a jehova witness all her life but had escaped her parents and was now pregnant, he would answer our questions that we asked but wasn't really doing anything to ask us questions to help us find a Whisky worth buying so we left empty handed meaning he missed out on a potential sale, I was pretty disappointed by that.

We went back to the hotel without any Whisky but tried a McPhails 15 year old and a Dalmore 10 Year preferred the Dalmore I think but the Tobermory 10 year was the stand out of the trip.

I like Black Bottle... which is part of the range offered by Burn Stewart... a distillers with a base in East Kilbride...

their portfolio is impressive... including Tobermory and Bunnahabhain... as well as another decent basic blended whisky Scottish Leader.

http://www.burnstewartdistillers.com/home

Brian,

I'm planning on getting up for the Motherwell game at GHR {enroute to the inlaws in strathpeffer}, all this talk of whisky has whetted the appetite. Drams??

I'll be giving Dave M, Jimmy Boo & a few others a nudge too thumbup2.gif

Edited by Kombi Buddie

• 4 weeks later...

Just had a couple of large ones to finish off a bottle of Benromach......I am looking forward to the Caley game tomorrow...but with a wee bit of trepidation thrown in.

If After we have won tomorrow I'll pop in for a bottle of my favourite Balvenie cloud9.gif on the way home....it's only right. holiday.gif

Come on the Saints !!!!