Average Speed Cameras Coming Soon To An A9 Near You

E=Mc2

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-highlands-islands-23462860

Good or bad idea?

Could this result in long processions of vehicles even on the dual carriageways?

A good idea IMO.

Apparently a similar scheme on the A77 has reduced fatalities by 46% and serious accidents by 35%.

My wife travels this road regularly and says that she sees crazy driving, mostly at ridiculously high speeds, every time she uses the road.

Having average speed cameras on this stretch of road will be fairly ineffective as most stop for a coffee,toilet bit of shopping at The House of Bruar or Avimore that and getting stuck behind a Caravan on a single lane section will keep most journeys to the average speed may however have helped the Girl last week who was sitting in Bruar, tears streaming down her face as she had been flashed doing over 100mph , Oh how I laughed.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-highlands-islands-23462860

Good or bad idea?

Could this result in long processions of vehicles even on the dual carriageways?

No this is brilliant news.

Maybe this is what needs to happen on all roads.

I don't see why not.

It will cut down on speed whilst removing the main arguments against speed cameras which is that you are forced to watch for cameras rather than the road and that everyone just speeds up again.

Having average speed cameras on this stretch of road will be fairly ineffective as most stop for a coffee,toilet bit of shopping at The House of Bruar or Avimore

I'm afraid you're wrong about this. Your average speed won't just be from when you enter the A9 to when you leave. It'll be measured over each mile or two.

There's going to be no avoiding it. This will end speeding almost entirely.

I wonder, while they are at it if they would put some cameras in the traffic lights at the Raith interchange. I cannot believe the idiots who ignore red lights and decide they are going through them. I can understand, to some extent, drivers going through as it changes to amber but when you have the green light and about to drive off and some idiot is going through a red light to the right then something has to be done. Too many accidents are caused around the Raith simply through impatient drivers not stopping when they are meant to. You really have to wonder what is going on as it appears this sort of incident is fairly common these days.

Long needed on the A9. Good.

Speeding drivers are to be feared. They also hold the rest of us up overall; as I understand it traffic management systems are broadly optimized for driving within limits, with speeding the main cause of delays as more traffic than anticipated from legal speed driving arrives at junctions, lights, roundabouts etc more quickly than they can be processed through. These drivers must think that the limits somehow don't apply to them, or they feel they have to go quicker because some arsehole flashes their lights, tailgates or gesticulates at them. Ultimately, I've come to the view that people who can't keep within the speed limit don't have the strength of character to do so.

Long needed on the A9. Good.

Speeding drivers are to be feared. They also hold the rest of us up overall; as I understand it traffic management systems are broadly optimized for driving within limits, with speeding the main cause of delays as more traffic than anticipated from legal speed driving arrives at junctions, lights, roundabouts etc more quickly than they can be processed through. These drivers must think that the limits somehow don't apply to them, or they feel they have to go quicker because some arsehole flashes their lights, tailgates or gesticulates at them. Ultimately, I've come to the view that people who can't keep within the speed limit don't have the strength of character to do so.

It's been proven that speeding results in long processions, when everybody catches up with the slow drivers.

Yep this is my understanding as well.

It's why properly managed speed limits at peak times cut congestion significantly.

BTW ever wondered why you can be in a traffic jam for 20 minutes and then suddenly it clears with no apparent reason for the delay?

Interestingly it's because the head of the traffic jam goes backwards once the accident is cleared.

In cases where long jams have formed, by the time the queue and backlog disappears the head of the queue can be several miles away from where the jam first started.

We all know the tail of the queue goes backwards as more cars join the queue but how many knew the head goes backwards as well?

I didn't until I watched some guy on the telly many years ago explain the maths behind it.

Fascinating.

In general terms I think it's a good thing, but I'd like to make a point that I think has been missed so far. The word "Average" is the key here. The cameras will take a recording of your average speed between each section, so if the limit is say 60mph and you're doing 70mph, then you reduce your speed in the next section to 50mph and your average speed over the two sections is 60mph.

There are also "Grey areas" where if you are above the limit but change lanes, then you cannot be prosecuted? Total bull if you ask me!

Then there is the question of funding these cameras. I'm lead to believe that the A77 version is funded jointly by Ayrshire Council and the Police? Not every camera will be in use either as it's too expensive to maintain every section of road. As I've said I'm all for it even though I drive for a living, and it's been proved on many occasions that heavy traffic travelling at roughly the same speed runs smoother.

It's the same advice though, if you're travelling within the speed limit, they can't touch you.

I do prefer average speed cameras to those stupid cameras that make certain drivers suddenly brake and go about 10 miles an hour below the speed limit even though they weren't speeding. I'm not so sure it will be such big help on the A9, to me a big part of the problem is the lack of overtaking places so someone sees half a chance and they go for it. With trucks reduced to 50 mph, caravans at the same speed and tourists enjoying the scenery, more passing places are needed until it is finally dualled.

As for traffic jams, there was an experiment a few years ago, first all of the drivers were told to drive at 50 mph exactly and the traffic flowed freely. The they were all told to drive about 50 mph, some drove at say 48mph while others drove at 52mph and it wasn't long before the slow drivers were caught up resulting in a tail back, big gaps then another tail back.

I do prefer average speed cameras to those stupid cameras that make certain drivers suddenly brake and go about 10 miles an hour below the speed limit even though they weren't speeding. I'm not so sure it will be such big help on the A9, to me a big part of the problem is the lack of overtaking places so someone sees half a chance and they go for it. With trucks reduced to 50 mph, caravans at the same speed and tourists enjoying the scenery, more passing places are needed until it is finally dualled.

As for traffic jams, there was an experiment a few years ago, first all of the drivers were told to drive at 50 mph exactly and the traffic flowed freely. The they were all told to drive about 50 mph, some drove at say 48mph while others drove at 52mph and it wasn't long before the slow drivers were caught up resulting in a tail back, big gaps then another tail back.

Yes that's a good point. Sort the speeding out first but the overtaking and tailgating will need dealt with soon afterwards.

Overtaking issues should be resolved by the dualling of the road but I don't know how you solve the tailgating issue.

That problem is getting worse.

Tailgating issue is sorted easily,Stop hogging the middle lane and stop driving so f**king slow on the outside lane.

Tailgate the Cunts till they get the msg.

You want us to avoid the middle and outside lane of a largely single lane carriageway????

Get back to your sausages ya mad nutter.

I'm afraid you're wrong about this. Your average speed won't just be from when you enter the A9 to when you leave. It'll be measured over each mile or two.

There's going to be no avoiding it. This will end speeding almost entirely.

exactly, you can be caught by only passing 2 cameras

Average speed cameras can be beat pm me for details.

it will be hard to pm you when your car is wedged under a truck

ETA or when your head has just been flattened on your steering wheel because the car you've been tailgating suddenly stops

Edited by buddiecat

Guest TPAFKATS

We all know the tail of the queue goes backwards as more cars join the queue but how many knew the head goes backwards as well?

I didn't until I watched some guy on the telly many years ago explain the maths behind it.

Fascinating.

Aye, back in the days when telly was interesting, eh oakstur tongue.png

I'm up and down the A9 regularly and the biggest problem is the volume of tourists driving too slow or failing to recognise/understand the road constantly changing from single to dual carriageway.

Average speed cameras won't stop the idiots pulling out to overtake when they're doing 5mph faster than the traffic ahead.

Average speed cameras have worked on certain roads but they aren't the answer on this

Is road IMO. Until this is upgraded to dual carriageway it will remain one of the most deadliest roads in the uk.

Edited by davidg

it will be hard to pm you when your car is wedged under a truck

ETA or when your head has just been flattened on your steering wheel because the car you've been tailgating suddenly stops

I had someone tailgaitng me once on a road I know fairly well, even though I was slightly over the speed limit. As I said I know the road and I knew where there was a large pothole and left it as late as I could to swerve round and avoid it then looked in the rear view mirror as the front of the car behind me dipped into the pothole. After that the other driver left enough distance between us so they could clearly see the road.

The section in bold hits the nail on the head. I have been using this road for 30 odd years and still see nutters "going for it" because they have been stuck behind a

convoy of slow moving vehicles. We have needed this road dualled long ago and it pisses me off that we can chuck money away elsewhere when it could have been used on the A9. What a fu**up with those trams.......how can the council sign a deal and as soon as the job starts the Contractors say they need more money......

And they get it!!!!! Who brokers these deals.?? The main route North and it is a shambles, some of you will get a taste of it on Saturday, remember and stay calm....

And as for the A96death.gif

Rant over...